Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

I've been wearing the same pair of Bauer Supreme 5000's since my sophomore year of college in 2001. They're beat to hell, smell, the inside lining is all torn up, the pads on the sides of my ankle have been worn through, but I just can't get rid of them. I'm not all that good, and play about once a week (I took about 3.5 years off between 2003-2006). I was in Ottawa last year and looked at some new skates, tried a few pairs on, and couldn't believe how much nicer they were... and lighter too. But, I stuck with my old 5000's and will be wearing them again tonight at 9:15.

I will admit though... reading this thread has me itching for some new skates.

Do it. You won't regret it.

I've been wearing the same pair of Bauer Supreme 5000's since my sophomore year of college in 2001. They're beat to hell, smell, the inside lining is all torn up, the pads on the sides of my ankle have been worn through, but I just can't get rid of them. I'm not all that good, and play about once a week (I took about 3.5 years off between 2003-2006). I was in Ottawa last year and looked at some new skates, tried a few pairs on, and couldn't believe how much nicer they were... and lighter too. But, I stuck with my old 5000's and will be wearing them again tonight at 9:15.

I will admit though... reading this thread has me itching for some new skates.

Do it! I love my new Bauer's. Supreme TotalOne, greatest skate ever!

I've always worn Bauers, never even tried another brand. But, I have wide feet (wear a 7 EE) and am intrigued about Graf. I've heard they're wider, and my 7EE Bauer's are even a tad narrow. The newer Bauers I tried on last year were EE's, but didn't feel as wide my old ones (even the wide Vapor models are way too narrow for me). I like a tight fitting skate, but if it's too tight my arches will cramp. Anyone have any experience with Grafs? A guy on my team just got a pair while he was in Canada visiting family. He's been breaking them in over the past month, and last night was the first game he wore them. He's by far and away the best skater on our team, and he busted his ass twice and looked really unsteady. I suppose there's a different rocker/angle to get used to?

I've always worn Bauers, never even tried another brand. But, I have wide feet (wear a 7 EE) and am intrigued about Graf. I've heard they're wider, and my 7EE Bauer's are even a tad narrow. The newer Bauers I tried on last year were EE's, but didn't feel as wide my old ones (even the wide Vapor models are way too narrow for me). I like a tight fitting skate, but if it's too tight my arches will cramp. Anyone have any experience with Grafs? A guy on my team just got a pair while he was in Canada visiting family. He's been breaking them in over the past month, and last night was the first game he wore them. He's by far and away the best skater on our team, and he busted his ass twice and looked really unsteady. I suppose there's a different rocker/angle to get used to?

The rise of the holder and the rocker point are things an experienced skater should know, as well as what radius they want. Perhaps the place he got them at put a different radius on them? I've seen that mess guys up until they realize what happened.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've "skated" seven times in all. Yep, still putting asterisks around it. But in fits and starts, I'm starting to feel like I'm doing a few things right. I "skated" today for 90 minutes and fell only once. I am swizzling pretty well and taking some decent-feeling strides. I can whip around pretty good pushing off with just my right skate, but the left is a challenge. I can sort of stop, but can only go backwards a few feet, if that. It's really challenging and really fun.

Any good drills for beginners?

Also, how do I know when to get the skates sharpened? I don't see any nicks yet. Beyond wiping off the blades, anything else I should be doing to take care of the skates?

So I've "skated" seven times in all. Yep, still putting asterisks around it. But in fits and starts, I'm starting to feel like I'm doing a few things right. I "skated" today for 90 minutes and fell only once. I am swizzling pretty well and taking some decent-feeling strides. I can whip around pretty good pushing off with just my right skate, but the left is a challenge. I can sort of stop, but can only go backwards a few feet, if that. It's really challenging and really fun.

Also, how do I know when to get the skates sharpened? I don't see any nicks yet. Beyond wiping off the blades, anything else I should be doing to take care of the skates?

As long as they were sharpened before you began skating, I usually go til I start losing my edge.

Drills include skating in circles on a face off circle while doing cross overs. Balancing on one foot while gliding on the other. If you really feel adverturesome, trying lifting your off ice skate leg up and moving it back and forth so you are doing one leg swizzles.

Another good drill is gliding on one leg, jumping up and landing on your other foot as you are gliding... It is all about finding your edges.

Just wipe em off and keep em dry. You probably have a lot of time left on the current sharpening. Unless you're crashing into the boards, other skates, and the goal posts, you shouldn't need them sharpened again for quite a while.

One thing you'll learn about when sharpening skates is the "hollow" of the blade. Think of the piece of steel having a semi circle cut into it making an edge out of each flat length of the blade sides. As a new skater a shallower hollow, 5/8 inch or larger, will give you less sharp blades and make it easier to learn things like stopping without catching the blade because it's too sharp. Goalies use a shallow hollow because they spend a lot of time shuffling sideways on the ice. Skaters will use a deeper hollow, 1/2" or 7/16" for most adults.

So what I'm saying is it's not a bad thing to let your blades be a little dull when you're learning. And ask what hollow the shop puts on your skates when you get them sharpened and write it down, that way if you find something you prefer you can ask for it in the future. If they cut them too sharp, then you'll know to ask for the next size up. If they're not sharp enough you can ask for a deeper hollow.

• 3 weeks later...

I may be skating, no asterisks! Seems like I'm getting some good muscle memory. If feels "right" more than not. It feels best when I get into a lower position with my knees bent more. Definitely look out of place among the casual skaters, but whatever. I can swizzle backwards for maybe 20 feet; that's come in the last week. That's the only time I fall now. I feel like I can skate forever. I've done two hours the last two times out. The weight is really coming off. Great fun and great exercise.

I still can't stop in any sense of the word.

Any other new skaters out there?

I may be skating, no asterisks! Seems like I'm getting some good muscle memory. If feels "right" more than not. It feels best when I get into a lower position with my knees bent more. Definitely look out of place among the casual skaters, but whatever. I can swizzle backwards for maybe 20 feet; that's come in the last week. That's the only time I fall now. I feel like I can skate forever. I've done two hours the last two times out. The weight is really coming off. Great fun and great exercise.

I'm glad to hear you're progressing! It's always nice to file another person under the ranks of "humans who choose to walk on ice with knife shoes because it's fun".

A very good drill for a beginner is simply working "c cuts." You'll know you're doing 'em right when the ice "crunches" at the transition point.

Glad to hear you're actually skating. Now we just have to get you in a league. Then you'll know what legs feel like when you can't actually feel them.

Keep at it, stopping comes when the fear of falling/getting hurt/looking like a putz goes away.

• 2 weeks later...

Question. When a beginning skater gets his skates sharpened for the first time, is it common to have people surrounding him, looking down, asking if there's anyone they can call?

What a shitshow. I fell hard on my coccyx 30 seconds onto the ice and then proceeded to regress to approximately the third time I ever skated. Fear set in, and I lost my twinkle, Jerry.

Question. When a beginning skater gets his skates sharpened for the first time, is it common to have people surrounding him, looking down, asking if there's anyone they can call?

What a shitshow. I fell hard on my coccyx 30 seconds onto the ice and then proceeded to regress to approximately the third time I ever skated. Fear set in, and I lost my twinkle, Jerry.

Too sharp?

My local rink. I wasn't about to jump down anyone's throat. I just thought it was normal.

Considering your skates shouldn't have had enough wear yet to really need a sharpening, I'll say it definitely not normal. Did you ask for a specific hollow or anything? I would take them back and make sure they didn't do something stupid like give you a 1" goalie cut or something.

Anyway, I think ubkev had a good comment about fear. It's a huge thing to overcome for adult beginners. I got over it pretty quickly after not falling for many sessions in a row. But it's harder to overcome that fear when starting to skate backwards, or trying the hockey stop.

All part of the process, I suppose.

I'll take the skates in on Friday. It's not a pro shop or anything, just the parks people who run the rink.

The other possibility is that my legs were tired after skating on Saturday and Sunday and trail walking in fairly heavy snow yesterday and today. After the fall, everything else might have all been in my mind.

When I feel the edges of the skates, something does appear to be off though. I really don't know what I'm feeling for, however.

Edited by PASabreFan

Anyway, I think ubkev had a good comment about fear. It's a huge thing to overcome for adult beginners. I got over it pretty quickly after not falling for many sessions in a row. But it's harder to overcome that fear when starting to skate backwards, or trying the hockey stop.

I'll take the skates in on Friday. It's not a pro shop or anything, just the parks people who run the rink.

The other possibility is that my legs were tired after skating on Saturday and Sunday and trail walking in fairly heavy snow yesterday and today. After the fall, everything else might have all been in my mind.

When I feel the edges of the skates, something does appear to be off though. I really don't know what I'm feeling for, however.

Read through this, try some of their checks

http://www.thebladedoctor.com/skatefacts.html

My sister's boyfriend has been skating the pond with us. He was a first time skater when he started, and he did so with a hockey stick in his hands. It's unreal how fast people progress when they're playing hockey, because the skating has to become second nature almost instantaneously.

Also, tonight was my last adult league game with my old sh*tty skates, sticks, and helmet. My dad is getting me all new stuff for Christmas.

If they felt right before the sharpening and now don't, it almost definitely was a bad sharpening.

That you state the edges don't seem to be there lends more credence to that belief. If they were too sharp, you'd feel it on a stop but not in normal skating.

Most places that sharpen skates realize that it's an imperfect art and will resharpen them gratis.

The holders on Graf skates are pitched forward as opposed to Bauer holders which are either neutral or slightly backward. Grafs are also more expensive than Bauers and the others. I can't speak as to the width compared to Bauer, but I would certainly get fitted as your arch height is as important as the width. Graf does sell models that are geared to the wider, higher arch feet such as the Ultra G70.

Youtube has a ton of videos with drills for beginning hockey skaters.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.