Kane          Girgensons      Ennis

Moulson     Grigerenko      Free Agent

Foligno       Reinhart          Gionta

Deslaurier  Larsson           McCormack

Risto      Bogosian

Hanifin   Pysyk (depending on health)

Weber    Free Agent

*Zadorov to the Amerks for the year.

This team is definitely not making the play-offs next season but is still much improved from the 2014-15 team. 

Edited by Crusader1969

Kane - Mcdavid - Reinhart

Moulson - Girgensons - ennis

Foligno - Grigorenko - Larsson

Deslauriers - Shaller - Gionta

Kaleta

Risto - Erhoff

Bogosian - Gorges

Pysyk - McCabe

weber

Zadorov will start in rochester.

Niemi

Makarov

close but not yet! Its Not OVER Till its OVER!

plus i dont see Reinhart on RW - he is a Center through and through. Girgensons is more likely to move to wing in my opinion.

I know this may not be a popular opinion, but I would think, if Reinhart still is a bit undersized and not dominant in camp....that he spend some time in Rochester. You can go with Larson centering a line (at least for a half to a full season) on your top 3 lines.

Besides that, I wouldn't be looking at any big free agent signings or big trades this offseason. With a maturing D (adding a one year older Psysk to it), Evander Kane, a top pick this year, a much better Larson than last year, maybe Reinhart.....I'm going to be perfectly happy seeing where this team goes with just that.  I really don't need, or don't WANT any other big ticket players (yet).

Edited by mjd1001

I know this may not be a popular opinion, but I would think, if Reinhart still is a bit undersized and not dominant in camp....that he spend some time in Rochester. You can go with Larson centering a line (at least for a half to a full season) on your top 3 lines.

Besides that, I wouldn't be looking at any big free agent signings or big trades this offseason. With a maturing D (adding a one year older Psysk to it), Evander Kane, a top pick this year, a much better Larson than last year, maybe Reinhart.....I'm going to be perfectly happy seeing where this team goes with just that.  I really don't need, or don't WANT any other big ticket players (yet).

Beat me to it.  I'm OK with starting Reinhart in the AHL if we think that'll help him develop.  (My main concern with that is that I think there are more goons in the minors; both Girgensons and Ristolainen were concussed via cheap shots in their first pro seasons in Rochester.)

And I'd be happy to have Larsson and Girgensons as my top 2 centers to start next season.  They've both looked very capable this season.  Reinhart is a rookie and anyone we draft (not ready to pencil in our dream scenario yet) would also be a rookie.  Let's ease these guys in and put them in a position to succeed.

Another benefit is that if we play Larsson as a no.1 center next season with Kane and Ennis, maybe his PPG stays really high and he becomes a great asset to trade if we want to go that route.  Same goes for Grigorenko if we get him playing time next season.

I still think that Reinhart is the type of guy who the more you put on his shoulders the faster he matures and the better he will be.  He is currently willing Kootenay Ice to a game 7.  He is just so ungodly smart when it comes to hockey that he keeps adapting.  That is the word, Reinhart is adaptable and to adapt he must face adversity.  

I agree with you. For some reason I was never as big of a fan of O'Rielly as others are on here. Is he a very good player? Yes...but to me you don't trade for him and give up a lot of assets AND give him an very high salary unless he is the KIND of player you are missing.  

Don't trade for him just because you think he is good..make sure he fills a hole you have.  I'd rather wait and see who develops or see if a more 'top flight' scorer is available....rather than trade for him.

He plays both sides of the puck well, he can play any of the three positions, is above adequate on the draw and clearly has 70 point ability.  I'm not saying, wow but he's what this team needs now and in the future.  He's 23 going on 24.  He would be a huge upgrade to the roster and help rebound this team quicker.   I find him eerily similar to Stastny and he got 7.5M on the open market and was 27.  I think they're right in the same wheelhouse.  Call me out if I'm wrong. 

People who aren't interested in O'Reilly need to take a second look.

Take all the nice things we've been saying about Larsson and put it in a legit 1st line package.

Having him, Kane, Reinhart and Girgs as the forward core surrounding McEichel is drool-worthy.

Price ($$$ and trade) are reasonable questions. Ability and fitting into the roster are not.

People who aren't interested in O'Reilly need to take a second look.

Take all the nice things we've been saying about Larsson and put it in a legit 1st line package.

Having him, Kane, Reinhart and Girgs as the forward core surrounding McEichel is drool-worthy.

Price ($$$ and trade) are reasonable questions. Ability and fitting into the roster are not.

O'Reilly is the perfect addition to this roster for next season and beyond. Just piecing together the lines makes me giddy.

Kane-McEichel-Ennis

Moulson-O'Reilly-Reinhart/Hodgson

Larsson-Girgensons-Gionta

Foligno-McCormick-Deslauriers

Add a top-4 LHD and a goaltender, toss a good coach into the mix, and that could be a hell of a lot of fun to watch...and win some games, too.

Here is the prospects ranking recently updated 

http://www.sabresprospects.com/2015/04/buffalo-sabres-spring-2015-prospect.html

...and Grigorenko is still the #2 prospect overall, ahead of Larsson at #8.  So what does that say?  Is Grigo going to be a contributor next year?  Is Larsson playing above his station but will drop down next year?

...and Grigorenko is still the #2 prospect overall, ahead of Larsson at #8.  So what does that say?  Is Grigo going to be a contributor next year?  Is Larsson playing above his station but will drop down next year?

The way the rankings are done takes into account not only current play, but potential--I don't think anyone can argue against Grigorenko having more potential than Larsson. And yes, Larsson is playing well above his station--on a good team he wouldn't currently be in the top-6. If I look for a current NHLer who I'd compare where I see Larsson fitting long term, I'd look at Kruger in Chicago, perhaps with a bit more offensive potential. Stud possession player, can play tough matchups, penalty kill, and chip in some points. Kruger's presence helps free up Toews for some more offensive opportunities.

I had been wanting to look at the difference between the 03-04 Penguins and the 05-06 Penguins for a while because people kept mentioning the fact that they had 58 points in the season before Crosby was there and his rookie year. I was expecting to see that they didn't make a whole lot of changes (I don't remember it that well) but they actually went through almost a complete overhaul. 8 of their top 9 scorers in 05-06 were new to the team.

The obvious downside between the two seasons is that Ziggy Palffy suddenly retired halfway through after putting up 42 points in 42 games, Lemieux retired after 26 games, their leading scorer from the year before (Dick Tarnstrom) was traded after 33 games and they road Fleury who was having a terrible season.]

We'll probably be in a similar situation (new goalie and a lot of change) but we shouldn't face as many storylines like sudden retirements. They seem to be the exception vs the rule of transforming a franchise led by a new superstar.

Goalies are such random chance to me.  I don't know if I'd invest much in any of them....take the approach the Sabres have now...get a bunch of them and see who is good.

From the 5th best goalie in the league to the 25th, there really isn't much of a difference it seems.  If you have a good team in front of you, in many cases you can really throw anyone with some talent back there and get similar results.  In recent history, you have goalies who couldn't even stick as a backup in one place, then they find the right situation and they are a good starter.  

I really think overall talent in todays NHL isn't a big thing for goalies.  You need someone with talent...yes..but there are a lot of goalies with talent. What is just as (if not more) important is the team/system in front of the goalie and the mental/emotional mindset of the guy...NOT if he is .001% better in talent than someone else.

The way the rankings are done takes into account not only current play, but potential--I don't think anyone can argue against Grigorenko having more potential than Larsson. And yes, Larsson is playing well above his station--on a good team he wouldn't currently be in the top-6. If I look for a current NHLer who I'd compare where I see Larsson fitting long term, I'd look at Kruger in Chicago, perhaps with a bit more offensive potential. Stud possession player, can play tough matchups, penalty kill, and chip in some points. Kruger's presence helps free up Toews for some more offensive opportunities.

To win in the playoffs we will need players not on the top line that can score and Larsson just looks so perfect for that role. Not a liability defensively and scores, nice piece to the puzzle

Grigorentko is a complete wild card. Any predictions about him are questionable. He might have more upside than Larsson--his shot alone is world class--but he also might just slip away from us because we don't have room. Right now I'd be keeping Larsson over him if it can down to one over the other. Long term might show that to be a bad idea, but who knows. They can't send Grigorenko to Rochester next year...

Nic Deslauriers needs to be part of the team moving forward.  Need his grit and presence.  He hits and plays EVERY game.  Opposite of injury prone and is still young. Can play D in a pinch.  Not sure he gets the respect he deserves.  I think he should be the Sabres unsung hero for this year.

Nic Deslauriers needs to be part of the team moving forward.  Need his grit and presence.  He hits and plays EVERY game.  Opposite of injury prone and is still young. Can play D in a pinch.  Not sure he gets the respect he deserves.  I think he should be the Sabres unsung hero for this year.

Which direction would you go if it came down to Deslaurlers or Grigorenko? Who plays for your team?

I had been wanting to look at the difference between the 03-04 Penguins and the 05-06 Penguins for a while because people kept mentioning the fact that they had 58 points in the season before Crosby was there and his rookie year. I was expecting to see that they didn't make a whole lot of changes (I don't remember it that well) but they actually went through almost a complete overhaul. 8 of their top 9 scorers in 05-06 were new to the team.

The obvious downside between the two seasons is that Ziggy Palffy suddenly retired halfway through after putting up 42 points in 42 games, Lemieux retired after 26 games, their leading scorer from the year before (Dick Tarnstrom) was traded after 33 games and they road Fleury who was having a terrible season.]

We'll probably be in a similar situation (new goalie and a lot of change) but we shouldn't face as many storylines like sudden retirements. They seem to be the exception vs the rule of transforming a franchise led by a new superstar.

Good write up, I've been wondering about the accuracy of the Penguins comparison

Kane - Girgensons - Ennis

Moulson - O'Reilly - Eichel

Foligno - Reinhart - Gionta

Deslauriers - Larsson - McCormick

Schaller, Varone

Wiercioch - Bogosian

Gorges - Ristolainen

Zadorov - Weber

Ruhwedel

Niemmi

Jones

- Trade Grigorenko, Pysyk, and NYI/STL 2015 1st for O'Reilly

- Trade pick(s) for Wiercioch

- Trade Chad Johnson, and pick(s) for Jones

- Sign Niemmi

Maybe not opening day but by midseason I see (I know I've posted my thoughts multiple times):

Kane-McEichel-???

Moulson-Reinhart-Ennis

Foligno-Girgensons-Gionta

Deslauriers-Larsson-???

???-Ristolainen

Gorges-Bogosian

Zadorov-Pysyk

Weber

???

???

The '???'s are trades or free agents.

My list of hopeful replacements in order:

Top-six winger:

Ryan O'Reilly (COL) - trade

Carl Hagelin (NYR) - RFA/trade

Tyler Toffoli (LA) - RFA/trade

Mikkel Boedker (ARI) - RFA/trade

Justin Williams (LA) - UFA

Jaromir Jagr (FLA) - UFA

Joel Ward (WAS) - UFA

Fourth-line winger:

Jay Beagle (WAS) - UFA

Jordin Tootoo (NJD) - UFA

Lee Stempniak (WPG) - UFA

Top-six dman:

Niklas Hjalmarsson (CHI) - trade

Francois Beauchemin (ANA) - UFA

Mike Green (WAS) - UFA

Goalies:

Anti Niemi (SJS) - UFA

Matt O'Connor (Boston U.) - UFA

Cam Talbot (NYR) - trade

Eddie Lack (VAN) - trade

James Reimer (TOR) - trade

There will be more change than this, but I could live with this lineup as a start to our future. I have this feeling that Foligno is going to be involved in a trade this offseason. Obviously these aren't the only options for those positions... Just some names I pulled together that interest me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.