Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

I'd expect the Sabres, barring any major offseason changes, to finish no better than the third worst team in the league. The Isles COULD end up in the playoffs, but I doubt that. I see them finishing in the bottom eight or so in the league. My gut/pessimistic brain tells me Buffalo will be drafting at 3 and 9 or so next year.

That would be painful missing out on McDavid and Eichel. Then again Hanifin or Zacha would be a nice addition to the roster.

That would be painful missing out on McDavid and Eichel. Then again Hanifin or Zacha would be a nice addition to the roster.

Painful is what we're used to which is why it is what I'm expecting.

OK, I know I'm in the minority on this, but I don't get this "Islanders will be picking in the teens" consensus that seems to be forming.

Pretty well all of us are in agreement the Sabres will be really bad next year.

Other than Tavares, what makes the Islanders so much better?

Who's more likely to spend more money, Wang or Pegula?

Who's more likely to make smart trades, Snow or Murray?

Who's more likely to inspire his team to overachieve, Capuano or Nolan?

Who's a better goalie combo, Halak/Nilsson or Enroth/Neuvirth?

Who are better top-pairing defencemen, Visnovsky/Hamonic or Ehrhoff/Myers?

Which is a better group of front-line forwards, Grabner/Nielsen/Okposo/Bailey or Ennis/Hodgson/Stafford/Stewart?

Which is better group of support players, Clutterbuck/Martin/Cizikas/Carkner/Hickey or Kaleta/Mitchell/Flynn/Weber/McBain?

Which is a better group of emerging young players, Strome/Nelson/Reinhart/Czuczman/Dehaan/Pokka/Lee/pick 5 or Gigensons/Foligno/Ristolainen/Pysyk/Zadorov/McCabe/Larsson/Grigorenko/pick 2

Tavares is an amazing player, but he is the only significant difference in that mix.

Take him out and I think Buffalo is better.

Good post. I agree. Another point i would add is:

Who can we expect to sign with the Islanders this offseason?

They will almost certainly get some free agents, but anyone worth noting is probably going to have an offer that is comparable or better in another city, even if its only better because of the condition of the team.

I'll never understand why so many people say "first overall" when they mean "first round".

On a side note, I love that avatar. That one should be housed in the Sabrespace hall of fame. Just an outstanding job.

Really living up to your user-name huh?

:P

See, I told you all I'm a glass half full kind a guy :rolleyes:

The last time our goaltender won the Vezina we won our division. I don't see how you can use Miller's Vezina season in the context of this year and hope to prove a point.

I never said he played this year like he did in 2010. I used the vezina to show people like you a once world class goalie doesn't necessarily gain your team 15 pts in the standings. Understand?

Leaving aside your unusual capitalization habits, let's look at the facts:

After the Miller/Ott trade, the Sabres won 3 of their last 22 games.

In the 33 games prior to the trade, the Sabres were 12-21-7 -- i.e. 31 points in 33 games, which projects to 80 points over a full season. That would've been good for #24 in the NHL last year.

You make a valid point about them not having Ott and Miller next year (although re-signing Ott is a possibility). My point about trading them is that the team suffered a major stomach punch by losing its 2 biggest leaders. The run for the bus was on. Next year, new leaders will emerge. Whatever trades are made at the deadline won't affect the team's psyche nearly as much as the Ott/Miller trade did.

What I'm saying is we are the least skilled roster in the Nhl. We are all but guaranteed last place. Teams can lose their 2 best players to season ending injuries and still ice a better roster then us. Even teams intentionally tanking will still be ahead of us. We sold everyone of value. I don't understand how people here think we won't finish last

Edited by Naulter8

What I'm saying is we are the least skilled roster in the Nhl. We are all but guaranteed last place. Teams can lose their 2 best players to season ending injuries and still ice a better roster then us. Even teams intentionally tanking will still be ahead of us. We sold everyone of value. I don't understand how people here think we won't finish last

This is very true. We have 0 offensive zone sustainability. It's actually priceless with the up coming 15 draft. I, for one, am totally impressed with the timing of this tank. It appears as though we might have a shot at building a contender.

This is very true. We have 0 offensive zone sustainability. It's actually priceless with the up coming 15 draft. I, for one, am totally impressed with the timing of this tank. It appears as though we might have a shot at building a contender.

I'm positive Darcy was the mastermind behind it all. Slowly getting the gears in motion. It's actually pretty obvious that was his plan. The funny part is its completely legal. Unlike intentionally losing games, just ice a team that doesn't have the skill to consistently win Nhl games, while trying to properly developed prospects. Exception being Grigorenko of course. What price would you pay to have the youngest Nhl team and deepest prospect pool? If we can do it like the wings and get 20 consecutive playoff seasons, sign me up! I'll take 3 years of not being able to compete. Hell, I'd take 5 years of this ######!!!! Disagree? I hope not, the alternative was having a good team, that is just missing the playoffs each year and isn't good enough to win the cup even if the squeak into the playoffs. When you have a mediocre team you can't afford to draft 12-16 overall and expect to improve enough. You can't build around free agency either as so many think. Free agency is to put your team over the top. Even if for the free agency pool is deep for a few years straight, you wouldn't be able to afford to build a team that way

Edited by Naulter8

The thing about this tank — if it's done well — it can set us up for 10 15 years of Detroit-like contention.

Once the abundance of talent is in place, you sell off the right 24- to 30-year-olds for more picks and prospects.

Those prospects are happy to be coming to a winning organization and accept they will be left to season in the minors.

When they walk into to the dressing room, they are walking into the right atmosphere, and they, in turn, pick up the torch.

Winning helps sustain winning.

It is very possible. They just have to make the right player choices.

Because it's a typo. The brain makes associations. "First" and "overall" are associated. Therefore the two get typed next to each other accidentally.

Yay psych 101, I remember you lol

I would think first and round are more closely associated than first and overall.

OK, I know I'm in the minority on this, but I don't get this "Islanders will be picking in the teens" consensus that seems to be forming.

Pretty well all of us are in agreement the Sabres will be really bad next year.

Other than Tavares, what makes the Islanders so much better?

Who's more likely to spend more money, Wang or Pegula?

Who's more likely to make smart trades, Snow or Murray?

Who's more likely to inspire his team to overachieve, Capuano or Nolan?

Who's a better goalie combo, Halak/Nilsson or Enroth/Neuvirth?

Who are better top-pairing defencemen, Visnovsky/Hamonic or Ehrhoff/Myers?

Which is a better group of front-line forwards, Grabner/Nielsen/Okposo/Bailey or Ennis/Hodgson/Stafford/Stewart?

Which is better group of support players, Clutterbuck/Martin/Cizikas/Carkner/Hickey or Kaleta/Mitchell/Flynn/Weber/McBain?

Which is a better group of emerging young players, Strome/Nelson/Reinhart/Czuczman/Dehaan/Pokka/Lee/pick 5 or Gigensons/Foligno/Ristolainen/Pysyk/Zadorov/McCabe/Larsson/Grigorenko/pick 2

Tavares is an amazing player, but he is the only significant difference in that mix.

Take him out and I think Buffalo is better.

I don't think that's the consensus at all. My estimation is there's a pretty even split right now.

For me, it's simple: the Isles' goaltending this season gave them an .894 sv%. That's absurdly, obscenely pathetic. League average was .914. I posted a tweet a few days ago that just getting league average would give them 50 fewer goals allowed if they allow the same number of shots. Fifty!!! Even if we decide to use some optimistic (from a Sabres perspective) assumptions and Halak can't uphold his career average behind that D and Okposo comes back down to Earth a little, you're still probably looking at around a +30 swing in goal differential. I know this is an overly simplistic way of looking at it, but that alone puts them in 8-10 territory in the East. They were also 19th in the league in possession, which obviously isn't good, but it's also not atrocious sure-fire top-5 pick territory either.

Also keep in mind, the Sabres were 27 points worse than the Islanders this season--that's much more of a difference than just Tavares. The Sabres could have a much more productive offseason than the Isles and take more steps to improve, and still be worse by a fair margin. And I don't expect them to make that many moves to get better, either.

Now that is some good hockey talk there boys.

TBPhd -- your position is well stated and convincing, but I do think you need to consider the data I posted earlier about how the pre-Nolan and post-deadline records last year skewed the Sabres' point total last year to an outlier-level final amount.

If the Sabres get good goaltending and don't run for the bus after the deadline this year, they could very well be just one of a half-dozen teams "vying" for 30th place. There will definitely be a number of teams that intentionally tank.

The thing about this tank — if it's done well — it can set us up for 10 15 years of Detroit-like contention.

Once the abundance of talent is in place, you sell off the right 24- to 30-year-olds for more picks and prospects.

Those prospects are happy to be coming to a winning organization and accept they will be left to season in the minors.

When they walk into to the dressing room, they are walking into the right atmosphere, and they, in turn, pick up the torch.

Winning helps sustain winning.

It is very possible. They just have to make the right player choices.

Good man.

Edited by nfreeman

Because it's a typo. The brain makes associations. "First" and "overall" are associated. Therefore the two get typed next to each other accidentally.

Yay psych 101, I remember you lol

I might buy into this if I didn't hear the mistake vs read the mistake 10:1.

Now that is some good hockey talk there boys.

TBPhd -- your position is well stated and convincing, but I do think you need to consider the data I posted earlier about how the pre-Nolan and post-deadline records last year skewed the Sabres' point total last year to an outlier-level final amount.

If the Sabres get good goaltending and don't run for the bus after the deadline this year, they could very well be just one of a half-dozen teams "vying" for 30th place. There will definitely be a number of teams that intentionally tank.

Good man.

I think the Sabres absolutely did underpeform under Rolston, but I also think the 500 hockey Nolan had them playing for a stretch was over performing. So in my view those stretches sort of balance out. After the trade deadline I think is pretty representative of the talent level I expect to see on the ice next year, although I don't expect there to be the mental/emotional quit there was after the deadline.

Enroth/Neuvirth certainly should be an upgrade over the Hackett/Lieuwen combo we were subjected to. My evaluation of next year stems from my expectation of what we'll do in the offseason: I don't see us signing or trading for a 30 goal scorer, no do I see us acquiring another top-6 center. If we do, I'll have to reassess. If not, we're left with a post-deadline talent level, which even with some mental and emotional energy to star the season, I don't think bodes well for winning.

I think the Sabres absolutely did underpeform under Rolston, but I also think the 500 hockey Nolan had them playing for a stretch was over performing. So in my view those stretches sort of balance out. After the trade deadline I think is pretty representative of the talent level I expect to see on the ice next year, although I don't expect there to be the mental/emotional quit there was after the deadline.

Enroth/Neuvirth certainly should be an upgrade over the Hackett/Lieuwen combo we were subjected to. My evaluation of next year stems from my expectation of what we'll do in the offseason: I don't see us signing or trading for a 30 goal scorer, no do I see us acquiring another top-6 center. If we do, I'll have to reassess. If not, we're left with a post-deadline talent level, which even with some mental and emotional energy to star the season, I don't think bodes well for winning.

So just curious and I won't hold you to it, what would you say the Sabres point total next year should be? I am guessing 60's.

So just curious and I won't hold you to it, what would you say the Sabres point total next year should be? I am guessing 60's.

I would just like to see them score 200 goals.

157 goals last season. Urgh. Nothing has happened yet that makes me optimistic that this number will improve.

157 goals in 82 games. about 1.9 a game.

200 goals in 82 games about 2.4 a game.

Sabres have to be half a goal better a game just to catch up to last years 29th scoring team.

The Sabres in other words can improve dramatically and still be last.

Completely off the cuff I'd say mid-60s sounds right. Plenty bad to be worst in the league while still being better than last year.

With goals scored insanely low last season and with the only real goal scorers traded away and without much hope for improving on the goals scored next season and with pretty unproven goalies ... I can actually see the goals scored being lower next season ... few goals scored = fewer wins = fewer points.

I will say for the record, I think the points total realistically could be lower next season than this past season.

We all should put on our tank driving helmets and strap ourselves in. Next season will be long one (and no, I don't think the Sabres will be playing NHL hockey in May 2015).

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

I would just like to see them score 200 goals.

157 goals last season. Urgh. Nothing has happened yet that makes me optimistic that this number will improve.

157 goals in 82 games. about 1.9 a game.

200 goals in 82 games about 2.4 a game.

Sabres have to be half a goal better a game just to catch up to last years 29th scoring team.

The Sabres in other words can improve dramatically and still be last.

You have left out one very important factor here, a certain winger will be entering a contract year. I fulling expect the 16 goals he scored last season to jump up into the 30's this year.

Not to mention the Leino Factor. Is there much doubt that Leino will have a huge bounce back year scoring 20-25 goals? Not enough to push this team into the playoffs, just enough to ruin everyone's hopes and dreams.

You have left out one very important factor here, a certain winger will be entering a contract year. I fulling expect the 16 goals he scored last season to jump up into the 30's this year.

Not to mention the Leino Factor. Is there much doubt that Leino will have a huge bounce back year scoring 20-25 goals? Not enough to push this team into the playoffs, just enough to ruin everyone's hopes and dreams.

If Stafford does this we can sell him at the deadline ( again a captains trade)

@Leino: Do you really think he will be here next year?

Guest Sloth

Other than the Sabres, what team(s) will honestly go for a flat out tank? Calgary, in my opinion, is the only other team that may do it. The Flames have 5 picks in the first three rounds. They also have a new, young GM wanting to build "his" team. I understand next year's draft is believed to be the best in years, but I just do not see any other teams going for a complete tank.