Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

This reminds me of the Pominville trade when everyone said we won the trade with the Wild. A 30 goal scorer for picks and prospects.

The prospects haven't done anything. The trade is essentially Pominville for Zadorov and until we know what he is the jury is still out.

I think Myers for Bogo is a wash so Kane gets a local whipping boy a 1st and some prospects.

Anybody have info on the goalie?

Injured last year.  This year, .900 sv% in about 25ish games.  GAA just under 3, but that doesn't matter to me very much since I know nothing of the quality of RPI's defense.

Anybody have info on the goalie?

I posted it earlier but I'll repeat it. He had a very strong freshman year, missed most of his sophomore year, and now has weak numbers in his junior season. RPI has a really bad team this year, so it's tough to judge based on that. Goalies are tough to judge at that level, but I've seen him described as probably not an NHL guy. Still, Murray had to have been interested in him if they added him in this deal.

We gave up an NHL defenseman (who I think is overrated) and a rental plus three unproven prospects for two established NHL players (both former top-5 picks).  We know Kane and Bogosian can play in the league.  The other pieces (Armia, Lemieux, late 1st) are just gambles of futures.

I don't think it is that much of an overpayment, personally.

Kane's numbers are on par with some of the best players in the league. The guy scores, skates, drives to the net, and fights when he needs to. What's not to like on him? Off the ice attitude? wah.

I think people are worried about his on-ice slackitude. All will be well if he just didn't like the Jets for some reason. The big problem starts if he finds something to not like about the Sabres and pulls the same . If he does, the Sabres have a two-time slacker and will get significantly less for a trade since GMs will be starting to wise up to his discontent.

That's the benefit of having a home team.

Good idea, I'll start rooting for the Flyers. Wait...

This was the only way we were going to get a top line winger worthy of McEichel's line. Armia was not going to be that guy imo. As far as I am concerned we moved the infection, Armia and a prospect for a legit top end winger for our shiny new feanchise center to be.

Mogilny/Lafontaine. Andrechuck/Turgeon. Martin/Perreault

Yeah it was steep but will be so worth it.

We gave up an NHL defenseman (who I think is overrated) and a rental plus three unproven prospects for two established NHL players (both former top-5 picks).  We know Kane and Bogosian can play in the league.  The other pieces (Armia, Lemieux, late 1st) are just gambles of futures.

I don't think it is that much of an overpayment, personally.

Logical thoughts not allowed

Told the Kane to Sabres deal is done. Trade call made.

Rumoured #NHLJets deal:Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux,lowest of BUF first round picks for Kane, Bogosian and unsigned goalie Jason Kasdorf.

Rolling the dice on Kane. I think GMTM paid too much. Frankly, Darcy knew how to wheel and deal better.

You roll the dice. Stafford, Armia, Myers and Lemieux weren't taking us anywhere anytime soon.

Right on.

It was just a few days ago I posted Murray will trade guys that we wanted to keep in a package that we think is an overpayment to get guys he wants. This is who our GM is, people. Zero ###### Given. get used to it.

Now this is the correct usage of ZFG.

Exactly, there's ups and downs.  When you're splitting hairs over goals in the Dub or OHL, then come back to me.  Lemeiux's biggest intangible is his attitude and work ethic, that's what I will miss.  The stats can say what they will.  Armia, had his hands and the ability to make passes.  So did Ville Leino in 2007-2009 (? - end year) for Philadelphia.  You can slant it all you want about this and that.  Murray did his job and that's changing the culture.  You have to make risky moves to succeed in a fickle business.

Absolutely.  This team is crying for an overhaul.

For a fan base that has been forced to watch ###### for the past two years, there's a lot of crying going on.

Our pipeline is still among the best in the league. We still are leading the race to McEichel.

We used our wealth of picks to get real NHL players, ones that are still young.

GMTM showed he's got balls. The fans need some too.

This too.

And for those criticizing the trade:  are you really not looking forward to seeing a top line, starting 8 months from now, featuring Eichel and Kane?

The Sabres have been dying for high-end talent at forward.  They just got a guy who GMTM thinks is a no-BS top-line NHL forward.  Would you rather have made like Darcy and waited another 3 years to see whether Armia becomes one?

There is a pretty solid likelihood that:

- Kane is the best player in this trade

- Myers and Bogosian end up having roughly equivalent careers

- Neither Armia, Lemieux nor the #1 pick the Sabres gave up turns into a real difference-maker in the NHL

- Between Stewart and the goalies, the Sabres end up getting more draft picks that turn into respectable assets.

Yes, it was expensive.  But that's what it costs. 

When was the last time a young forward drafted in the top 4 was traded?  Did it cost less than what the Sabres just paid?

This was the only way we were going to get a top line winger worthy of McEichel's line. Armia was not going to be that guy imo. As far as I am concerned we moved the infection, Armia and a prospect for a legit top end winger for our shiny new feanchise center to be.

Mogilny/Lafontaine. Andrechuck/Turgeon. Martin/Perreault

Yeah it was steep but will be so worth it.

Yes indeed.  I think you would have lost your mind with another prospect trade.  I like it that phase II of the rebuild has officially begun and soon the tank will be in the rearview mirror.

that seems like a kings ransom to me.  Is he and Bogosian really worth that much?

and I'm never buying another Sabres jersey.  Every Jersey I have purchased for myself is of a player that gets traded...

This is why I never put a name on a jersey.

anybody listenting to the WPG radio guys?  they're drooling over Stafford, lol

Well.. we will now find out if it was Buffalo.  Winnipeg has quite a few people in the vein of Stafford who are succeeding this year.  You never know.

I didn't want Kane, but it seemed as though we were going to get him anyway.  I don't necessarily like what was given up either.  But hoping for Armia and being a fanboi over Lemieux I am not.  So they are gone.  The Sabres in theory advanced their wing by replacing Armia with Kane.

They let a prospect go who would not have been in Buffalo next year anyway (Lemieux).

They let Stafford go, who was a non-factor and was leaving anyway.

They let Myers go, who after watching the past few games I wanted gone anyway.  I think the trade talk was bothering him as well.

The first? okay.. so there it goes.  They have two more and who knows.. maybe they get one back?

It's a bold move that moves the club forward next year.  I'm going to live with it and see what else happens.