GDT: 12/4/2014, Buffalo @ Tampa Bay: 7:30pm MSG

LGR4GM

...it was so dirty even Milan Lucic said "that was a dirty hit"...

Meh. Milan wouldn't dirty himself with a hit that clean.

The response, and the initial penalty call, had a lot more to do with what had just happened than the actual hit.

The ref's hand went up the second it happened.

And he ended up calling interference.

How dirty was it?

Honestly, in real time it just looked like a garden variety hip check to me. Clearly late, thus the interference penalty. On replay, it wasn't up at hip level, he was targeting Gus's knees. It was a thing of beauty that Nikita came in like the Avenging Angel of Death to wreak havoc so quickly, and just as beautiful when Gus did his part.

Meh. Milan wouldn't dirty himself with a hit that clean.

The response, and the initial penalty call, had a lot more to do with what had just happened than the actual hit.

And he ended up calling interference.

It was not a clean hit. The only reason it wasn't worse is that Gus saw it coming and protected himself.

Some people think all hip-checks are dirty. I don't. Some people think low hip-checks that target the knees are dirty. I'm on the fence, Low hip-checks on the boards I think are somewhat dirty. When they are late, as well, there is no debate.

There is also no penalty for it.

EDIT: no penalty other than interference, that is.

Edited by SwampD

Last night during the game the Sabres were in Marine Corps mode in the third period ("Kill 'em all and let the Lord sort 'em out.") If there was an altercation there was no hesitation with respect to "Should I escalate this?" or "Well, our guy started it." If there was a Sabre getting into it with with a TB player, the rest of the team acted NOW. This is the kind of thing that should have happened when Miller got run, instead of the nominal response we saw back then. The kids are clearly taking over this team. The new core is Zemgus, Little Nicky :devil:, Zads and Rasmus. You want in, you're welcome to join. You're not that kind of player? There's the door. For all his perceived laziness I think CoHo is trying to sign on. Out of that core I see Gus as the C and Deslauriers and Risto as As. (Nikita is too batshitinsane to wear a letter.)

Risto is interesting to watch. He's got ice in his veins, very cool, calm and collected. But when things get rough he clearly doesn't back down and doesn't mind mixing it up. He and Zads are a perfect pairing; they complement each other nicely.

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

It was not a clean hit. The only reason it wasn't worse is that Gus saw it coming and protected himself.

Some people think all hip-checks are dirty. I don't. Some people think low hip-checks that target the knees are dirty. I'm on the fence, Low hip-checks on the boards I think are somewhat dirty. When they are late, as well, there is no debate.

There is also no penalty for it.

EDIT: no penalty other than interference, that is.

I've never seen it called, but there is a penalty for "clipping."

I've never seen it called, but there is a penalty for "clipping."

Wow. I never knew that. I'm guessing that most refs don't either because, you're right, I've never seen it called.

I also don't think that the hit on Gus (is it okay to call him that?) wasn't clipping, only because he's really good and saw the hit coming.

Serious question. Did you really not think that a dirty hit to the future captain needed to be addressed?

I'm saying everything from the Stamkos swing on, everything, was stupid hockey, by both sides. It was an embarrassment to the game of hockey.

Well this is on Nolan then. These two should never be together. They are the same player. Playing them together renders both of them useless.

Myers and Gorges look good together, Myers and Strachan look good together. Strachan and Weber look terrible together, Zadorov and Risto are welded together for all time. Not easy being an NHL coach.

I don't think Gorges and Weber would work either. One of Weber or Strachan have to be the odd-man out and you bring in a more mobile D to try to make up 3 complementary pairs.

Myers and Gorges look good together, Myers and Strachan look good together. Strachan and Weber look terrible together, Zadorov and Risto are welded together for all time. Not easy being an NHL coach.

I don't think Gorges and Weber would work either. One of Weber or Strachan have to be the odd-man out and you bring in a more mobile D to try to make up 3 complementary pairs.

It's almost like we should bring up Mark Pysyk and send Strachan to Rochester... but I digress.

Weber plays consistently mediocre. You know what to expect. Tough, gritty, a little slow and prone to the poor outlet pass. Strachan plays well at times but occasionally overreaches and ends up way out of position. So he's steady as she goes for a while then OMG!

I wonder how Gorges/Weber would play? Because we know Myers/Strachan works. I know upthread it was theorized that Gorges wouldn't be any better paired with Weber than Strachan is, but.... I wonder.

It was fun seeing Deslauriers taking a few shifts at D when the penalty box was stuffed with Sabres D in the third. Yet another plus he brings - in-game versatility.

Last night during the game the Sabres were in Marine Corps mode in the third period ("Kill 'em all and let the Lord sort 'em out.") If there was an altercation there was no hesitation with respect to "Should I escalate this?" or "Well, our guy started it." If there was a Sabre getting into it with with a TB player, the rest of the team acted NOW. This is the kind of thing that should have happened when Miller got run, instead of the nominal response we saw back then. The kids are clearly taking over this team. The new core is Zemgus, Little Nicky :devil:, Zads and Rasmus. You want in, you're welcome to join. You're not that kind of player? There's the door. For all his perceived laziness I think CoHo is trying to sign on. Out of that core I see Gus as the C and Deslauriers and Risto as As. (Nikita is too batshitinsane to wear a letter.)

Risto is interesting to watch. He's got ice in his veins, very cool, calm and collected. But when things get rough he clearly doesn't back down and doesn't mind mixing it up. He and Zads are a perfect pairing; they complement each other nicely.

Risto and Zadarov are going to be cornerstones to championship teams here in the years to come, whether McDavid or Eichel make it here or not.

When I first saw Deslauriers I wasn't impressed. And really, he isn't the most talented player. But he's all heart, and it seems like his heart is settling into Buffalo nicely.

He's a Ted Nolan kinda player. Honest effort with just enough skill to contribute. He's a meatier Foligno.

He seems like a real cocky SOB.

Good! :devil:

He's the kind of guy that even after he gets his ass kicked, would hold his hands up triumphantly to pump up the team and the fans. I sure wanted to see him go with Hedman.

...it was so dirty even Milan Lucic said "that was a dirty hit"...

Nah, what Lucic thinks is dirty, or as he worded "gutless" was when Dalton Prout dropped and bloodied him with one punch a few weeks ago, after he two hands Prout in the back of the head. Says he will get his revenge as they play them three more times this year. Hopefully Prout will drop him again....if Lucic has the stones to fight him straight up.

Edited by Claude Balls

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.