Trestmanan OC?

Thurman DC

Revis and Gilmore cornerbacks?

Sanchez QB?

Trestmanan OC? Okay, I guess

Thurman DC, Okay, I guess

Revis and Gilmore cornerbacks?, Yes please

Sanchez QB?, NFW

I'm stoked about Ryan, which is weird, because he's normally not the type of coach I'd be excited about. I just think he's really good, and since we live in reality and not fantasy land, I have to acknowledge we don't have a great QB and we're unlikely to get one. So our best chance without getting obscenely lucky is to ride a great D, and Ryan's the best in the league at it IMO. He's going to do some stuff on game day that drives me nuts, but I still think this is a great hire.

I'm stoked about Ryan, which is weird, because he's normally not the type of coach I'd be excited about. I just think he's really good, and since we live in reality and not fantasy land, I have to acknowledge we don't have a great QB and we're unlikely to get one. So our best chance without getting obscenely lucky is to ride a great D, and Ryan's the best in the league at it IMO. He's going to do some stuff on game day that drives me nuts, but I still think this is a great hire.

That is the formula the Ravens won their first SB with. A lights out Defense and Trent f-ing Dilfer. They need a QB that can manage the game,

10-20, 160 yards and 1 TD. Couple that with a decent run game and a solid D.

But if his first decision is to bring Mark Sanchez in, I am off the bandwagon from the get go.

Edited by wjag

This is a great hire. This team did not need to go out and hire a first time HC. Just to many unknowns and this team is too close to being a playoff team to roll the dice with that.

Players run through walls for Ryan. The minute he walks in that room he will have the players respect. Coaches like Reich, Quinn, Bevell etc. will be earning the players respect as they go. We don't have time for that.

Great hire and shows this ownership is different.

This is a great hire. This team did not need to go out and hire a first time HC. Just to many unknowns and this team is too close to being a playoff team to roll the dice with that.

Players run through walls for Ryan. The minute he walks in that room he will have the players respect. Coaches like Reich, Quinn, Bevell etc. will be earning the players respect as they go. We don't have time for that.

Great hire and shows this ownership is different.

He is one of the biggest names available and the Bills got him. The times they are a changing

But if his first decision is to bring Mark Sanchez in, I am off the bandwagon from the get go.

I'm not sure I'm on it now. At all. The only Jets coach in recent memory that I'd like even less as HC of the Bills is Rich Kotite. My current opinion of Ryan is that he is a foul-mouthed idiot, an idiot who provided a lot of embarrassing off the field moments for the Jets in his tenure.

I don't remember if it was Physics or PhD, but one of those gentlemen mentioned in reply to one of my posts a couple weeks back is that the best option for the Bills was to find the next great coach - like a Harbaugh before he made a name as HC, or a Belichick, or a Parsells. Find the NEW talent, who will emerge as a great HC.

Instead of this, the Bills instead went for a long term deal (5 years) with a nationally known commodity. For some reason I see Brandon's hand in that thought process. An 'unknown' with potential to be the next big-name coach doesn't generate marketing 'buzz'.

Or maybe I'm just too cynical and suspicious of Brandon. It might instead just be the inevitable outcome of 'Designed by Committee'.

Hey, if Ryan takes the Bills to 10-6 or 11-5 next season, I'll be the first to recant.

I'm not sure I'm on it now. At all. The only Jets coach in recent memory that I'd like even less as HC of the Bills is Rich Kotite. My current opinion of Ryan is that he is a foul-mouthed idiot, an idiot who provided a lot of embarrassing off the field moments for the Jets in his tenure.

I don't remember if it was Physics or PhD, but one of those gentlemen mentioned in reply to one of my posts a couple weeks back is that the best option for the Bills was to find the next great coach - like a Harbaugh before he made a name as HC, or a Belichick, or a Parsells. Find the NEW talent, who will emerge as a great HC.

Instead of this, the Bills instead went for a long term deal (5 years) with a nationally known commodity. For some reason I see Brandon's hand in that thought process. An 'unknown' with potential to be the next big-name coach doesn't generate marketing 'buzz'.

Or maybe I'm just too cynical and suspicious of Brandon. It might instead just be the inevitable outcome of 'Designed by Committee'.

Hey, if Ryan takes the Bills to 10-6 or 11-5 next season, I'll be the first to recant.

Problem with hiring "the next great coach " is for every first time coach that becomes great there are 20 that get fired and go back to being a coordinator or college coach. I totally get what your saying but if I am Pegula I do the same exact thing.

From an organization standpoint this is both the safer and popular pick. Again, don't underestimate the message it sends to the players.

That is one of the things I like. It's a splashy hire that tells the league that the Bills are serious.

It's entirely different from the direction of the franchise while under Ralph. Not once did we hear that we are small market and can't afford him the same way it was thrown around when Chan ended up as our coach. When is the last time there was excitement about a hire at head coach for the Bills? The last time they got a top name in this sense may have been Gregg Williams when Donahoe was in town? And Rex actually has a resume.

It's entirely different from the direction of the franchise while under Ralph. Not once did we hear that we are small market and can't afford him the same way it was thrown around when Chan ended up as our coach. When is the last time there was excitement about a hire at head coach for the Bills? The last time they got a top name in this sense may have been Gregg Williams when Donahoe was in town? And Rex actually has a resume.

I think the last time the Bills hired an established head coach with some track record of success, it may have been Chuck Knox.

I think the last time the Bills hired an established head coach with some track record of success, it may have been Chuck Knox.

Ahem..

Marv Levy was reasonably successful in KC

Edit... I just looked up his KC record and he was sub 500 although he did win 2 Grey Cups

Edited by wjag

Unless one is counting Phillips (and that's a stretch) that's correct. Ground Marv (from his KC days) wouldn't meet the criteria.

Ahem..

Marv Levy was reasonably successful in KC

Edit... I just looked up his KC record and he was sub 500

Marv was most definitely not a splashy, big name hire when he replaced Bullough mid-season. He definitely had a track record of success as a ST coach, but not head coach really.

Edited by Claude_Verret

not the worst pick in the world......because Rex knows all about lousy QBs. He has been stuck with them forever. He doesn't need to reinvent the wheel.

Lets hope his disgust with mangy QBing translates into us getting a real QB some day

Edited by calti

Marv was most definitely not a splashy, big name hire when he replaced Bullough mid-season. He definitely had a track record of success as a ST coach, but not head coach really.

He won two Grey Cubs for Montreal

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.