2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

His draft status is unchanged.  He can actually play in the AHL right after he's drafted, since he won't be subject to that stupid CHL rule.

I'd like to see more kids opt for Europe to speed along a change in that CHL rule.  It doesn't help the kids one bit.

I'd like to see more kids opt for Europe to speed along a change in that CHL rule.  It doesn't help the kids one bit.

IT absolutely kills the ones that are 'tweeners.  The rest, it might benefit.  But the NHL protection of the CHL is stupid.

Marc Crawford was on the Fan 590 yesterday (team that Matthews may sign with). He was saying that he doesn't expect the European avenue to be used very often. Teams only get 4 import players and they need them to be able to play in the top 6 or top 2 D pair. It is rare that a player be ready to at 16/17 to play vs men and command that type of ice time.

So it may happen again but it will be only be with guys who are in the Eichel / McDavid class.

On the CHL agreement: there's a lot of angles you could look at it. The NHL would claim to be protecting the CHL and it's a fair argument. But the NHL likely does it to protect themselves... Kids that go through the CHL are far more likely to stick around North America to play in the NHL.

If more kids start going to Europe they may realize that there's good money and less pressure there. They may like the society and leagues over there more... They stay there for more than a few years and the NHL loses some potential stars. Not good for business.

I still think the answer to all of this is an exception. One per team... Maybe two.

On the CHL agreement: there's a lot of angles you could look at it. The NHL would claim to be protecting the CHL and it's a fair argument. But the NHL likely does it to protect themselves... Kids that go through the CHL are far more likely to stick around North America to play in the NHL.

If more kids start going to Europe they may realize that there's good money and less pressure there. They may like the society and leagues over there more... They stay there for more than a few years and the NHL loses some potential stars. Not good for business.

I still think the answer to all of this is an exception. One per team... Maybe two.

So do I, but I expect that the only way the CHL agrees to allow 30 of its stars to leave the league at 18 is if they are strong armed into it.

Edited by weave

So do I, but I expect that the only way the CHL agrees to allow 30 of its stars to leave the league at 18 is if they are strong armed into it.

The exception I had in mind would only apply to players a year away from eligibility. I think one exception per team is fine, and maybe a team can only use it every other year or every three years... Something like that.

I do support the purpose of the agreement in several ways... Protecting the CHL and the NHL.

Also, I can see why somebody might not understand why I think the rule keeps players from going to Europe: it keeps high-end/matured talent in the CHL which makes it more appealing for kids that want to play against bigger/better competition.

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere, maybe Friedman's 30 thoughts, that the league has discussed the possibility of raising the draft age. If that were to happen I imagine the offset would be removing or altering the CHL agreement.

I'm much more selfish about it.  I don't care about CHL owners protecting their cash cows (and as far as I am concerned that is all this agreement is).  if a kid is ready for the AHL he should be allowed to go.  What are we talking?  12-15 18yr olds a season?

I'm much more selfish about it.  I don't care about CHL owners protecting their cash cows (and as far as I am concerned that is all this agreement is).  if a kid is ready for the AHL he should be allowed to go.  What are we talking?  12-15 18yr olds a season?

I would guess more like 4-8 maybe.  I mean in Reinhart's draft year you had Sam, Leon, and Sam who should have been in the AHL.  Ekblad was NHL ready and Dal Colle needed to go back to juniors.

I am in favor of NHL teams being allowed to sen 1 underage player to the AHL every other year. 

TOP PICKS FOR 2016 and current Teams

Auston Matthews Undecided  (Everett CHL rights)

Jesse Puljujärvi Karpat (Finland)  

Jacob Chychrun Sarnia (OHL)  

Logan Brown Windsor (OHL)  

Matthew Tkachuk London (OHL)  

Sean Day Mississauga (OHL)   

Max Jones Undecided - CHL rights London

I think these kids will all be great players, and I would be ecstatic to (possibly) end up with one of them, *IF* the Sabres are a lottery team again.

I think these kids will all be great players, and I would be ecstatic to (possibly) end up with one of them, *IF* the Sabres are a lottery team again.

I think that a person would have to be delusional to think anything other than them being a lottery team.  They would barely be a non lottery team if you added both of the last two seasons together.

Going from low 50's to 75 to 80 points is a great leap forward for this team.

I think that a person would have to be delusional to think anything other than them being a lottery team.  They would barely be a non lottery team if you added both of the last two seasons together.

Call me delusional.

So it's now official.

Our 1st round pick from the Islanders will be Pick # 21.

Who do we take with that pick?  What are the odds that player is a keeper?

And do we use that pick to take a player in the draft at all!?

I see Tim Murray hustling and shuffling on draft day like a maniac (not counting taking Eichel 2nd overall).

Will we use Pick 21 as currency in a larger deal?

So it's now official.

Our 1st round pick from the Islanders will be Pick # 21.

Who do we take with that pick?  What are the odds that player is a keeper?

And do we use that pick to take a player in the draft at all!?

I see Tim Murray hustling and shuffling on draft day like a maniac (not counting taking Eichel 2nd overall).

Will we use Pick 21 as currency in a larger deal?

Wrong thread... http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/22566-official-2015-nhl-draft-thread/?p=692229

no worries, you're fine

While I've got you here, is it very hard to post a youtube video in a post?  I tried pulling what you do and copied over the link but it just shows the link rather than the imbedded vid.  What am I missing? 

While I've got you here, is it very hard to post a youtube video in a post?  I tried pulling what you do and copied over the link but it just shows the link rather than the imbedded vid.  What am I missing? 

when you are in youtube, use the url at the top (in the actual search bar in chrome) don't use any of the share or embed options

Well, I guess I am delusional...or I just expect those to be the first 7 players off the board, and we won't be drafting in the top-7.

Well, I guess I am delusional...or I just expect those to be the first 7 players off the board, and we won't be drafting in the top-7.

Sorry, was meaning delusional if they believe Sabres will be a Play-off team not out of the top 7. Though I wouldn't discount their ability (or non-ability) to still finish in bottom 7.  

Adding 30 points to last years club would still give them the 7th pick overall (depending on lottery results).

Edited by Crusader1969

Sorry, was meaning delusional if they believe Sabres will be a Play-off team not out of the top 7. Though I wouldn't discount their ability (or non-ability) to still finish in bottom 7.

Adding 30 points to last years club would still give them the 7th pick overall (depending on lottery results).

With all of the new pieces on this team including potentially 4 new top 6 forwards, one new top 4 d plus the potential of another good one, a new starting goalie and a new coach I don't know how much you can really consider last years point total. Literally half of the team may be turned over going into next year.

I'm not guaranteeing playoffs by any stretch but I really don't think it's delusional. Who knows, I may be quoted on this a year from now and look like it lol.

Edited by Derrico

With all of the new pieces on this team including potentially 4 new top 6 forwards, one new top 4 d plus the potential of another good one, a new starting goalie and a new coach I don't know how much you can really consider last years point total. Literally half of the team may be turned over going into next year.

I'm not guaranteeing playoffs by any stretch but I really don't think it's delusional. Who knows, I may be quoted on this a year from now and look like it lol.

whats one step lower than delusional? one step above would be a Leaf fan. I'll give you whatever 1 step lower is but no more. 

what would the lineup look like for this team to make the playoffs? 

whats one step lower than delusional? one step above would be a Leaf fan. I'll give you whatever 1 step lower is but no more. 

what would the lineup look like for this team to make the playoffs?

I understand. I'm not saying they are a playoff team, but I don't think they will be picking in the top-7.

It's also (obviously) probably not going to be those 7 players at the top-7 spots...it could, but that's unlikely. (I'd gladly take any of the 7.)

As for a playoff team lineup? I think this team could challenge for a wild card spot...but understand it's unlikely the roster looks like this.

Kane - Eichel - Ennis

O'Reilly - Reinhart - Toffoli

Moulson - Girgensons - Gionta

Deslauriers - Larsson - Foligno

Sekera - Bogosian

Zadorov - Ristolainen

Gorges - Pysyk/McCabe

Niemi - Lehner

Maybe not a playoff team this year...but there is zero doubt in my mind that's a playoff team in 2016-17.

- I trade Grigorenko, Hodgson (retain salary), Pysyk or McCabe, 2015 1st round pick (#21), 2015 2nd round pick (Islanders)...for O'Reilly.

- I sign Toffoli to an offer sheet LA cannot match, and send them a 2016 1st round pick and a 2016 3rd round pick.

- I trade a low-end prospect or mid-round draft pick for Lehner.

- I sign Sekera and Niemi as unrestricted free agents.

I do not care about draft picks after this year, for the next year or two...until they are needed again to stock the cupboards as the kids move up.

PS. If Colorado insists on Zadorov, I hate it...but I think I still make that trade (minus the 2nd rounder), and I roll with...

Sekera - Bogosian

McCabe - Ristolainen

Gorges - Pysyk

(EDIT: Don't want to pay the draft picks for Toffoli? Pry Oshie away from the Blues or Sharp away from the Hawks, for cheaper.)

*And...3, 2, 1...rip me apart! Lol.*

Edited by Bob Malooga

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.