Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

They've never had any intention of Rivers playing inside, if he does win a starting job it would be as the SLB and that would probably be as a 2 down player.

Yea, I didn't see the quote about moving him outside, too, until after. But they did claim that he's a "four-down linebacker" (meaning he can play all three downs plus special teams).

Chris Williams may suck, but he's still much better than the Legursky/Brown combo.

Missed this earlier, but this post is an example of blind faith without knowing anything about the player. Brown/Legursky combo was TERRIBLE, but Williams was worse. Williams gave up the second most QB pressures per snap last season. He's legitimately one of the worst starting players in the NFL and has been for a few years. It's a good thing they will be cutting him next year so his deal is only a one-year deal because he is terrible.

Missed this earlier, but this post is an example of blind faith without knowing anything about the player. Brown/Legursky combo was TERRIBLE, but Williams was worse. Williams gave up the second most QB pressures per snap last season. He's legitimately one of the worst starting players in the NFL and has been for a few years. It's a good thing they will be cutting him next year so his deal is only a one-year deal because he is terrible.

And this is an example of your arrogance. Are there stats and analysis that back up your claim? Yes there are. But there are also as many analyst and statistics that differ. Its not blind faith, it's having a different opinion and only next season will answer who is right.

For the record I choose to believe in what Whaley and Marone have done so far. They are following the model that Pittsburgh and New England used when they built the foundation of their teams. I find it interesting that Pittsburgh has stayed true to their beliefs while New England continues to bring high end, high priced mercenaries that still haven't returned them to their Super Bowl days inspite of having a genius at Head Coach and a legend at QB

And this is an example of your arrogance. Are there stats and analysis that back up your claim? Yes there are. But there are also as many analyst and statistics that differ. Its not blind faith, it's having a different opinion and only next season will answer who is right.

For the record I choose to believe in what Whaley and Marone have done so far. They are following the model that Pittsburgh and New England used when they built the foundation of their teams. I find it interesting that Pittsburgh has stayed true to their beliefs while New England continues to bring high end, high priced mercenaries that still haven't returned them to their Super Bowl days inspite of having a genius at Head Coach and a legend at QB

I'm not sure what you're getting at with this. Is NE in some sort of bad spot?

NE has been in the Super Bowl more recently than pittsburgh. The have been in as many Super Bowls as pittsburgh in the last 7 years. They have also played in the last 3 AFC championship games. Getting there this year essentially ONLY with their legend QB and Genius Head Coach.

None of what you just said does anything to add to the point that I made. Williams is absolutely terrible.

It seems like every argument against my unpopular opinions is that "all previous evidence is irrelevant because you never know what will happen." Sure, you never know what will happen. That's why we watch. But history repeats itself, and players rarely go from completely terrible to good or very good.

It has nothing to do with arrogance. It has to do with learning about players and seeing what kind of player they are. So leave your cheap insults for something else or don't jump in.

Signing Williams would be the equivalent of signing Christian Ponder and starting him. He hasn't really shown any reason for optimism, has been one of the worst starters in recent years actually, but, hey, it fits the "model" and we trust the decision makers.

I like Whaley and Marrone. This year will be a big year for Marrone's career and show whether or not he is actually ready to coach in the NFL (as he was lost at certain times early in the season). Same for Hackett. I am not saying they are complete failures, but I am saying we don't have a whole lot of reason to be extremely faithful in them. The Williams move, if he starts, is a bad one right now. I really like the Corey Graham move, and we might have more coming in the next day or two (Spikes/Dixon).

Edited by Tankalicious

I'm not sure what you're getting at with this. Is NE in some sort of bad spot?

NE has been in the Super Bowl more recently than pittsburgh. The have been in as many Super Bowls as pittsburgh in the last 7 years. They have also played in the last 3 AFC championship games. Getting there this year essentially ONLY with their legend QB and Genius Head Coach.

Don't get me wrong, the Patriots have had a great run. However, they have swayed from the model that made them Super Bowl champions and it hasn't resulted in the same success.

By the way, Pittsburgh has won 2 bowls since New England last won.

Don't get me wrong, the Patriots have had a great run. However, they have swayed from the model that made them Super Bowl champions and it hasn't resulted in the same success.

The model, aka the Pittsburgh model, is to build from within. Draft well, have replacements in waiting. New England was good at this a decade ago but their drafting hasn't been near what it was. So now they supplement with UFA's. It rarely works. Hopefully Buffalo employs Pittsburgh's model with Whaley's roots in the Burgh. The key will be drafting. Drafting replacements for the guys that leave or have left. Perhaps last years safeties will prove their worth and become adequate replacements for Byrd.

Edited by inkman

None of what you just said does anything to add to the point that I made. Williams is absolutely terrible.

It seems like every argument against my unpopular opinions is that "all previous evidence is irrelevant because you never know what will happen." Sure, you never know what will happen. That's why we watch. But history repeats itself, and players rarely go from completely terrible to good or very good.

It has nothing to do with arrogance. It has to do with learning about players and seeing what kind of player they are. So leave your cheap insults for something else or don't jump in.

Signing Williams would be the equivalent of signing Christian Ponder and starting him. He hasn't really shown any reason for optimism, has been one of the worst starters in recent years actually, but, hey, it fits the "model" and we trust the decision makers.

I like Whaley and Marrone. This year will be a big year for Marrone's career and show whether or not he is actually ready to coach in the NFL (as he was lost at certain times early in the season). Same for Hackett. I am not saying they are complete failures, but I am saying we don't have a whole lot of reason to be extremely faithful in them. The Williams move, if he starts, is a bad one right now. I really like the Corey Graham move, and we might have more coming in the next day or two (Spikes/Dixon).

The arrogance is that you act like every knowledgeable person agrees with you that player A is terrible and those who disagree have done no research and are blindly following the team's directive. The people you choose to believe don't have a monopoly on the absolutely flawless rating system. In the last two days I have heard four"experts" agree with you on Chris Williams and three disagree. Are those three blindly following the Bills? I can find 5 Hall of Fame lineman who will tell you it's a joke that anyone who doesn't have a teams play book can judge a lineman 's play because they can't possibly know what the team was asking said player to do on a particular play.

In summary, I have no problem with your opinion, even if you don't always state it as your opinion. I will continue to challenge you when you act as if you have a monopoly on objective analysis.

By the way, my customers, clients and colleagues will tell you there is nothing cheap about my opinion and no one ever tells me where or when I can voice said opinion.

Edited by tom webster

NE has not gotten over the final hurdle, but they were 1 or 2 wins away from being Champions in each of the last 3 seasons. Far better than Pittsburgh, and very nearly as good as they were in the early oughts.

Good addition on Spikes. I just wonder who will play MLB on third down.

One year, $3.5 million is VERY surprising. Wonder if there's any chance his nasty comments about Buffalo before show that he doesn't really want to be around long.

By the way, my customers, clients and colleagues will tell you there is nothing cheap about my opinion and no one ever tells me where or when I can voice said opinion.

Who is being arrogant now?

Pro Football Focus and Football Outsiders had Williams ranked ahead of Brown and Legursky. Doesn't make him good, but he's an upgrade.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Pro Football Focus and Football Outsiders had Williams ranked ahead of Brown and Legursky. Doesn't make him good, but he's an upgrade.

Marrone being an ex offensive lineman obviously thinks he can do something with him, or they never would of picked him up. Also playing between Glenn and Wood certainly could help his game. At worst, he's an experienced lineman who can add depth on the line.

One year, $3.5 million is VERY surprising. Wonder if there's any chance his nasty comments about Buffalo before show that he doesn't really want to be around long.

It will depend on distance needed for 1st down. Obvious passing downs there's usually one 1 LB on the field/

Who is being arrogant now?

First off I was trying to be funny in response to you telling me to stop the "cheap" insults.

Second I would dispute that I was insulting anything,

Third, arrogance earned is just confidence deserved.

Marrone being an ex offensive lineman obviously thinks he can do something with him, or they never would of picked him up. Also playing between Glenn and Wood certainly could help his game. At worst, he's an experienced lineman who can add depth on the line.

Yea coaching could help: Just look at how Hughes played for us after being a 100% bust in Indy.

Kiko on obvious passing downs. If there's two LBs on the field for 3rd down, it'll be Rivers and Kiko. Spikes is a liability in coverage.

Kiko on obvious passing downs. If there's two LBs on the field for 3rd down, it'll be Rivers and Kiko. Spikes is a liability in coverage.

Most definitely. But we'll be in a tough spot on 3rd and short situations. You want to protect against the run, but if a team sees Spikes they'd just check out to a pass and get the easy pass in the middle. Obviously you could move a safety up, but then you run the risk of getting burnt over the top.

That just means teams will throw a lot on first down.