Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

I played in a adult league for a few years. Got a cheap 50 dollar pair of nike bauers, bottom of the line. They held up well but hurt by the time i was done playing the game. Upgraded to a pair of Vapor 16's, though still low-mid ranged skates, kept their edge for a good amount if time and didn't hurt (about 150).

I have a related question. Whenever I skate (or ski for that matter), my feet always cramp up. It's been like that since I was in high school (eons ago), and it happens even if I wear ultra thin socks. I've never had the money to buy custom made boots or skates, but actually I am willing to do that now because my growing days are long over and because thankfully I have some money to spend.

Any suggestions here? Other than buying custom, are there other things to do to make skating (or skiing) more enjoyable without cramping up the feet?

I have a related question. Whenever I skate (or ski for that matter), my feet always cramp up. It's been like that since I was in high school (eons ago), and it happens even if I wear ultra thin socks. I've never had the money to buy custom made boots or skates, but actually I am willing to do that now because my growing days are long over and because thankfully I have some money to spend.

Any suggestions here? Other than buying custom, are there other things to do to make skating (or skiing) more enjoyable without cramping up the feet?

Stay out of Lange boots on the mountain. They are the stiffest most unforgiving boots ever constructed. Almost built purely for racing. I always had to have a second pair of boots for when the races were done. Rosignol and Solomon make pretty comfy carving boots these days. Go to a private ski shop over a large chain to get fitted. Also check out the Ski Magazine buyers guide, its always good.

Hockey boots on the other hand are all stiff. That's just the way it is. Maybe go wider? Graf makes great skates, especially for wide feet.

You might be clenching your toes. I was doing it for a while and had to consciously tell myself to wiggle my toes every once in a while to relax my feet. After a while, I didn't have to tell myself anymore and they were just relaxed.

You might be clenching your toes. I was doing it for a while and had to consciously tell myself to wiggle my toes every once in a while to relax my feet. After a while, I didn't have to tell myself anymore and they were just relaxed.

this is huge with skiing. I've been a skier much more so than a skater, and it was something that was taught to me in my early days when I used to complain that my feet hurt (I've been skiing since I was 4). I have only ever used Nordica boots because of their comfort for me. ubkev is absolutely right tho, stay out of Lange unless you're racing (which it doesn't sound like you are).

oh my god i never thought about this. I'm totally guilty. No wonder I hurt by the second shift.

I get similar problems, feels like shin splints, usually when I am playing in net, not so much when i play out. I have wanted to try using those new Dr. Scholls inserts on TV to go in my skates to see if it helps

You guys are ruining the mental image I have of you playing hockey. I've been imagining really good hockey.

As I said, it all depends on your perspective. From my angle on the ice, I'm a Vezina candidate in net, from sitting in the stands watching, if I'm able to keep myself awake, I would probably get beaten routinely by the 8 year olds on the travel team that just got off the ice before me.

You guys are ruining the mental image I have of you playing hockey. I've been imagining really good hockey.

I'm in a beginner's league. There's 70 year old men with hip replacements and hockey moms who've never skated on the ice. I was thrown headfirst into intramurals last year without ever having put on gear and was having mental breakdowns about "letting the team down". I have yet to score a goal during a game. But I'm pretty good at forechecking and I've got a lot of assists.... So that means I'm awesome!

I'm in a beginner's league. There's 70 year old men with hip replacements and hockey moms who've never skated on the ice. I was thrown headfirst into intramurals last year without ever having put on gear and was having mental breakdowns about "letting the team down". I have yet to score a goal during a game. But I'm pretty good at forechecking and I've got a lot of assists.... So that means I'm awesome!

Sounds like you're Ville Leino, we're gonna run you out of town!

I've been wearing the same pair of Bauer Supreme 5000's since my sophomore year of college in 2001. They're beat to hell, smell, the inside lining is all torn up, the pads on the sides of my ankle have been worn through, but I just can't get rid of them. I'm not all that good, and play about once a week (I took about 3.5 years off between 2003-2006). I was in Ottawa last year and looked at some new skates, tried a few pairs on, and couldn't believe how much nicer they were... and lighter too. But, I stuck with my old 5000's and will be wearing them again tonight at 9:15.

I will admit though... reading this thread has me itching for some new skates.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.