2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Matthews is one of 3 players who could potentially go first overall in the 2016 draft to be held in Buffalo

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=38406

Puljujarvi really turned heads in the WJC this past January.

Of course luck will have to be on the Sabres side as the draft lottery is changing formats.

Like I have said previously, I really like that draft class too...I think Jakob Cychrun will be a stud.

(Pretty sure I posted that article in another thread, just not sure where it was.)

• 1 month later...

the latest is that the Matthews decision will come later this week. Definitely playing in Swiss is an option for him. Will be interesting to see how that plays out. Way less exposure than in CHL or NCAA and won`t be putting up crazy numbers like he would playing against peers vs men.

the latest is that the Matthews decision will come later this week. Definitely playing in Swiss is an option for him. Will be interesting to see how that plays out. Way less exposure than in CHL or NCAA and won`t be putting up crazy numbers like he would playing against peers vs men.

It would be a nice story if Matthews played for Arizona State. It's the first year in D1, and he's a local kid, and he would give them instant recognition and legitimacy. But they don't appear to be on his list, and it might be too far off the hockey charts for his liking. Not that playing in Switzerland would be higher profile.

I think no matter what the kid does, he's going #1 anyway.

It would be a nice story if Matthews played for Arizona State. It's the first year in D1, and he's a local kid, and he would give them instant recognition and legitimacy. But they don't appear to be on his list, and it might be too far off the hockey charts for his liking. Not that playing in Switzerland would be higher profile.

I think no matter what the kid does, he's going #1 anyway.

Who cares about how "high profile" his next league is? Big difference between Switzerland and NCAA...$$$$$.  Also, does it really matter where in the world he is playing? Didn't the Sabres have a former employee tell us that VIDEO scouting is the way of the future? :lol:

TOP PICKS FOR 2016 and current Teams

Auston Matthews Undecided  (Everett CHL rights)

Jesse Puljujärvi Karpat (Finland)  

Jacob Chychrun Sarnia (OHL)  

Logan Brown Windsor (OHL)  

Matthew Tkachuk London (OHL)  

Sean Day Mississauga (OHL)  

Tyson Jost  Undecided - CHL rights Everett

Michael McLeod Mississauga (OHL)  

Max Jones Undecided - CHL rights London

Patrik Laine Tappara - Finland  

Tyler Benson Vancouver - WHL  

Sam Steel  Regina - WHL  

Dante Fabbro Undecided - CHL rights Seattle

Jake Bean Calgary - WHL  

Kale Clague Brandon - WHL  

Edited by Crusader1969

Don't laugh at me. If Matthews signs overseas and plays professionally, is his draft status unchanged? Secondly, assuming it is, would an eventual move to the NHL be subject to an inter-league agreement? KHL-ish?

Edited by Neo

Don't laugh at me. If Matthews signs overseas and plays professionally, is his draft status unchanged? Secondly, assuming it is, would an eventual move to the NHL be subject to an inter-league agreement? KHL-ish?

His draft status is unchanged.  He can actually play in the AHL right after he's drafted, since he won't be subject to that stupid CHL rule.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.