Sabres Rumblings

PTS

There have been a bunch of rumors out over the past few days or so. Two rumors which I see as actually valid ones are ...

1. Marty Biron to Kings for Aaron Miller and maybe a pick. This trade would work for the team in two ways. One, Miller is a hometown boy who would help fill a good portion of the void left behind after Zhitnik went to the Isles. Plus, it would end the three-headed goaltending problem. LA needs a goalie.

2. Brandon Witt (Washington): I haven't heard what Sabres would be involved in the deal but Darcy has been wanting to get Witt for a long time. Witt would be a terrific addition and it would be make feel much better after our breakup with Zhitnik. If Washington is in rebuilding mode, we have many great prospects to offer in return.

Also Rumored - But Can't Be Certain if Valid:

~Ken Klee (Toronto): Another guy Darcy always wanted. Can't see us trading with Toronto though.

~Deal With Flames: They have a stockpile of defensemen and Darcy is rumored to be looking.

If LA's looking to shed some salary (they're already into the mid $30's with Roenick and Demitra signings), than Miller for Biron doesn't make much sense -- I'd think Mika for Miller would be more interesting from a cap perspective for LA...unless we took an additional salary off their hands in addition to Miller...

Speaking of Mika, Atlanta had 3 Finnish goalies on their roster, and now that Nurminen's career is all but finished (or Finnished, as the case may be), I wonder if they'll want another one...Mika can do a solid job until Lehtonen's ready for action in a year or two...just not sure what blueliners they have that would be an upgrade for us (DeVries? Modry?)

But I'd take Witt over Miller or Klee any day (I'd take Witt over Miller AND Klee)..hopefully, Darcy can work SOMETHING out...

As I have stated previously, I was high on trading for Miller until I looked at his "games played" for the last few years. If he can stay healthy...GOOD trade. If he comes in and plays 40-50 games dues to injury at his salary level...BAD trade.

Witt on the other hand, would be a fantastic pickup. I know it would cost a lot in terms of what the Sabres would have to give up, but he's a guy who could anchor the blue line for the next 5-7 years. Oh by the way...we would provide some badly needed toughness in the defensive zone.

I agree that Witt would be a tremendous pick-up, although I'd be surprised if Washington, which has no depth and little experience anywhere, would not want to keep him to anchor its very young defense.

I hope Biron gets traded. Perhaps a team like LA, that hasn't seen much of him, will be less attuned to his deficiencies, as others might be.

Well, if the Caps wanna deal him, Brendan doesn't have much of a choice!

He does have the choice to sit in Buffalo and stick his bottom lip out though. If someone doesn't want to be somewhere there's no point in moving for them, waste of a roster spot, waste of money and a waste of ice time.

i think if we go after witt, that we give away much more than a biron.

Don't be so sure. The people running the Capitals are not the brightest of lights. They have literally given away all sorts of talent over the course of the last two years. Who is to say this won't continue? They tried very hard to trade Witt last season, as well as Olaf Kolzig. Yes, it was all a big salary dump, but they got very little for what they gave up.

Pray.

Archived