World Cup 2014

Sabres Fan in NS

So, the World Cup starts in 25 days.

This may be a bit early to start the discussion, but I have a bit of time on my hands right now.

Teams are starting to name their players, with final rosters to be announced in about two weeks. There have been a few surprises.

Who will win?

Will Spain once again return to glory? If so, it would mean Spain will hold Euro, WC, Euro, WC trophies in a row ... unprecedented.

Will CR7, or Messi, finally lead their countries to a championship on the worlds biggest stage?

Will Brazil take the host advantage to the championship?

Will Brazil be ready to host this event by the first kick off?

For me ... my heart says BiH will win and Džeko will score the most goals. My head says probably Brazil.

A link to the official FIFA WC 2014 web site ...

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Dude. Your choices are Brazil, Germany, Spain, and B/H? Is that a joke?

Dude. Actually, I originally had Span as one of the choices. So, thanks for the heads up and I changed that.

No joke ... BiH will win.

See "other" choice in the poll questions.

My own amateur opinion:

There will be tremendous pressure on Brazil: anything less than world cup champions will be seen as a failure. I don't think the team has the leadership, character, and composure to deal with that pressure, so I predict a loss in the quarterfinals or semifinals. I am probably wrong, but that is my hunch.

Spain will be tough, but I think their time has passed. Their core is four years older, with some (Pujols) retired. I think they too will lose in the quarters or semifinals.

Germany will be very tough. They are my pick to win it all. They have an excellent coach, and a veteran core. However, they do have injury questions (Lahm, Sweinsteiger, etc.). If the injuries are an issue, it could prevent them from even advancing out of the group stage. They are in a very tough group.

My dark horse team? France. They went home with their tails between their legs in 2010. They are talented and hungry.

Second dark horse? Argentina. They are talented and due.

So, my choices: #1 Germany, #2 France, #3 Argentina, #4 Brazil

Nice, glad you started this thread NS. :thumbsup:

Well, USA drew the Pool of Death this year, so there's likely no hope for them. Plus, With Jergen leaving Donovan off the roster for, what I've heard is personal issues with him, the USA will be missing their best leader, their most timely goal scorer, all on the biggest stage. Not a great combination :doh:

My family history is almost entirely made up of German decent, so I always root for them as a viable option to win. I like their odds this year, as does everyone else it looks like.

My own amateur opinion:

There will be tremendous pressure on Brazil: anything less than world cup champions will be seen as a failure. I don't think the team has the leadership, character, and composure to deal with that pressure, so I predict a loss in the quarterfinals or semifinals. I am probably wrong, but that is my hunch.

Spain will be tough, but I think their time has passed. Their core is four years older, with some (Pujols) retired. I think they too will lose in the quarters or semifinals.

Germany will be very tough. They are my pick to win it all. They have an excellent coach, and a veteran core. However, they do have injury questions (Lahm, Sweinsteiger, etc.). If the injuries are an issue, it could prevent them from even advancing out of the group stage. They are in a very tough group.

My dark horse team? France. They went home with their tails between their legs in 2010. They are talented and hungry.

Second dark horse? Argentina. They are talented and due.

So, my choices: #1 Germany, #2 France, #3 Argentina, #4 Brazil

Germany has alot of injuries, Neuer one of the best goalies in the world won't make it, no Mario gomez who has been their go to man in the attack for several years.

Also no Schweinsteiger and possibly without their best defenseman lahm. Ghana and Portugal might upset them in the group stages , and if they do make it Russia or Belgium might await them.

As for France there are teams with alot more talent and they are just lazy , they have no spirit to play for their country.

My top 3 is Spain, Brazil, Argentina ( messi is not in shape but team will do well regardless).

After that Germany, Russia, Ghana,Colombia, ( with falcao, currently still recovering from knee injury) and Portugal our my outsiders.

Dark horse is Ghana for me, clearly the best african team.

As for Belgium, we have good players, but the friendlies against Japan and Colombia dented my confidence, they don't have any experience on World cup stage.

And with Christian Benteke out, allthough he isn't an attacker that is known for his goal scoring, but allows our midfield to do so, I think we'll have a rough time scoring goals.

Edited by Heimdall

Surprised the Landon Donovan snub isn't getting some traction on here. Right decision?

See 11's post. I agree with him.

Wrong move.

The only thing I can think of is that it's a move to prevent some embarrassment for Landon in the twilight of his International career. It is very unlikely that the US will escape the Group of Death.

Ok, I'm one of those people find soccer very boring, but, being the world cup, I'll watch it again. I don't have my hopes up, but maybe I'll find it enjoyable? The problem is, I'm not a fan that is going to get really into it. I will be a casual viewer....I think soccer as a sport lends itself better to the more hard-core fan.

Ok, I'm one of those people find soccer very boring, but, being the world cup, I'll watch it again. I don't have my hopes up, but maybe I'll find it enjoyable? The problem is, I'm not a fan that is going to get really into it. I will be a casual viewer....I think soccer as a sport lends itself better to the more hard-core fan.

I watch it during the big events, but for the life of me I can't see why fans are so fervent about it. It's like watching golf with loud crowds.

I feel the same about the nfl, i just fall asleep during any game i tried watching.

Guest Sloth

I can't imagine finding NFL football even mildly interesting if you didn't grow up with it.

The NFL isn't as popular in the south as it is in the north. When it comes to college football, there is a complete 180.

The NFL isn't as popular in the south as it is in the north. When it comes to college football, there is a complete 180.

I should have just said "American football" or "gridiron football" in my post; I think it's the same thing to non-Americans.

I'm beginning to find college football boring. It now has nearly as many stoppages as the pro game, it has controversy everywhere, there are usually only one or two nationally televised games each weekend that are interesting, etc.