qwksndmonster

Anyone picking up Madden 20?  Haven’t purchased Madden in years.  But w/ Josh Allen being in his 2nd season and the Bills roster looking to be improved, thinking it might be worth it.  How has the gameplay been the last few years?  It can be fun to be a GM, but game play is what matters the most, in my opinion.  So,  worth buying?  

• 2 months later...

My wife got me the Xbox one S bundled with Battlefield 1for an anniversary gift. I’ve played mostly just FPS forever on pc. This is my first console since an old Sega. The first two hours of play were rough. I couldn’t hit a bull in the ass with a barn shovel. I literally would shoot over the head, then over each shoulder and once between the knees every time. I was laughing my ass off the whole time. My brain is rewriting the necessary code though and I’m starting to have some fun. Looking forward to the Fallen Order game coming out next month.

Edited by Ogre

17 hours ago, Ogre said:

My wife got me the Xbox one S bundled with Battlefield 1for an anniversary gift. I’ve played mostly just FPS forever on pc. This is my first console since an old Sega. The first two hours of play were rough. I couldn’t hit a bull in the ass with a barn shovel. I literally would shoot over the head, then over each shoulder and once between the knees every time. I was laughing my ass off the whole time. My brain is rewriting the necessary code though and I’m starting to have some fun. Looking forward to the Fallen Order game coming out next month.

I had a similar experience with Borderlands 3 on the PS4 last month.  I've played the entire series so far on the PS3, so I figured I'd have no trouble.  But they tweaked the controls just enough that I was shooting like Alexi Zhitnik at first.  And that's not even a PC to console switch.  I've adapted now, but I'm playing the game in a completely different style than I did with the earlier ones.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if it's buried somewhere in this thread but I'm looking to buy a new Video Game Console.  I had an Xbox 360 most recently.  The Nintendo switch looks awesome but the games are not appealing in the least.  I'm looking to do so for some bonding with my 5 year old.  I'd like games I can play with him but also without him.  Most interested in sports games and exploration, adventure, shooting games.  Any advice you can offer would be great.  

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

Sorry if it's buried somewhere in this thread but I'm looking to buy a new Video Game Console.  I had an Xbox 360 most recently.  The Nintendo switch looks awesome but the games are not appealing in the least.  I'm looking to do so for some bonding with my 5 year old.  I'd like games I can play with him but also without him.  Most interested in sports games and exploration, adventure, shooting games.  Any advice you can offer would be great.  

A system to grow into with the 5 year old and have a huge selection of used games from a local GameStop so you aren’t blowing $50-$60 a game ... I’ve owned nothing but PlayStations. There are free game downloads as well on the PS network. I would recommend PS4. Look online as to the pluses and minuses of the Xbox vs. PS4. You’ll see what works for you and your family. Between the two systems, you can’t go wrong.

12 minutes ago, inkman said:

Are there any franchises you are into like say Marvel, Star Wars, HP, Indiana Jones, etc? Not sure if you have every tried any of the Lego games, but while the gameplay mechanics are rather straightforward, they have a great exploration element to them, especially if you are a fan of the worlds themselves. Even with it being Lego, the Harry Potter games for example are probably the most immersive HP gaming experience out there, that I've found as a fan. 

I'm not sure if they'd be up your alley if you aren't say a big Star Wars fan or what have you, as they trend towards being a more simple type game, but your son might really enjoy them and they are 2-player at the same time co-op games. They are available on most of the new consoles I believe. I play them with my young nephew (he's 5) and he really likes them. 

- - - 

Sports games are pretty similar across say PS4 and X-Box One. 

Edited by Thorny

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Are there any franchises you are into like say Marvel, Star Wars, HP, Indiana Jones, etc? Not sure if you have every tried any of the Lego games, but while the gameplay mechanics are rather straightforward, they have a great exploration element to them, especially if you are a fan of the worlds themselves. Even with it being Lego, the Harry Potter games for example are probably the most immersive HP gaming experience out there, that I've found as a fan. 

I'm not sure if they'd be up your alley if you aren't say a big Star Wars fan or what have you, as they trend towards being a more simple type game, but your son might really enjoy them and they are 2-player at the same time co-op games. They are available on most of the new consoles I believe. I play them with my young nephew (he's 5) and he really likes them. 

My favorite games from Xbox were Far Cry, Halo, Madden, NCAA Football, Assassin's Creed, GTA.  

My son watches these God awful youtube videos of Minecraft, Hello Neighbor, and stuff like that.  

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2019 at 10:16 PM, drnkirishone said:

Anyone playing the new star wars game? Is it any good?

Fantastic! The wife hooked me up for Xmas. I popped my cherry on Bogano and have scoured every inch of Zeffo(making note of where I need to return later). I just landed the Mantis on Dathomir. Puzzles are fun. Story is intriguing. Combat is challenging. I find myself spending time just checking out the scenery. ???? 

9 hours ago, Ogre said:

Fantastic! The wife hooked me up for Xmas. I popped my cherry on Bogano and have scoured every inch of Zeffo(making note of where I need to return later). I just landed the Mantis on Dathomir. Puzzles are fun. Story is intriguing. Combat is challenging. I find myself spending time just checking out the scenery. ???? 

Yes!  I second that!  I also got this game for Christmas.  Can’t put it down.  Stayed up way too late playing it last night.... ? Very addicting.  

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 9:52 AM, GoPre said:

Yes!  I second that!  I also got this game for Christmas.  Can’t put it down.  Stayed up way too late playing it last night.... ? Very addicting.  

I have a few more chests yet to find and one more stim case but other than that I’ve looked in every nook and cranny, under every rock and learned all that the force has to teach me. This has become one of my favorite SW games ever. Can’t wait for the sequel.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/17/2020 at 10:36 PM, Ogre said:

I have a few more chests yet to find and one more stim case but other than that I’ve looked in every nook and cranny, under every rock and learned all that the force has to teach me. This has become one of my favorite SW games ever. Can’t wait for the sequel.

Same here.  Incredible game.  A must play.  

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Cool. I’ll have to pick up a copy in a three months when the used games are cheap cheap lol. I almost never buy games brand new. I can’t bring myself to pay $50-$60 for a game ?.

Meh. $60 for the amount of hours a good game will give you is among the best entertainment values around. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Meh. $60 for the amount of hours a good game will give you is among the best entertainment values around. 

Yep. And $25-35 is even better. ?

I’m only speaking for me here... I’ve never been one to need a new video game the day it comes out. The week it comes out. The month in comes out. Same with consoles. As an example, I got the PS4 last year for Christmas. It first came out just before Christmas in 2013. I’ll get the new SW game (because of the positive reviews here and elsewhere).  Probably in May.

33 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Yep. And $25-35 is even better. ?

I’m only speaking for me here... I’ve never been one to need a new video game the day it comes out. The week it comes out. The month in comes out. Same with consoles. As an example, I got the PS4 last year for Christmas. It first came out just before Christmas in 2013. I’ll get the new SW game (because of the positive reviews here and elsewhere).  Probably in May.

That's fair. I'm normally the same way. Except The Witcher 3. That I pre-ordered and downloaded at release. 

So I finally bit the bullet and bought a 4k tv this weekend. Let me tell you, I thought RDR2 was pretty in 1080p. But with HDR it's almost too good.

Watching movies is wild and I'm going to have to adjust. 2160p feels like too many p. Tremors shouldn't look *this* good lol 

47 minutes ago, darksabre said:

So I finally bit the bullet and bought a 4k tv this weekend. Let me tell you, I thought RDR2 was pretty in 1080p. But with HDR it's almost too good.

Watching movies is wild and I'm going to have to adjust. 2160p feels like too many p. Tremors shouldn't look *this* good lol 

I upgraded my main TV to 4k in December when I got Disney+.  It was so worth it.  I kind of wish I was constrained to buying a 55" screen, but the additional money to revise all the surrounding furniture would have negated the value of the screen itself.

Still... wow.  I don't even game on it (no 4k console anyway), but yeah.

12 minutes ago, LTS said:

I upgraded my main TV to 4k in December when I got Disney+.  It was so worth it.  I kind of wish I was constrained to buying a 55" screen, but the additional money to revise all the surrounding furniture would have negated the value of the screen itself.

Still... wow.  I don't even game on it (no 4k console anyway), but yeah.

I ended up with a 50" after debating whether I needed a 55", and ultimately the 50" is plenty big. The displays in the store really distort things. I don't know who out there is buying 65"+ but holy crap those are big TVs. 

The lack of motion blur in movies is really noticable. Predator was on earlier and I couldn't believe how good it looked. I just assumed older movies all looked a little ***** because reasons ?

4 hours ago, darksabre said:

I ended up with a 50" after debating whether I needed a 55", and ultimately the 50" is plenty big. The displays in the store really distort things. I don't know who out there is buying 65"+ but holy crap those are big TVs. 

The lack of motion blur in movies is really noticable. Predator was on earlier and I couldn't believe how good it looked. I just assumed older movies all looked a little ***** because reasons ?

Yeah.. there's a basic distance calculation that tells you what size is optimal.  I was replacing a 55".  Technically 58" would have fit, but they stopped making those.  If I had a long room I would go in for a much bigger screen, but too big and it's actually a bad thing.  It's the same number of pixels, just spaced out more.  The detail if you are too close really suffers... even at 4k.

• 3 weeks later...

Jedi Fallen Order was a great game start to finish.  Finished my first play through this morning.  Highly recommend this game.  Story and gameplay were fantastic.  Maybe best Star Wars game ever?  Never played Knights of the Old Republic.  Battlefront 2 in the PS2 days was a must play. 

Started Shadow of the Tomb Raider today.  I expected a let down because of reviews in 2018, but right now I’m enjoying it very much.  Game play isn’t as shoot em’ up as the first two, but it’s still a blast. Glad I did not pass on this game.  

Edited by GoPre
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GoPre said:

Jedi Fallen Order was a great game start to finish.  Finished my first play through this morning.  Highly recommend this game.  Story and gameplay were fantastic.  Maybe best Star Wars game ever?  Never played Knights of the Old Republic.  Battlefront 2 in the PS2 days was a must play. 

Started Shadow of the Tomb Raider today.  I expected a let down because of reviews in 2018, but right now I’m enjoying it very much.  Game play isn’t as shoot em’ up as the first two, but it’s still a blast. Glad I did not pass on this game.  

Fallen Order was fantastic. Every nook and cranny...looking forward to a dlc or sequel. There are rumors of both. Went on to Styx:Shards of Darkness. It was free on Gold so I tried it. Never played a stealth game before but I liked it. The story was ***** up as was the goblin that you played as. The ending was bizarre but fitting. Going to give the Outer Worlds a try next. Red dead redemption looks cool. Couple of free ones coming up on Gold I haven’t played yet. I added 2tb external storage so I’m not shy about downloading free stuff.