"Blue-collar, hard-working Buffalo" — should GMTM make the Sabres reflect the city?

PASabreFan

Let's assume Buffalo really is blue-collar and hard-working. It's a subjective and IMHO trite description, but leaving that debate aside the question is whether any of that should really matter when building a hockey team.

GMTM has touched on giving Buffalo a team that reflects its character.  The owner has said he likes gritty and hard-working players. Nolan has often talked about it. Yesterday, he again referenced the work ethic of the city when he was asked about the idea that fans would boo their team and cheer for the opposition down the stretch. 

Sabres coach Ted Nolan expects the city’s blue-collar fans will appreciate his team’s effort.

“I don’t think you have to say anything to this city,” Nolan said Tuesday. “This city knows what it’s like to work. It’s a city full of workers. I don’t know anybody in this town who would go to work and not give their best, and that’s what we’re trying to do as a hockey team. So I’m quite sure the fans will get behind that.”

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/ted-nolan-expects-crowd-to-be-respectful-thursday/

Over the years, I think this whole notion has sometimes been a way of marketing the team, giving the fans what they supposedly want. Think late 80s and mid 90s.

How much of this should actually enter GMTM's thinking when building his team? Me, I hope the occasional comments are just some PR crumbs thrown to the population. Or, if the team ends up reflecting this mythical image of the city, that it's only because that's what makes the most hockey sense to give us what we all really want. I don't want Murray thinking about it at all.

You nailed it at the end.  Not at all.   And I've seen no indication that Murray thinks that way.

On the flip side, Murray sees how important it is to have size and grit (that can skate) on the roster.  Acquiring Kane, Bogosian, Deslauriers, Fasching, and including Foligno in lists of the "new core."  The "blue-collar" side of Buffalo will certainly appreciate that, considering how passionless and puny that last Darcy core was.

Edited by qwksndmonster

I'd look at it this way.

Look at the championship teams over the past 5-10 years and ask yourselves if they were moved to Buffalo.. would they fit the blue collar, hard working bill?

I think so.. and therein lies the answer.

Let's assume Buffalo really is blue-collar and hard-working. It's a subjective and IMHO trite description, but leaving that debate aside the question is whether any of that should really matter when building a hockey team.

GMTM has touched on giving Buffalo a team that reflects its character.  The owner has said he likes gritty and hard-working players. Nolan has often talked about it. Yesterday, he again referenced the work ethic of the city when he was asked about the idea that fans would boo their team and cheer for the opposition down the stretch. 

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/ted-nolan-expects-crowd-to-be-respectful-thursday/

Over the years, I think this whole notion has sometimes been a way of marketing the team, giving the fans what they supposedly want. Think late 80s and mid 90s.

How much of this should actually enter GMTM's thinking when building his team? Me, I hope the occasional comments are just some PR crumbs thrown to the population. Or, if the team ends up reflecting this mythical image of the city, that it's only because that's what makes the most hockey sense to give us what we all really want. I don't want Murray thinking about it at all.

I don't want it at all, to me "blue collar" team  means a bunch of over achievers in sports. I don't want a team that is not skilled but works hard every shift.  I want skill mixed with size and grit. I want a team that can score any way they need to win a game, not just throw pucks at the net and hope for the best. I want highlight film goals, not Devils trap games because it gives us the best chance to win.

I couldn't give two flying how the team is built if they are perennial contenders. Give me a team that wins and i'm happy. I don't care if they a filled with a whole team of uber talented Gerbe sized players.

That being said, I think the most consistent team is one that is based on size and physicality. High scoring run-and-gun teams are way too dependant on shooting percentage and save percentage, which can be highly volatile in the short-term.

I couldn't give two flying ###### how the team is built if they are perennial contenders. Give me a team that wins and i'm happy. I don't care if they a filled with a whole team of uber talented Gerbe sized players.

That being said, I think the most consistent team is one that is based on size and physicality. High scoring run-and-gun teams are way too dependant on shooting percentage and save percentage, which can be highly volatile in the short-term.

High scoring run-and-gun teams can be gritty and big as well.  In my minds eye, the eventual cup winning Sabres roster is something like the Ducks current roster.

High scoring run-and-gun teams can be gritty and big as well.  In my minds eye, the eventual cup winning Sabres roster is something like the Ducks current roster.

No doubt, but I will note that the 6'4" 230lb player will almost always knock over the smaller player. Having more of these size players mitigates some of the volatility in shooting percentage and puck luck events. I'm looking to identify the most statistically repeatable events for sucess.

No doubt, but I will note that the 6'4" 230lb player will almost always knock over the smaller player. Having more of these size players mitigates some of the volatility in shooting percentage and puck luck events. I'm looking to identify the most statistically repeatable events for sucess.

And the Tyler Ennis will almost always bounce off the 230lb player with the puck on his stick somehow.  If we do have small players, I'd prefer they play like St. Louis or Ennis, rather than like Roy or Hodgson.

And the Tyler Ennis will almost always bounce off the 230lb player with the puck on his stick somehow.  If we do have small players, I'd prefer they play like St. Louis or Ennis, rather than like Roy or Hodgson.

No doubt. I have no problem with having Tyler Ennis on this team, because he has demonstrated an ability to control the puck and make plays when given little to no space. This year with him being basically our only scoring option, the defense has keyed on him and given him no space to work with, and he has found success despite.

No doubt. I have no problem with having Tyler Ennis on this team, because he has demonstrated an ability to control the puck and make plays when given little to no space. This year with him being basically our only scoring option, the defense has keyed on him and given him no space to work with, and he has found success despite.

Why can't Tyler Ennis date my sister or something?  I wanna play pond hockey with him so bad.  Or at least a skate like this:

You nailed it at the end.  Not at all.   And I've seen no indication that Murray thinks that way.

On the flip side, Murray sees how important it is to have size and grit (that can skate) on the roster.  Acquiring Kane, Bogosian, Deslauriers, Fasching, and including Foligno in lists of the "new core."  The "blue-collar" side of Buffalo will certainly appreciate that, considering how passionless and puny that last Darcy core was.

I think we most of all appreciate GOOD players that are also hard working that end up getting us the result we want, aka wins.

I think you can get a good idea of what the Sabres will like in 2016 by taking a gander at the Sens. Since Neil has been out they roll 4 lines and dont let up. The only difference is the potential addition of a Toews or Crosby like player.

There are few things I hate more then the blue collar, hard working rhetoric. First, Buffalo is hardly a blue collar town anymore. Second, as someone already said, its a euphemism for over achievers. Third, most people don't understand how much effort is on display when they are watching a sporting event. As I said in another thread, Cody Hodgson is said to be one of the hardest working Sabre's ever, yet few on this board would ever call him a blue collar, hard working type of hockey player

There are few things I hate more then the blue collar, hard working rhetoric. First, Buffalo is hardly a blue collar town anymore. Second, as someone already said, its a euphemism for over achievers. Third, most people don't understand how much effort is on display when they are watching a sporting event. As I said in another thread, Cody Hodgson is said to be one of the hardest working Sabre's ever, yet few on this board would ever call him a blue collar, hard working type of hockey player

I never thought about it, but the line I bolded is very true.  If the Sabres are Building a Bully (yes I know it's Rex Ryan's line about the Bills but it's s similar concept with GMTM favors size with skill), they should simply be achieving, not over achieving.

Has for the CoHo line, that was alluded to in another thread, but is that about what he does in practice and off the ice, or during games?  Since it was attributed to Simonek I assumed it wasn't referring specifically to his game play, which IMO is nowhere close to being among the hardest work.

If the Sabres are Building a Bully (yes I know it's Rex Ryan's line about the Bills but it's s similar concept with GMTM favors size with skill)

Not his line anymore.

Ryan said #Bills "talked w a lot of people before we even met w Richie." Admitted "bullying" was wrong word to use to describe team.

10:09 AM - 24 Mar 2015
Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.