Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

I'm interested in ours, too though. Plus another one. :)

We might be able to get the Isles and Blues picks.

In reality, I would love if teams were handing out their first round picks this year... But theres only one Garth just like there was only one house in all of my childhood town that handed out full candy bars on Halloween.

I don't want Myers traded. He's finally the player he was supposed to be. I don't want the Sabres to make the mistake that NYI did with Chara.

Just a gut feeling but I don't think this rumor has any teeth. Unless the return is silly, you don't make the move.

I agree with both of you.

Myers is 24 and just getting to his prime. It is becoming more and more apparent that he has turned the corner on his career.

I have said it before that if the Sabres are patient Myers will be the stud defender that will captain the team when they become cup contenders. I believe he will captain the team to their first cup.

Chris Nichols@NicholsOnHockey 2h2 hours ago

LeBrun: Tyler Myers' name has come up again. Keep an eye on #NHLDucks. #RedWings had talks on Myers last spring.

Chris Nichols@NicholsOnHockey 3h3 hours ago

LeBrun: Tim Murray isn't done building in terms of adding draft picks, prospects. #Sabres

Pierre LeBrun was on TSN 1040 Monday afternoon.

On trade talk involving Eric Brewer and Tyler Myers:

“I’m not sure really how much there’s a market for Brewer at this point. I mean, I think probably his best before day has probably come and gone.

“I would say that Myers has been an intriguing proposition for someone. For starters, a lot of the money has been paid up front on his contract. He had one of those front-loaded, massive contracts where a lot of the big money has gone. So I don’t even know why Buffalo would trade him, frankly. But his name has come up again and there are teams out there that haven’t got done what they wanted to do.

“Anaheim Ducks are one team, they’ve been looking for another defenseman. They were in on Johnny Boychuk and felt the price was too high. So keep an eye on the Ducks.

“Detroit is another team I think would like to add a right-handed defenseman, a guy who can play in their top four. Now Detroit had had talks with Buffalo last spring and they ended up sort of petering out. But that’s another team to keep an eye on.

Edited by BRAWNDO

Send us a top 3 forward or a high end prospect like Mantha or keep him. I don't think he'll ever be the captain (Zemgus has that locked down) but he has shown improvements and gotten better. I'm not adverse to moving him, but we can't get hosed on the deal just because he hit a rough patch on terrible teams for a few seasons.

Edited by WildCard

Dreger Transcript

Darren Dreger was on TSN 1050 Monday evening.

On his sense of the potential availability of Tyler Myers:

“Anaheim would be one of those teams that would have interest in Tyler Myers and has interest in Tyler Myers. Detroit is another team looking for that right-shot defenseman. He fits into that demographic age-wise, where you’re hoping you’re still getting this young player very much in the upswing of his career.

“And from Buffalo’s perspective, Buffalo is trying to downplay the report, by the way. Shocking. That always happens. But I know there have been recent conversations involving the Detroit Red Wings. Now the asking price will be off the charts, and so it should be, again, for everything I just said about Myers. But when you’re only going to be a 30th place team, don’t you have to be open to every trade possibility and scenario?

“So I think that’s absolutely what Tim Murray is doing and thinking in any trade discussions he’s having with Ken Holland or Bob Murray or any other inquiries that are coming in. But as soon as they get to a point where the asking price makes some sense – it’s again too early in the season for those who are buying to overpay, but when that balance kind of finds the middle, then I do expect Myers will get moved.

I agree with both of you.

Myers is 24 and just getting to his prime. It is becoming more and more apparent that he has turned the corner on his career.

I have said it before that if the Sabres are patient Myers will be the stud defender that will captain the team when they become cup contenders. I believe he will captain the team to their first cup.

I respectfully disagree with pretty much all of this. Myers is now in his 6th full season, has played 300+ NHL games and in each successive season he has gotten statistically worse. Yet everyone keeps talking about "when he develops"... just when is that supposed to be? When he is 28? 30?

I can't think of a single top defenseman who wasn't already dominant by game 300 and that includes Chara. Keith, Shea Weber, Doughty, Subban, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Suter, OEL, Chara, etc. all were dominant at this point in their career.

I think what we want Myers to be and what he is are two different things. IMHO, he is a good second pair defenseman on a top team. But, from what I've seen he isn't a guy who will carry a team on his back ala some of the others mentioned above.

So does Murray pull the trigger before the deadline or no? Last years return values on deadline deals were poor at best for most teams. I'm not sure if that's due to how deep the trade pool was last year or what, but I have a feeling Murray pulls his most significant trade prior to the ASG.

I respectfully disagree with pretty much all of this. Myers is now in his 6th full season, has played 300+ NHL games and in each successive season he has gotten statistically worse. Yet everyone keeps talking about "when he develops"... just when is that supposed to be? When he is 28? 30?

I can't think of a single top defenseman who wasn't already dominant by game 300 and that includes Chara. Keith, Shea Weber, Doughty, Subban, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Suter, OEL, Chara, etc. all were dominant at this point in their career.

I think what we want Myers to be and what he is are two different things. IMHO, he is a good second pair defenseman on a top team. But, from what I've seen he isn't a guy who will carry a team on his back ala some of the others mentioned above.

I'm with you on Myers, Potato. I kept hoping and hoping, but it's time to cut bait. Next time you see Goose, I'd be curious to see what his take on Myers is.

Maybe when Datsyuk gets healthy... Gustav Nyquist?

Haters might say Detroit would never pay that price for "lowly" Myers, but that's the kind of price I could see Murray holding out for. Young guy (25), plays center or right wing, extremely well developed through Maine and Grand Rapids, an RFA at the end of the year, looks good on player usage charts, just had a 48 point in 57GP break out season.

At this point why not? I'm a huge fan of Myers. I thought he was one of if not our best player before getting hurt last season. He's a very good player IMO. But it's been two years in a row where we have absolutely no scoring. The worst part is there is very little scoring even in the pipeline. The odds are we don't end up with McEichle so then what? We probably pick 3rd in which you absolutely cannot pass on Hannifan (D) at this point. We have high end prospects that play D and a trade for a guy like Mantha would give us a higher end forward prospect. I would also expect a 2015 first and maybe something else in the deal as well.

A Myers deal is going to be a tough trade for any team to make. Why? Tim Murray is probably going to want a young star in the making...not a good player but a STAR...and I think Buffalo may be looking to throw in a prospect with Myers or a second round pick or higher.

Why? The Sabres are loaded, and I mean LOADED with former and current first round picks..as well as young guys who look to be pretty decent second-liners. They also have a lot of future #2, #3, or #4 D-men. What they need is someone who is going to be a legit first liner. A top 50 forward in the league. For that, you are going to have to sweeten the pot with more than Myers...but this team has a lot of stuff to sweeten that pot with.

There is no way the Sabres can take on any more "good but not great" prospects or future draft picks...they are getting to the point where in the future, they won't have spots for all of the ones they have already.

Once again, If Myers gets moved, I think Buffalo throws in somethingthing extra to get a young STAR forward.

From Fourth Period

The Red Wings aren't the only team interested in Myers, though, as the Anaheim Ducks, Philadelphia Flyers, Carolina Hurricanes and Colorado Avalanche have also called the Sabres.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/det141014.html

Surprised to see Carolina on that list.

The other wild card seems to be EDM Jeff Petry. His asking price will be much less than Myers, so does one of the teams that does not get Petry decide to meet Murray's asking price?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.