Islanders Watch - Tank Commander II

X. Benedict

I thought this deserved its own topic. We have trusted one of our number 1 picks to the loving hands of Islanders GM Garth Snow. In Garth I have a great amount of trust. Just last year he won Buffalo's executive of the year award for doing the most to help the Buffalo Sabres. We count on him still.

Not since the days of Billy Smith have we had a better reason to wish rotten luck, hard cheese, and misfortune upon the prospects of the Islanders.

Our new second favorite team is any team playing the Islanders in 2014-15.

So far the Islanders are not looking completely incompetent up front.....their blue-line is another story.

Offseason moves to date:

Mikhail Graboski - 1/2 point a game centerman via Washington

Nikolai Kulemin - Once 30 goal scorer in 2010-11, he has had just 30 goals since. Via Toronto

TJ Brennan - Well known to Rochester fans. Cannon shot. AHL savant. Unproven NHL talent

Halak - Via - St. Louis - via Buffalo.

Cody Conacher - Still young, but career sputtering since his rookie campaign.

The Isles Top 6 include: Tavares, Neilson, Okposo, all who can put up points.

The Isles blueline is not very deep: Visnovsky, Hickey, Harmonic, Carkner

Youngsters Ryan Strome, and Griffin Reinhart could emerge this year.

Although the Isles have some talent, lack of depth at every position threatens the success of their season.

I think following the Islanders could be one thing that takes some of the sting out of following the NHL next season from a Buffalo perspective.

So opening volley. Which teams today are the Islanders better than?

Looking at rosters, I have this optimistic assessment: I think they are better than only Carolina, Buffalo, Edmonton, and Florida with certainty, and maybe tie with Ottawa and Winnipeg.

So in Wangs world style, we say: Tank on, Garth, Tank on, Wang.

I thought this deserved its own topic. We have trusted one of our number 1 picks to the loving hands of Islanders GM Garth Snow. In Garth I have a great amount of trust. Just last year he won Buffalo's executive of the year award for doing the most to help the Buffalo Sabres. We count on him still.

Not since the days of Billy Smith have we had a better reason to wish rotten luck, hard cheese, and misfortune upon the prospects of the Islanders.

Our new second favorite team is any team playing the Islanders in 2014-15.

So far the Islanders are not looking completely incompetent up front.....their blue-line is another story.

Offseason moves to date:

Mikhail Graboski - 1/2 point a game centerman via Washington

Nikolai Kulemin - Once 30 goal scorer in 2010-11, he has had just 30 goals since. Via Toronto

TJ Brennan - Well known to Rochester fans. Cannon shot. AHL savant. Unproven NHL talent

Halak - Via - St. Louis - via Buffalo.

Cody Conacher - Still young, but career sputtering since his rookie campaign.

The Isles Top 6 include: Tavares, Neilson, Okposo, all who can put up points.

The Isles blueline is not very deep: Visnovsky, Hickey, Harmonic, Carkner

Youngsters Ryan Strome, and Griffin Reinhart could emerge this year.

Although the Isles have some talent, lack of depth at every position threatens the success of their season.

I think following the Islanders could be one thing that takes some of the sting out of following the NHL next season from a Buffalo perspective.

So opening volley. Which teams today are the Islanders better than?

Looking at rosters, I have this optimistic assessment: I think they are better than only Carolina, Buffalo, Edmonton, and Florida with certainty, and maybe tie with Ottawa and Winnipeg.

Nicely done. I would add Calgary to the list as well. Hopefully Florida and the Oilers have improved themselves enough to escape the bottom five.

Looking at the whole vibe of that franchise, they could have one more good tank in them before things pick up in Brooklyn. Inexplicably, Capuano is still the coach and Snow is still the GM. Wang is looking to sell, but everything seems to be status quo for the last season in the Coliseum. Losing is just entrenched there. They annually go into a November funk that's something to behold.

Philly, Nashville, Calgary. I think they could finish higher than Vancouver just because Vancouver is in the West. Maybe Washington too since the Caps are generally a tire fire these days.

I think their pick is probably in the 11-15 range. Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong last year, they signed a couple decent players yesterday, their goaltending will be better this year (because it has to be), and Strome should be able to contribute.

Edited by Robviously

I will continue to proudly be in the minority: the Islanders are a bubble team this year. If we get McDavid or Eichel, we're earning it with our own pick. I'll also agree with Brawndo that Calgary is some serious competition.

I don't think you're in the minority. It feels like I'm one of the few who will be shocked if they finish higher than last year.

Most seem to pencil them in between five and 15. I haven't seriously compared rosters and won't until September, but off the top of my head, bottom five again.

I don't think you're in the minority. It feels like I'm one of the few who will be shocked if they finish higher than last year.

Most seem to pencil them in between five and 15. I haven't seriously compared rosters and won't until September, but off the top of my head, bottom five again.

I expect us to finish higher than the Islanders in the standings. Count on it.

They also added the Bruins' backup goalie, Chad Johnson.

I will say: Those two former Leaf forwards they signed are considered "smart" signings in terms of analytics (puck possession, mostly). And they look like they will get average, rather than terrible goaltending this season.

I said it elsewhere very recently: I fear that they're going to finish in that 18-22 range rather than 26-30.

I think their pick is probably in the 11-15 range. Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong last year, they signed a couple decent players yesterday, their goaltending will be better this year (because it has to be), and Strome should be able to contribute.
I will continue to proudly be in the minority: the Islanders are a bubble team this year.

Yep.

I know I'm repeating myself here, but I really believe the last-season-in-Nassau factor will be significant. The atmosphere in the building will range between dead and hostile, with plenty of support most nights for the opponents. I think you're looking at a good 10%-20% point reduction based on that factor alone (relative to how they would do in a normal home arena).

Perhaps we should track the votes to see which side can properly claim being in the minority? :lol:

Seriously though, the sense I get while reading is most people are saying "They're the Islanders and Garth is still there, of course they'll suck!"

Perhaps we should track the votes to see which side can properly claim being in the minority? :lol:

Seriously though, the sense I get while reading is most people are saying "They're the Islanders and Garth is still there, of course they'll suck!"

A poll wouldn't be a bad idea.

We're all aware of how the knee could limit Tavares this year. On top of that, they've taken one hell of a hit on his left wing with the loss of Moulson/Vanek. Who is going to fill that slot? Kulemin/Graboski are essentially a lock to be paired up together on their 2nd line.

I know I'm repeating myself here, but I really believe the last-season-in-Nassau factor will be significant. The atmosphere in the building will range between dead and hostile, with plenty of support most nights for the opponents. I think you're looking at a good 10%-20% point reduction based on that factor alone (relative to how they would do in a normal home arena).

Are they moving to Brooklyn? Man - from what I heard about the Raptors-Nets series, that arena may not be much better for the home team.

I cannot wait to see what this board looks like when Snow gets the boot after this season and Darcy is the new GM :w00t:

Unless we get another future #1 draft pick from them, I think most of us will wash our hands of the Isles. I know I won't want to pay attention to that team once we have no future return from them.

Anyone considering Toronto's ability to somehow worm their way to the bottom 5 and surprise surprise land the next crosby in the hockey hub of the universe that is desperate for a superstar?

I don't think anything is beyond their ability and the nhl's meddling to have that happen.

I just have a serious ill feeling some nasty sheeite is gonna go down between now and the end of next june.

Anyone considering Toronto's ability to somehow worm their way to the bottom 5 and surprise surprise land the next crosby in the hockey hub of the universe that is desperate for a superstar?

I don't think anything is beyond their ability and the nhl's meddling to have that happen.

I just have a serious ill feeling some nasty sheeite is gonna go down between now and the end of next june.

:doh:

I hate to give credence to conspiracy theories. That said, I think Toronto is a dark horse candidate for a bottom-5 finish.

I hate to give credence to conspiracy theories. That said, I think Toronto is a dark horse candidate for a bottom-5 finish.

The best example to point at each time conspiracy theories pop up for the NHL:

The New York Rangers were tied for the highest odds of winning the lottery for Sydney Crosby. Where did he wind up? Pittsburgh.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.