Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

Anyone who met me knows I'm a big dude with feet to match. Size 16 EEE. Fortunately Bauer makes a size 15 boot that fits me. I have a pair of X40's for skating out. But normally I play goalie and they don't make goalie skates in my size. So I play in an old pair of Bauer 1000's when I'm in net. Because I'm on regular skaters blades I've had to develop a different style in goal. But it works for me. It also gave me some pretty strong ankles since I have to move side to side, up and down, etc in a small space.

PTR

Anyone who met me knows I'm a big dude with feet to match. Size 16 EEE. Fortunately Bauer makes a size 15 boot that fits me. I have a pair of X40's for skating out. But normally I play goalie and they don't make goalie skates in my size. So I play in an old pair of Bauer 1000's when I'm in net. Because I'm on regular skaters blades I've had to develop a different style in goal. But it works for me. It also gave me some pretty strong ankles since I have to move side to side, up and down, etc in a small space.

PTR

You wanna take Enroth's job with that kinda height? :P

All this talk makes me want to be a goalie. I'm roughly Enroth sized and can do the splits, does that help? D4rk's pads actually fit me because we have the same length legs. If it ever gets/stays cold enough here I'm hoping to learn some basics on the pond. Pretty awesome reading this thread and picking up some advice on playing.

This thread is depressing me thoroughly!! My league ended 2 Sundays ago (Championship #2!) And this session that began last night, I have to sit out because my hockey budget is going to my gun and tools collection! Sucks big time! I hate taking sessions off. 3 months without playing competitively really gets to me. Especially because 90% of the guys I play with are a blast to hang out with. (The other 10%....you know the type. The guys who thing the scouts are in the stands.)

Beer league kicks ass.

Hockey by me is ludicrously expensive, but we pay it, because ###### not playing hockey. I just paid $420 for 14 games ($30/game avg), and that's one of the cheaper leagues.

Where are you at? I hate that it is this much because I want to play but I cant afford it. My dad played in a bar league in Fredonia and he only paid like 125. That included a jersey! They did have bar sponsors but still! That is affordable.

Hockey by me is ludicrously expensive, but we pay it, because ###### not playing hockey. I just paid $420 for 14 games ($30/game avg), and that's one of the cheaper leagues.

Anywhere from $330 to $360 for a 14-16 game season in NH. But goalies are free! (That's why I play goalie.) Being a "sub" on a per game basis is $20. Pick up games are $7 - $15.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

LA.

I miss playing in Madison, where playing outside was free, pickup was like $5 for two hours, and leagues were about $120-140 for like 25 games.

Yep they are only three rinks within 2 hours of me. Actually a guy died last week playing in the league near me as well. Collapsed on the ice.

The money is just way way too much. Especially since free skate is the same pricing as in and around Buffalo.... I dont get it.

$235 for 10 regular season games. Then playoffs with all 8 teams getting in. And we play on pro ice. Very affordable.

That is nice

We are paying $18.50/game this session. I think it was $225 or something for a 12 game season and if we don't suck bad enough we get 1-2 playoff games.

Skates have to be part of your body. If they are anything but you are screwed. Bad fit, bad support, and you'll quickly hate hockey and you'll screw your foot health.

I wish I could get a slightly better pair but the one's I have now work for me.

Just dreamin' here, cuz I don't think I'm ready to play hockey in any sense of the word, unless it's some kind of true beginners league with a healthy dose of instruction thrown in.

But what are we talking in terms of equipment? Is used OK at first? A friend of mine who has played hockey for many years says buy new, and it sounds like everything would be somewhat north of $500.

Pants (advised to get the girdle/shell), shin pads, shoulder pads, elbow pads, gloves, socks, helmet, stick. Missing anything?

Just dreamin' here, cuz I don't think I'm ready to play hockey in any sense of the word, unless it's some kind of true beginners league with a healthy dose of instruction thrown in.

But what are we talking in terms of equipment? Is used OK at first? A friend of mine who has played hockey for many years says buy new, and it sounds like everything would be somewhat north of $500.

Pants (advised to get the girdle/shell), shin pads, shoulder pads, elbow pads, gloves, socks, helmet, stick. Missing anything?

i would say used is ok the first couple times (depending how used is used). But once you know you enjoy it you should get new stuff. The only things i would never recommend used would be skates

Tape.

Since you are just starting out, make sure you get really good elbow pads that fit really well. You will be falling, a lot,… you just will, and there is nothing worse than breaking your fall with your elbows, only to have them hit directly on the ice because your crappy pads have turned, leaving a nice big bubble bruise that you keep bumping into things the rest of the week.

Www.hockeymonkey.com

Check it out and price it for yourself. You're also going to need a practice jersey. And a cup! Don't forget the cup!

I love that site!

Edited by ubkev

Www.hockeymonkey.com

Check it out and price it for yourself. You're also going to need a practice jersey. And a cup! Don't forget the cup!

I love that site!

Leave it to a Sabres fan to forget the Cup. Oh, burn.

Dumb question: I would want a helmet with a cage, right? I'm about to start Invisalign or something like it and I'd hate to mess up my straight (and expensive) teeth somewhere along the line. And does the cage make a mouth guard unnecessary?

Tape.

Since you are just starting out, make sure you get really good elbow pads that fit really well. You will be falling, a lot,… you just will, and there is nothing worse than breaking your fall with your elbows, only to have them hit directly on the ice because your crappy pads have turned, leaving a nice big bubble bruise that you keep bumping into things the rest of the week.

And I would say more important than elbow pads are a good pair of shin pads. Your knees will take a beating and you want to protect them. My Itech shins lasted a few years and now I'm wearing a fancy pair of Bauers. I spent an hour at the store putting them on and kneeling down. I wanted to make sure if I dropped on those knee pad caps that they'd actually provide some cushion.

Get some pants with good butt padding. You'll be glad you did.

Leave it to a Sabres fan to forget the Cup. Oh, burn.

Dumb question: I would want a helmet with a cage, right? I'm about to start Invisalign or something like it and I'd hate to mess up my straight (and expensive) teeth somewhere along the line. And does the cage make a mouth guard unnecessary?

Mouth guard!!?? This is hockey! You be proud of your missing teeth!!

I kid. I personally don't rock a mouth piece with the cage, and like you, i have an expensive smile. But hey, its 5 bucks, couldn't hurt.

Hekmet with a cage is acgood idea. So is the mouthguard. The mouthguard does as much to prevent concussion as it does to protect your teeth.

You are going to fall alot playing hockey. Make sure the parts that hit the ice first are well protected. Knees, ass, elbows, melon. Some folks insist on good shoulder pads. They will go along way towards protecting your shoulders during impact with the boards. But I know lots of adult league players that don't wear shoulder pads at all, or minimalist ones.

If you are going to critique hockey players it's really nice to play the game yourself, if only to gain an appreciation of what is going on. Of course beer leagues are not the NHL but hockey played hard at any level is fun and exciting. Since I play goal mostly I have more sympathy for Enroth and Miller. Less-informed people (in my opinion) blame them for goals they let in, while I look at what the 5 guys in front of them did (or didn't do) to let the other team score.

A slap shot traveling from the blue line at 90 mph reaches a goalie in around 0.45 seconds. A shot from the slot comes in at 0.15 seconds. Now imagine trying to react to a shot that emerges from a screen of players just a few feet in front of you. Consider this the next time you harp on a goalie.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

If you are going to critique hockey players it's really nice to play the game yourself, if only to gain an appreciation of what is going on. Of course beer leagues are not the NHL but hockey played hard at any level is fun and exciting. Since I play goal mostly I have more sympathy for Enroth and Miller. Less-informed people (in my opinion) blame them for goals they let in, while I look at what the 5 guys in front of them did (or didn't do) to let the other team score.

A slap shot traveling from the blue line at 90 mph reaches a goalie in around 0.45 seconds. A shot from the slot comes in at 0.15 seconds. Now imagine trying to react to a shot that emerges from a screen of players just a few feet in front of you. Consider this the next time you harp on a goalie.

PTR

I play D. Its always the goalies fault!! I mean, I took away the passing lane and gave you a clear line of sight to the shooter. How do you not save that!!??

This could go in the tings that are awesome thread too but I'll put it here. CCM is bringing back the Tacks! I will have these skates next season.

http://www.hockeyworldblog.com/2014/01/16/ccm-tacks-skates/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.