Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

Thanks. I was wondering about that. 

I sat very close to Don Meehan and his cronies during the 2006 draft.

It was pretty eye-opening to see how GMs and media types went out of their way to brownnose with those guys.

Another eye-opener was freshly drafted Phil Kessel sitting just behind me thumbing through a stack of hockey cards.

It's so easy to forget how young these guys are.

Are we the only team that does the white jerseys for the draftees? Maybe I'm just throwing at a wall here, but maybe the brass recognizes we want a jersey change, and the whites at least look more like the originals.

Any interesting undrafted talents?

I haven't spent any time on it, but I did notice that Tim McGauley and Trevor Cox were not selected.  Though I could easily miss that someone signed them last year. Eliteprospects does a real good job telling you if someone was drafted, but it's hard to tell if someone was signed as a free agent.

In regards to Cox, the Medicine Hat Tigers were pretty good last year, yet only have one prospect I see (a St Louis defenseman).  At the other extreme are the Saint John Sea Dogs, Craig Button, for instance, has almost the entire team on his ranking, yet they are not very good.

I still can't believe Boston in the first round.  They could have walked away with Zboril, Barzal, Connor. Instead they took Senshyn who was not even close to 1st round material and Debrusk who was on the edge of the 1st.  I'm calling it now, Boston is about to start a fast decent into mediocrity.  

I still can't believe Boston in the first round.  They could have walked away with Zboril, Barzal, Connor. Instead they took Senshyn who was not even close to 1st round material and Debrusk who was on the edge of the 1st.  I'm calling it now, Boston is about to start 1 season into a fast decent into mediocrity.

Fixed it for you. ;)

Fixed it for you. ;)

I think you are right.  That team is like LA Kings east with less talent.  Chara is aging rapidly.  Rask keeps them relevant along with Bergeron but after that,  :sick: .  Better hope Pastrnak continues doing his thing.  I hate 4 of their top 6 picks.  Just barftastic, glad I get to drink the Murray kool-aid right now.

Are we the only team that does the white jerseys for the draftees? Maybe I'm just throwing ###### at a wall here, but maybe the brass recognizes we want a jersey change, and the whites at least look more like the originals.

The brass know that the fans consider the white version as the home sweater; even if the team can't wear it at home.

Request, not an assignment.

If you're so inclined, I'd love to hear a bit about how, and where, many of you follow these prospects. I'm a "Google and YouTube" guy after reading the names you mention or the ranking lists at different sites.

Some of you, though, are seeing games and making notes. Very cool stuff. If you're so inclined.

Edited by Neo

I'm finally watching the draft on DVR... Will leave some notes in this post as I watch (only watching a few).

Good job by Peter Chiarelli to thank the city... "Of Florida."

Wow, Eichel looked legitimately annoyed once McDavid's name was announced. I like that in him. He knew. Everybody knew. Maybe he just has resting bitch face, but it looked like more than that.

I still get nervous every time I hear Jack's dad's accent.

Watching Bettman announce the O'Reilly trade as the Sabres brass walks off the stage was kind of funny/awkward. But no league does the draft better. Let the team tell the kid he is being picked by them (other leagues have the commish do it). Announcing the trades at the podium even if they're not the pick that's on the clock is awesome. The NBA is the WORST. They don't announce trades until the last selection dealt in the deal is picked... So players have to do the media rounds wearing the gear or a team they'll never play for. So damn stupid.

Edited by Hoss

I'm finally watching the draft on DVR... Will leave some notes in this post as I watch (only watching a few).

Wow, Eichel looked legitimately annoyed once McDavid's name was announced. I like that in him. He knew. Everybody knew. Maybe he just has resting bitch face, but it looked like more than that.

I honestly and truly believe that Eichel believes he was the best player in the draft--I don't think he was telling teams that for show.

I honestly and truly believe that Eichel believes he was the best player in the draft--I don't think he was telling teams that for show.

I agree. Jack Eichel thinks of himself as the best player at his age because he has always been the best at his age.  I also think Jack is secretly thrilled to be in Buffalo as opposed to the real hockey Siberia, Edmonton.  Hockey hell is Arizona.  

Absolutely. And, hopefully, that chip on his shoulder never goes away. A guy with this much talent playing with a chip on his shoulder is a fantastic thing.

At least I can take consolation in Boston's epic failure.  I work with a couple Bruins fans and can barley tolerate their deflategate denials.  This will give me plenty of ammo tomorrow at work.

Sports Illustrated gives us an A+.  http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/06/28/nhl-draft-eastern-conference-grades

Unfortunately, the next two teams with the best grades are Toronto and Philly.  Stupid a-holes.

Meh. When Toronto gets some centers I'll start to care about them. And no, I don't put much stock in them claiming Marner is an NHL center.

Meh. When Toronto gets some centers I'll start to care about them. And no, I don't put much stock in them claiming Marner is an NHL center.

Marner was the right choice at #4 though.  I think he will be a Patty Kane type winger in 2-3 years but they do have a serious lack of center depth.

Sports Illustrated gives us an A+.  http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/06/28/nhl-draft-eastern-conference-grades

Unfortunately, the next two teams with the best grades are Toronto and Philly.  Stupid a-holes.

I was really impressed with the value Winnipeg and Columbus got in this draft. 

Winnipeg got an entire line in the first and second, and Columbus drafted beasts in Werenski, Carlson and Bittner 

Marner was the right choice at #4 though.  I think he will be a Patty Kane type winger in 2-3 years but they do have a serious lack of center depth.

I totally agree he was the right choice. He's just not a center at the NHL level. Their best center in the entire organization is Nazem Kadri. They're basically where the Sabres were when Cody Hodgson was our #1.

I still get nervous every time I hear Jack's dad's accent.

Watching Bettman announce the O'Reilly trade as the Sabres brass walks off the stage was kind of funny/awkward. But no league does the draft better. Let the team tell the kid he is being picked by them (other leagues have the commish do it). Announcing the trades at the podium even if they're not the pick that's on the clock is awesome. The NBA is the WORST. They don't announce trades until the last selection dealt in the deal is picked... So players have to do the media rounds wearing the gear or a team they'll never play for. So damn stupid.

I think we know that Florida is basically one redneck city from the panhandle down to--almost--the , Miami.

I totally agree he was the right choice. He's just not a center at the NHL level. Their best center in the entire organization is Nazem Kadri. They're basically where the Sabres were when Cody Hodgson was our #1.

Great point.  Also those were dark dark dark days.  

They do have William Nylander in their pool but yea they need to turn Kessel and Phaneuf into at least a couple quality center prospects

Great point.  Also those were dark dark dark days.  

They do have William Nylander in their pool but yea they need to turn Kessel and Phaneuf into at least a couple quality center prospects

I love Nylander as a prospect...but again, he's a winger at the NHL level. I think playing either of them at center would be like when Chicago experimented with Kane there to failure.

I love Nylander as a prospect...but again, he's a winger at the NHL level. I think playing either of them at center would be like when Chicago experimented with Kane there to failure.

hmm definitely something to keep and eye on. Good news is we get to kick their ass and bostons ass for the next decade.