qwksndmonster

Atari 800xl REPRESENT! (although we had a 400 before that; I still have the 800xl (and maybe the 400) in my basement)

I burnt out on games in my early 20s, after turning my desire to play Doom multiplayer (and building a LAN to do it (kids: this was before you could buy switches at a reasonable cost)) into a career in IT. Also, I think beer had something to do with it.

lol Atari was the best.  I played a bunch when I was a kid, but either lost interest or stopped having free time as I got older.  I loved the original Super Mario Bros (NES) and really liked StarFox (NES / SNES), but I've always been more partial to games that didn't have a storyline because they never got old.  So for that reason, my favorites are (in order by chronology and not preference):

1) Pong

2) Mortal Kombat

3) Mario Kart (all versions)

4) Gran Turismo

5) Wii Bowling and Tennis

6) Shaun White Snowboarding (Wii)

Edited by biodork

It's all about the old school:

Legend of zelda (gold version)

Super smash bros

Mario 64

Sonic series

Techmo Bowl

Pitfall

Star tropics

And the original 3 Mario Bros games

I have a 360 and I play some sports games, but I'll take a classic any day of the week.

I also have the arcade version DDR pads which is a drunken fun time

I'm ashamed for not mentioning

Street Fighter 2

The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Mortal Kombat

Metroid

Doom(PC)

Oregon Trail(PC)

Star Fox

Marble Madness

And of course...

...Duck Hunt

The NES one? My god that sucked. The arcade game was great, so I hope that's what you mean. I remember being a part of a group of kids that beat it one day and how it drew a good sized crowd of kids gathered around the machine. I don't even want to think about how much money we blew on that machine though.

In no particular order, except the first one:

Baldur's Gate II - for my money the best RPG ever made from story and characters, to sidequests, to the strategic combat system, to length...200 hours of meaningful things to do, not filler content! Hell, the *expansion* was 50 hours long.

All of the other old school Bioware cRPGs.

Knights of the Old Republic

Mass Effect 1 & 2 (and no, 3 isn't listed, and it has way more to do with the game than with the ending)

Deus Ex

Battlefield 2-3 (barely played 4 due to time, sadly)

Quake III (rail-only CTF!!!) - I still much prefer the old arena shooters to the new team and class-based stuff

Starcraft

Warcraft II

Diablo I & II

Zelda...all of them minus the second

Dragon Age: Origins

Mario 3

Chrono Trigger

FFVI

Secret of Mana

Sieken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2....thank you emulators!)

The Guardian Legend

Sonic 2

Earthbound

Bioshock franchise

NHL series

Madden

Tecmo Super Bowl

Morrowind - my introduction to the Elder Scrolls series, and I think it's the best of the modern incarnations

Ice Hockey 

Blades of Steel

I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of at the moment, but there those are the ones that jumped to mind. I will say that as I got older I found myself playing fewer and fewer multiplayer FPS games...what can I say, it was fun to kill the bad players when I invested a lot of time in them, but it's not especially enjoyable to get lit up by l33t-speaking 17 year olds who can practice for 4 hours every day when I can get 4 hours a month in.

Edited by TrueBluePhD
  • Like (+1) 1

Wth... no Pong fans? :P

Hey Hey there buddy, you making fun!

Pong, black and white tv, Mom "your to close to the tv ...you'll ruin your eyes!!" and dead serious .

The Era....as grade schoolers they would line us up and march us to the basement of the school (following the FALL OUT SHELTER signs) so we could properly learn how to put our head between our legs and kiss our ass good by during a nuclear attack.

My long term girlfriend hates games (besides Mario) so it's not something I do much anymore.

But all time favorite games

Dune 2000

Final Fantasy 6

Zelda series (last I played was n64)

Donkey kong series

Mega man legends

Halo 2

Elder scrolls morrowind

Star Wars knights of the old republic

Rainbow six Vegas

Fallout 3

Mass effect series

Civilization series

Kings quest 7 I think

Edited by Johnny DangerFace

I'm ashamed for not mentioning

Street Fighter 2

The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Mortal Kombat

Metroid

Doom(PC)

Oregon Trail(PC)

Star Fox

Marble Madness

And of course...

...Duck Hunt

ZOMG, how could I forget Oregon Trail, Marble Madness, and Duck Hunt??  Great stuff.

Hey Hey there buddy, you making fun!

Pong, black and white tv, Mom "your to close to the tv ...you'll ruin your eyes!!" and dead serious .

The Era....as grade schoolers they would line us up and march us to the basement of the school (following the FALL OUT SHELTER signs) so we could properly learn how to put our head between our legs and kiss our ass good by during a nuclear attack.

Only of myself, haha... Pong is seriously one of my favorites of all time.  So simple, yet so entertaining.  I guess I should add Breakout (Atari) as well... old school, lol.

Dude. Duuuuude. If you're the marrying type, this becomes important...

Haha we've been together for 8 years. She likes children and career stuff....boooooooooo (also hates sports, besides the patriots. Brady is cute)

I Also liked the "new" x-com game!

Well, her hating games (and sports! :blink:) isn't a deal-breaker as long as she isn't the type to harrass you about spending time on them.   ;)

In no particular order, except the first one:

[snip]

I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of at the moment, but there those are the ones that jumped to mind. I will say that as I got older I found myself playing fewer and fewer multiplayer FPS games...what can I say, it was fun to kill the bad players when I invested a lot of time in them, but it's not especially enjoyable to get lit up by l33t-speaking 17 year olds who can practice for 4 hours every day when I can get 4 hours a month in.

<3 Blue.  Deus Ex and Morrowind, I knew I liked you.  If I may, why omit Mass effect 3 and not 2? Kotor probably should've made my list as well.

Haha we've been together for 8 years. She likes children and career stuff....boooooooooo (also hates sports, besides the patriots. Brady is cute)

I Also liked the "new" x-com game!

The new XCOM is awesome.

<3 Blue.  Deus Ex and Morrowind, I knew I liked you.  If I may, why omit Mass effect 3 and not 2? Kotor probably should've made my list as well.

The new XCOM is awesome.

I thought 3 was the worst in the series in every respect except combat relative to the original. I couldn't stand the side quest structure of walking around and getting random journal updates from conversations you don't even remotely care about, and I found the overall crew to be the least interesting of the three games. I also thought the pacing was completely out of whack--I know there has to be some suspension of disbelief, but Earth is getting annihilated and I could lollygag around as much as I wanted to without consequence. I know realistically they couldn't put "you have 2 hours or doom" into the game, but I thought they could have made you feel the pressure. Lastly, of course, is the ending. What a mess. The

indoctrination fan fiction ending

was not only more interesting, but made about three bazillion times more sense in totality. Oh, and the fact that Bioware said all along you didn't need to do multiplayer to get the "best" ending and then in fact you did have to do so, just infuriated me. I blame Electronic Arts for much of this, but yea, F that game. Overall I thought ME2 was the best in the entire series, it just suffered from mid-trilogy syndrome. The characters, combat, missions...all of it was top-notch, even if it didn't have quite the intrigue of the original. 

biodork, on 13 Feb 2015 - 11:09 AM, said:

Well, her hating games (and sports! :blink:) isn't a deal-breaker as long as she isn't the type to harrass you about spending time on them.   ;)

You're just doing them on your own.  :bag:

ME2 was the best? Ugh no.  "Didn't have quite the intrigue of the original." is like saying that Brian Flynn doesn't have quite as much skill as Patrick Kane.

The story starts with the main character being exploded into space, and then crashing into a planet with an atmosphere, and then being resurrected 2 minutes later with no consequences whatsoever.  The story was a mess back and forth.

The Legion and Mordin quests were incredibly well written, but everything to do with the main quest is nonsensical and frustrating.  The game also does its best to conflict with the amazing conversation with Sovereign in the first game.

"You are nothing" becomes "KILL SHEPHARD GET SHEPHARD KILL SHEPARD.  Oh yeah you aren't nothing you're how we procreate"

[this video contains massive Mass Effect 1 spoilers]

The second part of the trilogy should be learning about the Reapers, instead you just dick around with the Collectors and the mythos of the first game gets curb stomped at the end.

I totally agree with the main storyline portion, which is why I said 2 suffers from mid-trilogy syndrome. But, I think the game play and awesomeness of characters makes up for it. The original ME's combat is almost unplayable. And screw the Mako, seriously. The second was all about the characters and their missions, which I thought were far and away better than anything from the original.

I totally agree with the main storyline portion, which is why I said 2 suffers from mid-trilogy syndrome. But, I think the game play and awesomeness of characters makes up for it. The original ME's combat is almost unplayable. And screw the Mako, seriously. The second was all about the characters and their missions, which I thought were far and away better than anything from the original.

I don't really like the gameplay in either game, but the Vanguard charge made ME2 more fun for sure.

• 2 months later...

Picked up Bloodborne yesterday for the PS4. Holy smokes! A complete must play if you're into rpgs. Can't put it down. Simply an incredible game.

I play it at a friend's house. Definitely a punishing game, but great graphics.

I guess my list in no particular order would be

Smash tv

Socom

Metal gear solid 4

Gran turismo

Tenshu

Skate or die

Paperboy

Soul caliber

Tekken

Also I got to say mortal kombat x is highly addictive. My left thumb is twice the size it used to be.

If you've got a PS4 download Resogun. I'm not sure if it's free anymore, but boy is it a fun arcade-style game. Very addicting.

I'd download it, but Comcast blows. Works fine w/ my PS3, but the connection w/ the PS4 is terrible. One minute I can make updates in matter of seconds. Next minute it takes 39 hours. Not exaggerating. Going w/ top feed right provided by Comcast. No excuse for it.

Well never got around to getting a PS3 or 4 even. 

For nostalgic reasons PS1 games i loved

1. Command and Conquer (freeking awesome storyline)

2. NHL 2000

3. FIFA 1998

4. Destruction derby  pure for giggles.

Only two im playing nowadays, just to satisfy my inner geek.

STO (star trek online) not that I am big "trekkie", but this game does fill in alot of holes in the storyline. 

and www.planetarion.com <---- stay away from that one, just a dumb excell sheet based game :p