Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

Where was Mantha picked? Good teams don't tank. They just draft well. Kind of why Detroit is Detroit and Buffalo is Buffalo.

Yes Detroit who found 2 #1 centers in the 6th and 7th rounds during an era where scouting overseas barely existed should be lauded for their great drafted.

Mantha was drafted 20th overall in 2013. Zadorov and Ristolainen were taken 16th and 8th respectively. Mantha is also the oldest player from his draft class.

Can you imagine what we would have done if DR traded Myers, Grigs, and a future 1st for the 20th pick in the draft? Too some of you a year and a half later we should make that deal. On top of that the guy still hasn't played a game in the NHL.

Great point.

Can you imagine what we would have done if DR traded Myers, Grigs, and a future 1st for the 20th pick in the draft? Too some of you a year and a half later we should make that deal. On top of that the guy still hasn't played a game in the NHL.

I agree. I wouldn't do it for Mantha but I've give up that kind of haul for O'Reilly since he has proven it in the big leagues. We'd probably have to sweeten the pot a little more though.

Not even the AHL, at least for a few more hours.

My next question is how many 6'3" Centers with scoring touch do we have? I still believe in Mikhail Grigorenko because his best is still yet to come.

Between Samson, McEichel, and FA, I think we can survive losing Grigs. It's not so much as giving up on Grigs as recognizing better talent and going after it.

This is absurd. I fail to see how this has anything to do with it. Imagine how mad we would have been if we drafted Datsyuk at 18th overall instead of Dimitri Kalinin? :doh:

There's no point in evaluating Mantha/ any player as they were, Myers included, rather than what they are now. There is no way Mantha goes 20th in that draft right now; Detroit took a chance on a guy thinking he'd explode and he did.

Edited by WildCard

Between Samson, McEichel, and FA, I think we can survive losing Grigs. It's not so much as giving up on Grigs as recognizing better talent and going after it.

This is absurd. I fail to see how this has anything to do with it. Imagine how mad we would have been if we drafted Datsyuk at 18th overall instead of Dimitri Kalinin? :doh:

There's no point in evaluating Mantha/ any player as they were, Myers included, rather than what they are now. There is no way Mantha goes 20th in that draft right now; Detroit took a chance on a guy thinking he'd explode and he did.

Am I missing something? He exploded in the Q. Just like Samson will probably explode in the CHL. Does that mean Samson is ready? I think we saw the answer to that already.

McDEichel isn't a Sabre currently so you can not count him. FA has not given us a worthy center since before Drury/Briere days. I think Mantha is a more talented player but by how much is difficult to say.

Myers, Grigorenko, one of our late first and a second might get Mantha. I wanted Mantha. Thought he was one of the top prospects in his class (ahead of Zadorov). But I'm not sure Id go there.

Do you still feel the Sabres should have drafted Mantha over Zadarov? I know Mantha is an absolute stud prospect, but I'm having a hard time saying either is a much better better prospect than the other.

To me, a big-bodied, hammer of a dman with speed and a booming shot is more valuable than just about any winger can be.

Remember Leino had hip problems...

Leinos problems went well beyond his hips. I had a full replacement in September and played my first game of the season Thursday. I'm a hell of a lot older and ride a desk all day. Not saying it is the same thing, but if the staff thinks the prognosis is good, I would take the chance. Jmho

Do you still feel the Sabres should have drafted Mantha over Zadarov? I know Mantha is an absolute stud prospect, but I'm having a hard time saying either is a much better better prospect than the other.

To me, a big-bodied, hammer of a dman with speed and a booming shot is more valuable than just about any winger can be.

Yes, I do. But a lot of teams should have drafted both guys ahead of where they were slotted.

The NHL GM meetings start Tuesday in Toronto. Expect the trade talk to heat up this week. I think the Gorges injury might put the Myers trade talk on the back-burner for now, but we have two free agent-to-be wingers who teams will want: Stewart and Stafford.

Stewart will probably come cheaper than Stafford, so I think he might be the first to be moved. Will Murray make a move this early? Darcy wouldn't, but I think GMTM would if the right deal came along.

Here comes change for the Oiler's; it's a start at least: Oil's looking to trade Perron for a "top-line centre." I doubt they get that from him, but it shows their GM has no clue what's wrong with that organization.

http://www.tsn.ca/re...perron-1.142401

This fan might know though:

"It's bad management. They have had top picks for years... Hell 3 first overall picks. They put them in the lineup as kids on BAD teams with little to no leadership. What do people expect? They know only how to lose. You can say they need D or a top center or a goalie. At this point I don't think any of that makes a difference. They need a culture change in the mentality and work ethic on how to be winners. If I'm in charge nobody is untouchable."

- Random Hockey Fan

y of that makes a difference. They need a culture change in the mentality and work ethic on how to be winners. If I'm in charge nobody is untouchable. Edited by WildCard

Here comes change for the Oiler's; it's a start at least: Oil's looking to trade Perron for a "top-line centre." I doubt they get that from him, but it shows their GM has no clue what's wrong with that organization.

http://www.tsn.ca/re...perron-1.142401

This fan might know though:

y of that makes a difference. They need a culture change in the mentality and work ethic on how to be winners. If I'm in charge nobody is untouchable.

A "top line centre" for Perron? I can't imagine even the most biased Oilers fans thinking that was plausible.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.