Foligno - Girgensons - Gionta

Deslauriers - Larsson - Grigorenko

Bogosian - Risto

Zadorov - Pysyk

Georges - Weber/McCabe

Talbot/Anderson

Johnson

Babcock as coach

I cognize that this means the trade for ROR only involved picks and prospects.  Having said that 4 of your top 6 forwards played less than 10 games for the Sabres last year.  On your third line, Girgs and Gionta were hurt for awhile.  On the fourth line Grigo only played 25 games and Larsson a half season.  On D you have Georges back after missing a bunch of time, Pysyk now playing top 4 minutes, the potential for McCabe to step in and contribute and Risto and Zad are now a year older.  Plus the Babcock factor. 

Edit - I love the addition of Sekera to that top 4.

Bogo - Risto

Sekera - Pysyk or Zad

In conclusion you have 6 forwards and potentially 2 Dmen or 8 of 18 players who played 10 games or less for the Sabres.  Plus a new coach.

Edited by Derrico

What are you offering in terms of years and length for Toffoli?

I really don't know, I am not sure what LA would match...but I would take him for at least 4-5 years at $3-$4 million.

He deserves to be paid better than Hodgson, I do know/think that.

However, I think the bigger obstacle would be O'Reilly...we would need a new contract for him prior to making this trade. (I'm not giving that up for one year.)

Kane - Eichel - O'Reilly

Moulson - Reinhart - Ennis

Foligno - Girgensons - Gionta

Deslauriers - Larsson - Grigorenko

Bogosian - Risto

Zadorov - Pysyk

Georges - Weber/McCabe

Talbot/Anderson

Johnson

Babcock as coach

I cognize that this means the trade for ROR only involved picks and prospects.  Having said that 4 of your top 6 forwards played less than 10 games for the Sabres last year.  On your third line, Girgs and Gionta were hurt for awhile.  On the fourth line Grigo only played 25 games and Larsson a half season.  On D you have Georges back after missing a bunch of time, Pysyk now playing top 4 minutes, the potential for McCabe to step in and contribute and Risto and Zad are now a year older.  Plus the Babcock factor. 

Edit - I love the addition of Sekera to that top 4.

Bogo - Risto

Sekera - Pysyk or Zad

In conclusion you have 6 forwards and potentially 2 Dmen or 8 of 18 players who played 10 games or less for the Sabres.  Plus a new coach.

Grigorenko is not playing on the 4th line, and would be involved in any trade for O'Reilly, in my opinion.

Talbot? Meh. He has had one stint of good games, will be 28 years old already...and probably cost more than he is worth.

EDIT: And I want my defense setup with 3 rights and 3 lefts. (Although I guess the 3rd pairing doesn't really matter.)

Who is your Anderson? Frederick or Craig? I don't think either of them come available, to be honest.

If Buffalo finishes 14th they have a chance to draft 1-3

Just remembered that as I closed the page. Lol.

(I love those 7 kids I named...I think they will all be very good.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

I really don't know, I am not sure what LA would match...but I would take him for at least 4-5 years at $3-$4 million.

He deserves to be paid better than Hodgson, I do know/think that.

However, I think the bigger obstacle would be O'Reilly...we would need a new contract for him prior to making this trade. (I'm not giving that up for one year.)

Grigorenko is not playing on the 4th line, and would be involved in any trade for O'Reilly, in my opinion.

Talbot? Meh. He has had one stint of good games, will be 28 years old already...and probably cost more than he is worth.

EDIT: And I want my defense setup with 3 rights and 3 lefts. (Although I guess the 3rd pairing doesn't really matter.)

Who is your Anderson? Frederick or Craig? I don't think either of them come available, to be honest.

Just remembered that as I closed the page. Lol.

(I love those 7 kids I named...I think they will all be very good.)

Fredrick Anderson.

Who is Grigo knocking out of the top 3 lines?  Gionta?  Foligno?  Can't send him to Roch.

Edit - My thinking is this is not a typical 4th line and they play more minutes than most.  This somewhat protects the rookies centering the top 2 lines with slightly less minutes.

Edited by Derrico

And the more I think about this...I could come up with probably a dozen lineups I would like to see and be cool with. Lol.

The more I sit there and tinker with the roster/lineups, I realize exactly how many options GMTM REALLY has. It's amazing, to be honest.

(And quite frankly, it pisses me off when people don't think Buffalo has anything...or that these prospects WON'T be good. A kid I coached works for the Lightning, I tell him all the time, "better get that cup now...the Sabres are coming." He tells me every time how these kids won't all develop, no matter how many good ones you think you have. He doesn't realize Buffalo is being built similarly to Tampa Bay, Los Angeles, Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc.)

Fredrick Anderson.

Who is Grigo knocking out of the top 3 lines?  Gionta?  Foligno?  Can't send him to Roch.

Edit - My thinking is this is not a typical 4th line and they play more minutes than most.  This somewhat protects the rookies centering the top 2 lines with slightly less minutes.

Grigorenko is not knocking anyone out of the top-3, because in my scenario, he is playing in Colorado...and Ryan O'Reilly is a Sabre.)

And the more I think about this...I could come up with probably a dozen lineups I would like to see and be cool with. Lol.

The more I sit there and tinker with the roster/lineups, I realize exactly how many options GMTM REALLY has. It's amazing, to be honest.

(And quite frankly, it pisses me off when people don't think Buffalo has anything...or that these prospects WON'T be good. A kid I coached works for the Lightning, I tell him all the time, "better get that cup now...the Sabres are coming." He tells me every time how these kids won't all develop, no matter how many good ones you think you have. He doesn't realize Buffalo is being built similarly to Tampa Bay, Los Angeles, Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc.)

Grigorenko is not knocking anyone out of the top-3, because in my scenario, he is playing in Colorado...and Ryan O'Reilly is a Sabre.)

I could easily see Grgo get traded.  We really do have a good stockpile of young D.  I question whether either of our lineups even hit the cap floor though.

Exclude Pittsburgh from that last post but yes Buffalo is building similar to TB, Chicago

Crosby, Malkin - Reinhart, Eichel...that's where I was going...building with high draft picks.

I could easily see Grgo get traded.  We really do have a good stockpile of young D.  I question whether either of our lineups even hit the cap floor though.

I saw where we needed $13 million? Sekera (top d-man available deal), O'Reilly (new deal), Toffoli (offer sheet), Niemi...that is far more than $13M.

Sekera and O'Reilly alone could add up to $13M, if you think about it.

Edited by Bob Malooga

Ya I guess yours easily does.  Mine would be close.  What r you thinking on ROR?  8 x 6?

While on ROR, it is going to be tough trading for him prior to July 4th without a long term deal.

Edited by Derrico

Ya I guess yours easily does.  Mine would be close.  What r you thinking on ROR?  8 x 6?

While on ROR, it is going to be tough trading for him prior to July 4th without a long term deal.

I believe he is making $6M/year right now, it might cost upwards of $7M...but I honestly think he's worth it, he just keeps getting better.

A power play of Kane - Eichel - O'Reilly? Gives me chills just thinking about it...big bodies, tons of skill...so exciting to me.

But, what is July 4th and how does it relate to trying to trade for O'Reilly? I'm a little confused about that part.

*****************************************************************************************************************************

I have never, in my life, been this excited about the Sabres (or the Bills)...

Only difference is, the Bills are built and I just want to see them win...the Sabres though, they are about to build the team and I'm ecstatic.

(First time in my life that I have been more excited about the NHL draft, than the NFL draft...and it wasn't the lack of a 1st for the Bills either.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

A player cannot sign an extension to his contract more than one year from the expiration of said contract I believe.  His deal runs out in July 1st or 4th or around then 2016 so he can start discussing an extension in early July 2015.  Problem is I think that 2nd first round pick would be a good bargaining chip in a trade but unless Murray unofficially talks numbers with ROR agent, we won't be able to use that draft pick as part of the deal as we won't want to make the deal until he signs an extension.

Edit -  that was pretty wordy but it's the Friday before a long weekend so my mind is shutting off. 

Edited by Derrico

A player cannot sign an extension to his contract more than one year from the expiration of said contract I believe.  His deal runs out in July 1st or 4th or around then 2016 so he can start discussing an extension in early July 2015.  Problem is I think that 2nd first round pick would be a good bargaining chip in a trade but unless Murray unofficially talks numbers with ROR agent, we won't be able to use that draft pick as part of the deal as we won't want to make the deal until he signs an extension.

Edit -  that was pretty wordy but it's the Friday before a long weekend so my mind is shutting off. 

I understand better now, thank you. (No way a trade is made without contract talks between ROR's camp and Buffalo...everything hinges on that new deal, without a doubt.)

I found out it's July 23rd...

"On July 23, 2014, O'Reilly and the Avalanche agreed to a two-year contract worth $12 million."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_O%27Reilly_(ice_hockey)

Anybody who wouldn't want this kid on the team, is crazy...he is easily a top-6 forward on the Sabres.

He is one of the top-2 leading scorers for Canada in the tournament right now, and was one of the hottest players in the league down the stretch.

(I think he is better off on the wing, with a good center...that is where he has found the most success...and that is where he would be if Murray snagged him in a trade.)

"On July 23, 2014, O'Reilly and the Avalanche agreed to a two-year contract worth $12 million."

Anybody who wouldn't want this kid on the team, is crazy...he is easily a top-6 forward on the Sabres.

He is one of the top-2 leading scorers for Canada in the tournament right now, and was one of the hottest players in the league down the stretch.

(I think he is better off on the wing, with a good center...that is where he has found the most success...and that is where he would be if Murray snagged him in a trade.)

I've been wanting ROR for a while. I think it's gonna cost us Grigo, Zadorov, and our other 1st for openers. And I'd do it. 

GO SABRES!!!

Speaking as one of the people who has no interest in Ryan O'Reilly I can say that I know the guy is good I just don't think he is worth acquiring for the following reasons.

First off he's left handed and he plays center or left wing and we are full at those positions. We already have Kane and Moulson who make 5 million or more per year to play left wing in the top 6 and w have Foligno and Desauriers who play left wing on the bottom 6. We also have Ennis playing right wing who is a left handed shot who would probably be better served playing left wing. At Center we have Eichel, Reinhart, Girgensons, Grigorenko, Larsson, and McCormick of which Girgensons, Grigorenko, and Larsson are all left handed shots and can play left wing or center so unless we plan on putting our blue chip center prospects in Eichel and Reinhart at right wing for the long term instead of their natural center positions then I fail to see where O'Reilly fits in.

Secondly, he will be too expensive both in assets given up to acquire him and in cap space. His history shows he's looking to get paid and he already makes 6 million so it's safe to assume he'll demand more to be locked up long term. Paying 7 or 8 million per year for a guy we don't seem to have a spot is just a bad idea.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.