qwksndmonster

23 hours ago, shrader said:

If they threw one of the NHL games from the 90s out there and updated it with the current teams and rosters, I'd be all over that.  I'd have to make Sidney Crosby's head bleed.

I believe that is '94.

And yeah, the NHL games are baaaaad! I got last year's for 30 bucks and guess what! It's the same as NHL 11. I'm gonna pass on this series for a while, I think.

• 1 month later...

Approaching best time of the year.  Cooler temps, football in full swing, and Sabres hockey is back.  Gaming companies at times have big, late in the year  announcements.  Sony announced in the early hours a Playstation 1 Classic will be released on December 3rd.  It will have 20 games.  2 of them being FF7 and Wild Arms.  It'll cost a $99.99.  Well worth it in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, GoPre said:

Approaching best time of the year.  Cooler temps, football in full swing, and Sabres hockey is back.  Gaming companies at times have big, late in the year  announcements.  Sony announced in the early hours a Playstation 1 Classic will be released on December 3rd.  It will have 20 games.  2 of them being FF7 and Wild Arms.  It'll cost a $99.99.  Well worth it in my opinion. 

Hopefully they'll actually make enough of them...

Meh. They’ve been releasing a ton of classics from older consoles onto the PS4. Wish they’d just keep doing that.

I have the Jak and Dexter trilogy on both PS2 and PS4. It’s the best gaming series not named Zelda, in my opinion. And it was the first open-world game with no loading screens. Other classics like Ratchen and Clank and GTA exist because of Jak.

I still have a functioning PS2 and all of the original PS games that I liked.  So it won't be a purchase I'll be making.  I feel like they've reissued the so called "classic versions" of their biggest games on the newer systems, so most should already be available if you really want them.  Still, I'll be curious to see if Metal Gear Solid winds up on that machine.  The combo of that and FFVII would make for a ton of sales.

9 minutes ago, sabills said:

I should break out my PS2 actually, I played more games on that console than any other.

In other news, Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming out in like 40 days and I can't wait.

I actually did that with the PS2 earlier in the summer.  It was a nice change of pace.

And I'll be all over Red Dead Redemption too.  I pick up at most 2 new games a year and that one will be my first of 2018.

13 minutes ago, sabills said:

I should break out my PS2 actually, I played more games on that console than any other.

In other news, Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming out in like 40 days and I can't wait.

I don't know how anyone uses older consoles on modern flatscreen TVs. It just looks so much worse than it did back then. It's like the HD tvs are too crisp with their processing. The vagueness of older CRTs really made those old games look better/smoother. 

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

I don't know how anyone uses older consoles on modern flatscreen TVs. It just looks so much worse than it did back then. It's like the HD tvs are too crisp with their processing. The vagueness of older CRTs really made those old games look better/smoother. 

Haven't tried it yet, I'll report back, haha.

17 minutes ago, sabills said:

Haven't tried it yet, I'll report back, haha.

I remember trying to use my N64 on my tv and basically having an aneurysm. It looks soooo bad. That's why I like that a lot of games are being re-issued digitally or on these "classic" consoles, because I think they do some tweaking to make them look more natural on modern tvs. 

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

I remember trying to use my N64 on my tv and basically having an aneurysm. It looks soooo bad. That's why I like that a lot of games are being re-issued digitally or on these "classic" consoles, because I think they do some tweaking to make them look more natural on modern tvs. 

Exactly ?

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

The PS2 worked fine for me, granted I did play one of the later games from that system.  There's a big jump between the N64 and the PS2 though, so maybe that might be the line where it becomes unbearable.

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'll cave and buy it once I get to a random moment of boredom.  I want to play the game so badly, but I will put if off for a while because I don't really have the long stretches of free time that I know I'll be spending on a game like this.

As much as I've been playing it quite a bit, its the type of game you can probably jump in and out of easily because of the open world set up. And once you get through the initial story chapter, which takes probably 1-2 hours of gameplay, there's technically nowhere on the map that's "locked" so you can wander the whole thing and not feel like you're stuck on rails or whatever.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, sabills said:

As much as I've been playing it quite a bit, its the type of game you can probably jump in and out of easily because of the open world set up. And once you get through the initial story chapter, which takes probably 1-2 hours of gameplay, there's technically nowhere on the map that's "locked" so you can wander the whole thing and not feel like you're stuck on rails or whatever.

These always seem to be the types where I wind up playing until 3am.  Doing this one last thing in the next half an hour turns into "ok, I'll check out this place too", turns into "oh crap, I think the sun is coming up".

I've been watching playthroughs of RDR2. It's kind of infuriating- it's all SO open, that it's like watching a person just go about their daily life making stupid decisions you wouldn'tve. 

I couldn't play it. You face consequences for merely bumping into someone- none of that video game physics of riding your horse through an NPC. I'd try to play this golden moral life run without hurting/robbing anyone and fail the game - I'd spend all my time catching/breaking wild horses probably... 

But damn... it is SO beautiful. I'm so impressed. From the real world look to the physics to the consequences to the attention to detail in the general store catalogs- And I feel kinda guilty- I've read all the articles about the insane sh!t the Rockstar employees went through to make it. The insane crunch hours to basically redo the game to implement the cinematic mode. I never touched a AAA game, but even the crunch mode I experienced for bigger games was just soul crushing- I can't imagine it on that scale. At least the game will do well so those people will actually get paid better.