Professional Womens Hockey (Coming to Buffalo)

That Aud Smell

Nice.  The pipeline of talented young Canadian and American (and other!) women hockey players has been opening up pretty wide over the past dozen years, and it's high time for a real pro opportunity for post-grads and post-juniors.

Puck Daddy writeup.

Ruggiero's involved, that's a good thing.

At the very least, it's going to be an entertaining league that has cheap tickets and cheap beer.  At best, it'll grow to be a legit pro league that showcases the sport and inspires young players.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I'll pay just to support it. I don't even need to see the games. How much do I have to donate to give women a place to play?

This is good. Plus there is a good talent pool around here to draw from. RIT, Mercyhurst, Robert Morris, etc.

Women's hockey could do well here.

A little hint of the old Bisons logo in that Beauts logo, no?

It's got potential.  I appreciate the sword-iness. I also appreciate the homage of each team's logo to the men's pro league logo of that city.  It's a nice move in the direction of equality and synergy.  The Beauts could rock the Sabres' 40th anniversary jersey and look pretty damn good doing it.

The one thing I wonder about is the draft of Juniors. It works in the CHL/NHL since there's enough money to make it worthwhile for the players, but I'd be hard-pressed to move to another city for what (in their own words) is a part-time job. What if you have a job offer in Boston for your field but Buffalo drafts you? Does the team get compensated somehow if you won't play?

It's got potential. I appreciate the sword-iness. I also appreciate the homage of each team's logo to the men's pro league logo of that city. It's a nice move in the direction of equality and synergy. The Beauts could rock the Sabres' 40th anniversary jersey and look pretty damn good doing it.

This would be a great opportunity for some more "One Buffalo" marketing.

UO0IFcL.gif

The one thing I wonder about is the draft of Juniors. It works in the CHL/NHL since there's enough money to make it worthwhile for the players, but I'd be hard-pressed to move to another city for what (in their own words) is a part-time job. What if you have a job offer in Boston for your field but Buffalo drafts you? Does the team get compensated somehow if you won't play?

I imagine players that declare their eligibility want to play in that league, and they'll know that comes at a the risk that they play in a town not of their choosing.  Life event logistical bonus: the draft occurs one year before their senior year is over, so they have a year to plan their move.

It's probably not that different from drafting Russian players and asking them in pre-draft interviews about staying in the K.

This would be a great opportunity for some more "One Buffalo" marketing.

UO0IFcL.gif

Aye.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I imagine players that declare their eligibility want to play in that league, and they'll know that comes at a the risk that they play in a town not of their choosing.  Life event logistical bonus: the draft occurs one year before their senior year is over, so they have a year to plan their move.

It's probably not that different from drafting Russian players and asking them in pre-draft interviews about staying in the K.

I was thinking there'd have to be contracts and whatnot signed pre-draft, but man would it suck to give up a great job for nothing because you had to go play. As a side note there, I wonder how they'll deal with walk-ons. As a player, I might not declare for the draft, finish up college, and then try to walk-on to a team based on where I have a job or even plan it out that way (I want to play in Buffalo, so I'll walk-on when I get a job there).

Actually, why doesn't that work for the CHL/NHL? Is declaring yourself eligible for the NHL draft part of the CHL contract for players?

Actually, why doesn't that work for the CHL/NHL? Is declaring yourself eligible for the NHL draft part of the CHL contract for players?

It's part of the NHL CBA (not the CHL).  NHL CBA mandates that player wishing to enter the NHL, that meet inclusive requirements, must declare eligibility for a draft.  If they pass through a draft undrafted, or do not meet draft eligibility requirements, they're effectively UFAs.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Entry_Draft#Eligible_players

It's part of the NHL CBA (not the CHL).  NHL CBA mandates that player wishing to enter the NHL, that meet inclusive requirements, must declare eligibility for a draft.  If they pass through a draft undrafted, or do not meet draft eligibility requirements, they're effectively UFAs.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Entry_Draft#Eligible_players

Ah, that makes way more sense.

I'm not sure why any girl would want to play on a team called "The Whale".

It's a nice idea and all, and if I was in Buffalo and bored I might attend a game, but I can't predict super exciting hockey. Don't get me wrong - I love the idea of girls playing, and even a few play in the lower levels of the beer leagues down here, and I've played with a few - and one could hold her own pretty well. 

But it's not going to be more entertaining than a Canisius College Men's Game. I'm not sure where they'll get the money to pay the players.

Why? Because of a grrl thang?

A grrl I know does not love the name either. But as an Islanders fan she hates the Riveters' colors, initials and logo — all borrowed heavily from the Rangers — so she might by default have to be a Beaut fan.

The Beaut logo is a subtle, more abstract buffalo than we're used to seeing. I kind of like it.

Why does the Pride logo feature Hershey skid marks?

A grrl I know does not love the name either. But as an Islanders fan she hates the Riveters' colors, initials and logo — all borrowed heavily from the Rangers — so she might by default have to be a Beaut fan.

The Beaut logo is a subtle, more abstract buffalo than we're used to seeing. I kind of like it.

Why does the Pride logo feature Hershey skid marks?

I assume they're going to tie a lion in there with the black-gold color scheme. Those are scratches.

Edited by Met'yuPirog

FWIW, I'm given to understand that "beaut" is a term that is used without regard to gender in the hockey world.

"You see that sick saucer pass that Gordo sent me? Guy's a real beaut."

Unfortunately, 99% of casual fans won't know that and will think it a misogynistic term, on par with the "Peaches" and "Belles" in the All American Girls Professional Baseball League.

Unfortunately, 99% of casual fans won't know that and will think it a misogynistic term, on par with the "Peaches" and "Belles" in the All American Girls Professional Baseball League.

Agreed that this is an issue.

But if handled correctly, it could come off the right way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.