The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

It's DEFINITELY not going to be Chadd Cassidy. I think Murray should clean house in Rochester too.

Like hoping for McDavid but settling for Eichel, I'm hoping for Babcock but I can't really say who with I'd be satisfied. I know who I don't want more than who I do want.

Past relationship aside, how attractive would working for someone like Murray be to Babcock? Murray admitted yesterday there wasn't good communication with the coach and essentially took half the blame for that. Murray also suggested the coach didn't have any say or input in trades or player moves. Is someone of Babcock's stature going to "just coach"? It seems to me — nice pretentious cliche for a Monday morning — that Murray will have to agree to change his stripes in order for the Sabres to land Babcock.

Past relationship aside, how attractive would working for someone like Murray be to Babcock? Murray admitted yesterday there wasn't good communication with the coach and essentially took half the blame for that. Murray also suggested the coach didn't have any say or input in trades or player moves. Is someone of Babcock's stature going to "just coach"? It seems to me — nice pretentious cliche for a Monday morning — that Murray will have to agree to change his stripes in order for the Sabres to land Babcock.

I don't think so. The refrain of if I am cooking the dinner, i should shop for the groceries doesn't apply in Murray's case. He is a professional shopper. Tell him what you want to make and he will go out and get good ingredients. Provided you are cooking wholesome Canadian fare and not that new age vegan shyte.

They will kick the tires on Babcock but this will end up being Richardson. He will be a first time coach so Murray will have the comfort level of being able to 100% call all the shots.

Babcock has 100 times more credibility as a coach that Murray has as a GM. No way he comes in here as Murray's bitch.

They will kick the tires on Babcock but this will end up being Richardson. He will be a first time coach so Murray will have the comfort level of being able to 100% call all the shots.

Babcock has 100 times more credibility as a coach that Murray has as a GM. No way he comes in here as Murray's bitch.

Murray says he doesn't micromanage the coach and I believe him. He certainly didn't for Nolan. Why would it be different for Babcock? 

You know, sometimes I read posts without checking who wrote them first. But one or two sentences in I know which ones are yours.

I think when you have respect for a coach and trust his ability you probably treat him differently.  Just because Murray talk to Nolan doesn't mean he doesn't talk to anyone.  If he doesn't value what Nolan has to say about player moves why bother talking to him then?  

If he's going out to hire the coach he's not going to pick someone he can't work with.  Don't try and shoe horn everything into the existing scenario.

I expect the list is two with and outside shot at 3.  Babcock, Richardson, and Bylsma (outside shot).  I also think it's in that order and it should be.  Babcock is a proven winning coach in the NHL and Internationally.  Every team will be vying for him (of those who are looking for a coach, and I suspect that those who have a coach might kick the tires). 

My pool of candidates:

1. Babcock

2. McLellan

3.. Bylsma

4.. Richardson

5.. Deboer

6.. Boucher

7. Brent Sutter

8. Paul Maclean

9. Tippet * (under contact)

10. Lindy Ruff (just kidding PA) :P

Oh god no.  I'm having flashbacks to that Philly-Tampa game where they just sat with the puck behind their own net, refusing to carry it up ice.

I think when you have respect for a coach and trust his ability you probably treat him differently.  Just because Murray talk to Nolan doesn't mean he doesn't talk to anyone.  If he doesn't value what Nolan has to say about player moves why bother talking to him then?  

If he's going out to hire the coach he's not going to pick someone he can't work with.  Don't try and shoe horn everything into the existing scenario.

I expect the list is two with and outside shot at 3.  Babcock, Richardson, and Bylsma (outside shot).  I also think it's in that order and it should be.  Babcock is a proven winning coach in the NHL and Internationally.  Every team will be vying for him (of those who are looking for a coach, and I suspect that those who have a coach might kick the tires). 

I agree that this list is basically two people. If the Sabres and Pegule bucks can lure Babcock than that will be our coach, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Babcock decides to go elsewhere for personal preference reasons, and if that happens than Richardson is the coach. 

Way too much smoke on the Richardson side for him not to be the "safety school" choice for GMTM. But they will pursue Babcock first.

Pretty sure Murray has little interest in building a relationship with his new coach.

He's looking to hire someone who he already has a relationship with.

I am getting the distinct impression that Murray has pretty loose lips away from the cameras.

With Myers and now Nolan, we're starting to see that smoke can equal fire where he is concerned.

There's a past with Babcock and Richardson.

It's odd Babcock has yet to sign with Detroit.

It's eye-browing raising that a young up-and-comer like Richardson didn't jump at the Ottawa job.

I will be very surprised if it's not one or the other.

I understand the firing of Nolan.  I don't like it, but that's ok.  Moving forward.  A couple of things in Murray's presser that raise little yellow flags.  

Whenever there is a communication problem there is always two sides to it.  Murray and Nolan share that responsibility.  Unless Murray went to Nolan and Nolan simply told him to eff off, Murray is as responsible for this as Nolan is.

Murray stated that the way he works is that he provides the players and the coach has no say.  If that's literally true, why would any big name coach work for him.

Lastly, Murray says he needs to find the "perfect fit" as coach.  "Perfect fits" are a very small group that the Sabres will be picking from and might indicate that Murray needs to do everything his way and the coach has to fit into that.  Not necessarily a good way to work.

I still like Murray alot, I understand why he needed to let Nolan go, but that presser yesterday could be very revealing going forward.

I agree that if Babcock comes in, it will be with the understanding that he has substantially more influence than Nolan had.

I also think that TM's statement yesterday that he is going to wait because he wants to see who becomes available from teams who are in the playoffs means that they are going to take a shot at Babcock.

I also think that if the Sabres get lucky in the lottery and get #1, they have a very good shot at Babcock.

And that would be pretty freaking exciting.