Draft Redo: Malkin vs. Ovechkin

WildCard

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which player would you draft knowing what you do today?

• Ovechkin
    • Malkin
  2. 2. Which player would you have drafted in 2004?

• Ovechkin
    • Malkin

So I watched Hockey Central today and something caught my attention, one of them mentioned Malkin's injury history, and how both should be in the prime of their careers. I nodded to myself and thought "well of course, Ovechkin has been tearing it up every year" then I thought about Malkin and realized he's been largely average since his one and only 50 goal season in 2011. Now, "largely" is an extremely relative word here and I mean it more in the sense that he has been average in comparison to Ovcehkin, his draft-hype, where he was drafted, and how many perceive of him as the 3-4th best player in the world. 

So, here is my question: Given all of the information we now know about both players, and given you have a roster with no dramatic edge in need towards RW or Center, would you still take Ovechkin over Malkin? It's center vs RW, proven Cup winner vs. stats, Ruski vs. Ruski.

Me personally, I take Ovechkin. He's healthy more often, puts up better stats (albeit at a less demanding position), and is just a bigger impact than Malkin.

Here are the stats for both players

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=722892

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/o/ovechal01.html

And last year nhl.com did a 2004 redo and wrote why the have Malkin edged over Ovechkin

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=722892

Edited by WildComrade

I've always loved Ovi.  The way he plays is incredibly unique. Nobody else hits, skates, and shoots like that guy.

Geno is basically Getzlaf.  Still fun to watch, but not generational.

I compare Ovi to Crosby and what you see with Crosby is a guy with a lot of talent (and sure he uses it), but also a guy that takes a lot of cheap shots and gets away with it, but when someone hits him, he's all boo-hoo.  Ovechkin might not have the pure talent that Crosby has (though he is a better shooter), but at least he plays an honest game.  If he's gonna hit you, it's up front, not some sneaky slew-foot.  And when he gets crushed he bounces back up and skates back into the play, no crying. 

I compare Ovi to Crosby and what you see with Crosby is a guy with a lot of talent (and sure he uses it), but also a guy that takes a lot of cheap shots and gets away with it, but when someone hits him, he's all boo-hoo.  Ovechkin might not have the pure talent that Crosby has (though he is a better shooter), but at least he plays an honest game.  If he's gonna hit you, it's up front, not some sneaky slew-foot.  And when he gets crushed he bounces back up and skates back into the play, no crying. 

I think Danny Briere might object to that statement. I'm not anti-Ovechkin, but it's not like he's completely clean either.

I went just to find the clip of Db getting boarded and found this. #6, oddly enough, is a slew-foot.

I think Danny Briere might object to that statement. I'm not anti-Ovechkin, but it's not like he's completely clean either.

I went just to find the clip of Db getting boarded and found this. #6, oddly enough, is a slew-foot.

I won't disagree.  I think he's cleaned up his game some.  It might also just be perception.  I just see Crosby as a little weasel and Ovi as a lumbering bear.  One might make the argument that Ovi is more of a GMTM-type player.

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

If I could erase Malkin's injury history I'd take him. I think the talent is close enough where I'd grab the center. However, that's not really possible, is it? I enjoy watching Ovechkin more than any player in the league, and he's basically never hurt, so I'll take him. But without the injuries I don't think this is nearly as clear cut.

Crosby vs. Ovechkin is still a debate.

Hockey is different than soccer,.  In hockey, fans and evaluators put very much significance into second assist, often, when it is all tallied up at the end of season, ranking it on par with goal scored.

Highest point total is held in higher regard than most goals scored.  Art Ross Trophy is both older and better known than Rocket Richard Trophy.

In soccer, there is no stat counting second assists, and goals are held in much higher esteem than helpers.

I don't have a good argument for why so much value is placed on assists in hockey, compared to soccer.

Ovi all day any day. Ovi has so many check marks on my must have great player list.

fast skater? yep

great shot? you bet

loves to shoot the puck? ooo ya

willing able and wanting to lay people out? yep

listening to him talk do you question his sanity? check

sure he has some bad traits too.

back checking? ...it could be called that

leader? ummm not really

coach killer? you may have stats to prove a case

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.