2014-2015 Roster

Stads

I'm shocked you think I'm arguing pure random variation. Shocked.

Can we agree luck is pure random variation?

If so, were you not arguing that luck was a major factor?

If not, I apologize for not seeing that you had already agreed with me :)

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

But can you really point to luck when guys do it over and over for a decade? The gambling analogy is perfect. Poker involves a fair amount of luck, but it's not the same 12 guys at the final table of the WSOP events because they are simply more lucky. They're there because they make choices to set up their own luck.

Was it really a decade of superior drafting or just landing 4-5 studs and supplementing the roster with role players?

After tonights game I think we have to seriously consider the idea that Grigo may make the cut. Would make things interesting if he can do it.

Moulson Ennis Stafford

Hodgson Grigo Stewart

Foligno Girgs Gionta

Desalaurier McC Kaleta

Flynn ???

I could see desaluarier and foligno swapping roles.

Edited by weave

After tonights game I think we have to seriously consider the idea that Grigo may make the cut. Would make things interesting if he can do it.

Moulson Ennis Stafford

Hodgson Grigo Stewart

Foligno Grigs Gionta

Desalaurier McC Kaleta

Flynn ???

Deslaurier has looked much better in Foligno's role than Foligno has.

Moulson Ennis Stafford

Hodgson Grigo Stewart

Foligno Grigs Gionta

Desalaurier McC Kaleta

Flynn ???

I think Mitchell has the inside track on ???, particularly after Kaleta and Larsson getting hurt tonight.

Moulson Ennis Stafford

Hodgson Grigo Stewart

Foligno Grigs Gionta

Desalaurier McC Kaleta

Flynn ???

dear god our future Russian star will be centering two lines!?

i kid i kid

Hodgson Grigo Stewart

I think this line needs to see some more pre-season games. There was some chemistry there...I think it surprised the spring chickens Grigorenko and Hodgson, and they were only getting the feel for it by the end of the game.

Deslaurier has looked much better in Foligno's role than Foligno has.

That is a keen observation. Perhaps the most keenest of observations tonight (only because I've been pretty high on Grigorenko since I saw him at the summer camp thing). You are King Keen for the day.

Hard to disagree. Foligno's luster is losing its shine. He's looking more and more like an AHLer

Fixed that for you.

Edited by sizzlemeister

anyone else hoping the Sabres sign Stewart to an extension - even if we could turn him into a non-lottery 2015 draft pick?

Not really. He's super inconsistent. He'll probably perform in a contract year and then disappoint beyond. He was called the most inconsistent player in the league when we landed him -- moreso than Drew Stafford.

anyone else hoping the Sabres sign Stewart to an extension - even if we could turn him into a non-lottery 2015 draft pick?

I think it is okay to take a wait and see with Stewart. The payoff could be huge. He's about to turn 27. If he hits his stride, I think he could be a consistent 20-25 goal scorer. This is a new start for him. I'm willing to watch him have a crack at it.

If we kept either of them I'd choose Stewart over Stafford since he has more edge to his game but in a perfect world we can get a 1st round pick for each of them at the deadline as long as it doesn't become a total buyers market like last year. My fear is that nobody is willing to pony up for rentals because of the strength of this year's draft. I guess we'll see.

So who stays and who goes back down on defense? Risto stays? McCabe? Pysyk? I think Pysyk would have made this squad if it wasn't for the injury. But the door is open for McCabe now or do they still send him down and log up alot of ice in Rochester? Risto I believe stays as he's look solid since development camp. Me personally I would like to see McCabe and Pysyk both on the team and them move Weber.

If we kept either of them I'd choose Stewart over Stafford since he has more edge to his game but in a perfect world we can get a 1st round pick for each of them at the deadline as long as it doesn't become a total buyers market like last year. My fear is that nobody is willing to pony up for rentals because of the strength of this year's draft. I guess we'll see.

Both have shown they can put in 20-30 goals a year. It should be real interesting what Murray has planned. And like most analyst think is that Murray wants his players that he selected or traded for here. I still think one gets moved. I'm guessing it's going to be that Murray doesn't want to pay as much as one of those players wants.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

I think it is okay to take a wait and see with Stewart. The payoff could be huge. He's about to turn 27. If he hits his stride, I think he could be a consistent 20-25 goal scorer. This is a new start for him. I'm willing to watch him have a crack at it.

I feel like the offseason game has completely changed with this team now. If Stewart does return to form this season, I won't ignore the possibility that we could move him at the deadline and then bring him back in free agency. Having done that with both Moulson and McCormick, it's a weapon in Murray's arsenal. If he does play well, he may very well want to stick with the place where he figured it out. It's not like we're strapped for cap space.

My roster thoughts a week before the season starts....

- Reinhart has shown very little against his peers in the rookie camp and the Traverse City Tournament, and against the big boys in training camp. That being said, I think he gets his 9 games, hopefully with top 6 players including PP time. If he shows little, I am torn between playing him sheltered minutes the rest of the season as a Sabre or sending him back to the WHL.

- Grigs has shown improvement, but while Reinhart is getting his 9 game tryout, I'd love to see Grigs go to the AHL, tear it up, and either get called up if Reihnhart gets sent back or as the first injury callup.

- Stewart has been impressive in the preseason, but we've all seen inconsistent players in the past become really good in contract years. Be careful TM, be very very careful.

- I like Larsson a lot as a 3rd line player. Too bad about the concussion symptoms. I think he was going to make the team.

- Hodgson, Ennis, Stafford, Stewart, Gionta, Moulson, Girgensons in the top 9. That leaves two spots, plus 3 more on the 4th line. I don't have any idea how this plays out.

- This may be Foligno's last chance to show he belongs as anything more than a 4th line grinder.

- I still think goaltending could be a train wreck this year.

- Risto stays, Zadorov back to juniors and McCabe starts the year in Rochester. That leaves your top 7 as Risto, Gorges, Myers, Weber, Ruhwedel, Meszaros & Benoit. This group could be a surprise, or could be below average.

Things I would love to see this season...

- Girgensons takes a big step up offensively.

- Armia and Grigorenko both show they can DOMINATE at the AHL level.

- Reinhart is a pleasant surprise, stays with the big club and puts up 30-35 points.

- Myers reverse his career downward spiral, and looks like a top 4 blueliner once again.

- Hodgson transition to wing proves to be a good move.

- TANK...I won't be cheering for the Sabres to lose, but won't be disappointed if they do so.

Chris Ryndak@ChrisRyndak 1m1 minute ago
    Ellis and Bagnall must clear waivers. #sabres
    Expand

WGR 550 retweeted

D6VbWy6t_bigger.jpegChris Ryndak@ChrisRyndak 2m2 minutes ago
    #Sabres assign Armia, Ellis, Schaller, Bagnall, Petrecki, Lieuwen and Makarov to Amerks.. http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=732414 …

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.