Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

I realized that I was enjoying playing hockey less and less, and it was mostly (totally?) because I just couldn't see anymore. I haven't played in a year because of it and it sux. I also can't wear contacts.

Do any of you wear glasses when you play? If so, what kind? I really need to get some, and I don't care how ridiculous they look as long as they stay on and I can see.

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I realized that I was enjoying playing hockey less and less, and it was mostly (totally?) because I just couldn't see anymore. I haven't played in a year because of it and it sux. I also can't wear contacts.

Do any of you wear glasses when you play? If so, what kind? I really need to get some, and I don't care how ridiculous they look as long as they stay on and I can see.

Wearing contacts as a goalie improved my game immensely. Tried to wear glasses but contacts were just the right way to go. Glasses fogged, got sweat droplets on them. I also needed the widest viewing range possible. Might be different for you

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Wearing contacts as a goalie improved my game immensely. Tried to wear glasses but contacts were just the right way to go. Glasses fogged, got sweat droplets on them. I also needed the widest viewing range possible. Might be different for you

I need them for far and close. They say that they put one for each in each eye and that your brain figures it out. Nope. It just made so I was angry trying to see at any distance,. Plus, you need the depth perception for sports. I need progressive sports goggles.

12 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I'd guess cycling glasses may work, unless there are hockey helmet friendly glasses available.

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I need them for far and close. They say that they put one for each in each eye and that your brain figures it out. Nope. It just made so I was angry trying to see at any distance,. Plus, you need the depth perception for sports. I need progressive sports goggles.

All I needed was one level of improvement so I guess that's why it worked out for me. Didn't realize I was having trouble tracking pucks until I was just waving at them going by.

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

I gotta imagine there's prescription sporting glasses you can look into.

4 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

I mention to Ericthecomposer to contact you... he is playing now at Chelsea

Yup! He's playing D7, I play D8 but the games share the same time slots so one of these days our paths will cross. 

Also once I recover need to invite you guys up to sub in Brewster, maybe a weekend nite.. Ill let you know.. 

1 hour ago, Mustache of God said:

I gotta imagine there's prescription sporting glasses you can look into.

Yup! He's playing D7, I play D8 but the games share the same time slots so one of these days our paths will cross. 

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Guys, is there a parts fix for this someone can link me to? Chin strap is busted. I'll tape it for this week. But I'd like to be able to snap it again. USA Hockey are real ball breakers when it comes to helmet safety. Even when it's a 10¢ head.

20200901_234609.jpg

6 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Guys, is there a parts fix for this someone can link me to? Chin strap is busted. I'll tape it for this week. But I'd like to be able to snap it again. USA Hockey are real ball breakers when it comes to helmet safety. Even when it's a 10¢ head.

20200901_234609.jpg

Do you have a tailor in town?

Just now, SwampD said:

I took my skates to a shoe repair place one time and it was like $20 for a new lace eyelet. Old timey stuff is legit.

Word! Normally I'd leave it with the equipment manager, but no AHL season, and COVID means skeleton crew and no special treatment. I'll bring it to the tailor tomorrow and see if he can do it. If not I've got a $40 helmet lined up. As well as $100 pants.... cause you can never just buy one thing, right?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Word! Normally I'd leave it with the equipment manager, but no AHL season, and COVID means skeleton crew and no special treatment. I'll bring it to the tailor tomorrow and see if he can do it. If not I've got a $40 helmet lined up. As well as $100 pants.... cause you can never just buy one thing, right?

It's impossible to leave with only one thing.

I actually think the eyelet was only ten dollars, but I figured I owed at least another ten just for talking to me.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ubkev said:

20200901_234609.jpg

The parts are very cheap but you would need to drill out the old hardware with a small bit and have a setting tool for the new snap.

A hammer and a punch could set the hardware in a pinch too. Sporting goods store may have the parts.

I didn’t think of a tailor but someone who does leatherwork could do the same.

7 hours ago, French Collection said:

The parts are very cheap but you would need to drill out the old hardware with a small bit and have a setting tool for the new snap.

A hammer and a punch could set the hardware in a pinch too. Sporting goods store may have the parts.

I didn’t think of a tailor but someone who does leatherwork could do the same.

Or, scavenge the parts off an old helmet & he's back in action for no particular effort & nothing out of pocket.

Old youth hockey coach trick: when scrapping old equipment save ALL the snaps, screws, & eyelets you can.  Keep 'em in a freezer quality Zip lock baggie & they won't scatter out of your bag.  You WILL need them at some point.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Or, scavenge the parts off an old helmet & he's back in action for no particular effort & nothing out of pocket.

Old youth hockey coach trick: when scrapping old equipment save ALL the snaps, screws, & eyelets you can.  Keep 'em in a freezer quality Zip lock baggie & they won't scatter out of your bag.  You WILL need them at some point.

Zip lock also keeps hardware from rusting in my sweaty gear bag.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, French Collection said:

Zip lock also keeps hardware from rusting in my sweaty gear bag.

There is that as well.

There was a reason that "freezer quality Zip lock" was specifically referenced.  Those bags will stay shut, sealed, & non-torn longer than even their regular bags and significantly longer than the bargain sealable bags.  A hockey bag can be a brutal environment.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.