"Blue-collar, hard-working Buffalo" — should GMTM make the Sabres reflect the city?

PASabreFan

Right sentiment, wrong terminology.

Absolutely. He wanted something along the lines of "we're gonna build a team of bad-a_ss motherf*#%ers who love to ball, live to hit, and bring the fu*#ing pain on every down."

Bully doesn't capture that. Partly because just about all bullies are cowards.

Absolutely. He wanted something along the lines of "we're gonna build a team of bad-a_ss motherf*#%ers who love to get after the ball, live to hit, and bring the fu*#ing pain on every down."

I think this is your intentions?

Not that crying is bad, but...

Edited by Woods-Racer

Absolutely. He wanted something along the lines of "we're gonna build a team of bad-a_ss motherf*#%ers who love to ball, live to hit, and bring the fu*#ing pain on every down."

I think this is your intentions?

Not that crying is bad, but...

Thanks for the effort, but - no. I was using ball as a verb there. In the sense of the modern vernacular. 

Sorry, missed the class on RAP artist modern vernacular, it was only offered during the day, when I was working.

You don't have to know your Biggie from your Tupaq to recognize that usage, but, whatever. I think I get the drift of your rejoinder.

FWIW, Pysyk knows what's up.

Pretty scary day yesterday. Thank you everyone for the love and support. Feeling a lot better today! #ballsohard

Retweet
Favorite
More
8:35 AM - 1 Mar 2015

https://twitter.com/mpysyk03/status/572042401952477184

Hard working is appreciated no matter the color of your collar.  So is scoring, assisting, and winning.  I don't mean to belittle anyone, or make light of this discussion, but there isn't a single player in the NHL who, socio-economically could be labeled as blue-collar.  If GMTM is thinking that he wants to work these guys balls off, and pay them with peanuts, then I find that somewhat interesting.

I want skilled players that work hard. Is that too much to ask ?

As for the comment about hodgson being the hardest worker on the team. Watching him in game action I just don't see it. I've never seen a game where he was the hardest worker. Maybe he makes it look effortless ? If so he's damn good at it.lol.  Perhaps off the ice. If true thats nice to hear and I commend him but now I'd like to see him translate that to the game. Consistently.

I'm guessing anyone over my age (43) who isn't a basketball junkie, has no idea.

I fit that criteria, and I've known about the idea of a "baller" and a guy who "balls" for some time. 

Even if you ain't into tha rap game (yo), it's a phrase that gets used commonly enough by the athletes themselves.

There are few things I hate more then the blue collar, hard working rhetoric. First, Buffalo is hardly a blue collar town anymore. Second, as someone already said, its a euphemism for over achievers. Third, most people don't understand how much effort is on display when they are watching a sporting event. As I said in another thread, Cody Hodgson is said to be one of the hardest working Sabre's ever, yet few on this board would ever call him a blue collar, hard working type of hockey player

What...you don't bring your lunch pail to work?

Edited by nucci

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.