Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

Free Agency starts today our fan in NS mentioned we should make a new thread and because I agree with him, here it is!

So NFL Free-Agency starts today, here's a quick rundown of apparent interests the Bill's might have

http://www.buffalobi...26-038f899eae74

The future of Jairus Byrd is still unknown, but with him declining an initial offer it seems more likely that he would sign for more money elsewhere (although Whaley insists there is still communication going on)

My question then is what does this board think the Bill's need to upgrade in in FA as opposed to the draft? Do we target a LB now and save our pick to address another need? Are we content with keeping Aarron Williams at safety and leaving it at that? Do we get a big receiver/tight end now or draft one later?

Any thoughts?

Well we're not totally limited at $22 million in cap space, but we're not going to be able to thrown money around like the Dolphins($38 million in space) or Browns($55 million in space). That being said if we resign Byrd, who was a $6.9 million hit last year after the tag, would probably get something around $7.5-8 million if he came back to the Bills. That's not the highest in the league, which is what he reportedly may get, but a team like the Bills isn't going to do that for an injured safety (plus they didn't tag him which would have been an $8.4 million dollar hit so I assume they want a lower payment)

Here's a list of all safeties and they're cap-hits

http://www.spotrac.c...cap-hit/safety/

I agree with Tank though, I want to shore up that O-line now while we can and make sure 1)EJ doesn't miss half the season again and 2)He feels comfortable so he can develop

Draft a LB in the 1st round (Mack or Barr) and get a bigger receiver in the 2nd/3rd round. I want to see Woods offensive role sky-rocket this season so WR isn't a pressing need in my books.

More Byrd updates

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 2m

Report: Ravens expected to be "strong potential landing spot" for Jairus Byrd http://wp.me/p14QSB-9qP8

I think they should take care of their own guy and bring Byrd back into the fold.

I also think there are a lot of very good offensive linemen available and they should get at least one of them. But they'll be in the bargain market again.

I'd draft LeBron James to play power-forward in the Premier League but I think his transfer-fee would be absurd and some d-bag team like Man United might get him and forget that he can only do corner kicks with certain nike skates on and only on a one-timer from the goal-line :thumbsup:

Edited by WildCard

Last year I thought we'd have a legit shot at the playoffs, but losing Byrd and Pettine really worries me. I like getting Schwartz to replace Pettine, but Pettine was just so damn good at putting players in a position to succeed I don't think he's easily replaced, even if Schwartz is pretty good. I'm not going to vote yet because I want to see what happens in free agency and the draft. If I were in charge, I'd be doing everything possible to get Manuel some weapons and improve the offensive line. Even with losing Byrd/Pettine I think the defense will still be good enough, even if it's not spectacular. But the offense needs some serious love. EJ may still fail to become a good starter, but I hope they at least set him up with the best possible chance to develop.

Good thing we didn't tag him and trade him for a 1st :doh:

Wouldn't have gotten a first out of him, but they still could've gotten SOMETHING. I don't care if it was a fourth rounder.

They'll regret the Aaron Williams deal more than they end up regretting not topping that Byrd offer. Williams was a product of Pettine's defense. I hope that's not true, but we'll see.

Wouldn't have gotten a first out of him, but they still could've gotten SOMETHING. I don't care if it was a fourth rounder.

They'll regret the Aaron Williams deal more than they end up regretting not topping that Byrd offer. Williams was a product of Pettine's defense. I hope that's not true, but we'll see.

Well they could end up getting a 3rd in a compensatory pick just because of the deal he signed

people have to remember that contracts in Sports have to have agreements from both sides. The Bills could have tagged Byrd, but he would also have to have signed the tag, and they would have had to also find a team that would then agree to give up something for him. The Saints only had to give up money in his contract, they don't give up any picks to get him. Who knows if they would have been willing to sign him if they had to give up draft picks to the Bills in order to get him.

Well they could end up getting a 3rd in a compensatory pick just because of the deal he signed

people have to remember that contracts in Sports have to have agreements from both sides. The Bills could have tagged Byrd, but he would also have to have signed the tag, and they would have had to also find a team that would then agree to give up something for him. The Saints only had to give up money in his contract, they don't give up any picks to get him. Who knows if they would have been willing to sign him if they had to give up draft picks to the Bills in order to get him.

Good call on the compensatory pick. Makes more sense letting him walk with that in mind.

The more I think about it today, the more I realize that this team is farther away from the playoffs than it has been in a while. Manuel is terrible, the offensive line is even worse (they just signed a guy who has been one of the worst offensive starters in the league for a while now) and the defense will be a question mark.

As much as the defense improved last season you have to question what the loss of Byrd and Pettine will mean to its production.

Letting Byrd go makes not signing Levitre even more of a head scratcher. We're just stockpiling cap space for nothing. I wonder which of Dareus, Glenn, Spiller, and Gilmore will walk?

Grrr. I still think our defense can be better this year than it was last year if we add a couple quality LBers. It'll require Schwartz to have his ###### together.

Good call on the compensatory pick. Makes more sense letting him walk with that in mind.

Bills are still going to be signing people though. Can they still get a comp pick?

Bills are still going to be signing people though. Can they still get a comp pick?

Yea, but the signing of Corey Graham alone will make Byrd's comp pick not worth much. Can't justify the Byrd move even with the comp pick now since it'll be like 5th at best.

Signed Keith Rivers who is a bust out of USC. Hasn't really done anything important. Rotational at best. Will likely be the starter somehow.

Letting Byrd go makes not signing Levitre even more of a head scratcher. We're just stockpiling cap space for nothing. I wonder which of Dareus, Glenn, Spiller, and Gilmore will walk?

Grrr. I still think our defense can be better this year than it was last year if we add a couple quality LBers. It'll require Schwartz to have his ###### together.

This is the frustrating part. During the 2009 Draft the Bills selected three very good players in Wood, Levitre and Byrd and only one is still on the roster.

And then there is Maybin... :wallbash:

I get my hopes up all the time about the future of the Bills. There are bright spots in Spiller, Wood, Jackson, Glenn and half the defense. But when I sit down and really think about it I realize that this franchise is constantly separating itself even further from any chance at a Lombardi Trophy.

I just don't understand how it's humanly possible to be this consistently bad and get consistently worse. The decision making is atrocious.

The more I think about it today, the more I realize that this team is farther away from the playoffs than it has been in a while. Manuel is terrible, the offensive line is even worse (they just signed a guy who has been one of the worst offensive starters in the league for a while now) and the defense will be a question mark.

As much as the defense improved last season you have to question what the loss of Byrd and Pettine will mean to its production.

You can keep stating your opinion of Manuel as fact but it still doesn't make it true Don't know you are wrong, just know its way too early. And before Pettine was the hot coordinator, Schwartz was even more so.

On the other hand, good thing you decided against betting on Glennon being better unless you think he will progress sitting behind McCown.

You can keep stating your opinion of Manuel as fact but it still doesn't make it true Don't know you are wrong, just know its way too early. And before Pettine was the hot coordinator, Schwartz was even more so.

On the other hand, good thing you decided against betting on Glennon being better unless you think he will progress sitting behind McCown.

Again... Everybody states opinion as fact. Qualifiers like "I think" are pointless. Obviously if I'm saying it then it is my opinion, therefore the qualifier isn't necessary. Even "Peyton Manning is great" is an opinion, but you won't see anybody complaining when somebody doesn't qualify it as their opinion.

Glennon has showed MUCH more than Manuel. Obviously Lovie Smith doesn't believe in him, but that's an opinion. :P Doesn't mean that Glennon doesn't have a bright future if he's given another shot. I'd take him over Manuel right now without hesitation. I THINK that Manuel was a terrible decision. Period. He was a forced pick, and Buffalo will pay for it until its fixed. They don't have the weapons to hide his ineptitude, nor the offensive line to allow him to progress.

I defend the "blind faith" of Tim Murray that many people call it because Murray has the credentials. Manuel never had the credentials to warrant a high pick. The outlook on him would be FAR different if he were selected where most projected him and where he should've been... The third round or later. Instead, many fans show blind faith in him because he was picked in the first round.

Sorry, I've just been extremely annoyed about everything Bills related today. The Graham signing is the only move the team has made so far that'll have an impact. It's just watching other teams actually know what they're doing, have eight home games every year, somehow make big additions after their roster is already stacked with elite talent WHILE locking up their own players and all that has just made me realize how bad this organization currently is.

Edited by Tankalicious

Again... Everybody states opinion as fact. Qualifiers like "I think" are pointless. Obviously if I'm saying it then it is my opinion, therefore the qualifier isn't necessary. Even "Peyton Manning is great" is an opinion, but you won't see anybody complaining when somebody doesn't qualify it as their opinion.

Glennon has showed MUCH more than Manuel. Obviously Lovie Smith doesn't believe in him, but that's an opinion. :P Doesn't mean that Glennon doesn't have a bright future if he's given another shot. I'd take him over Manuel right now without hesitation. I THINK that Manuel was a terrible decision. Period. He was a forced pick, and Buffalo will pay for it until its fixed. They don't have the weapons to hide his ineptitude, nor the offensive line to allow him to progress.

I defend the "blind faith" of Tim Murray that many people call it because Murray has the credentials. Manuel never had the credentials to warrant a high pick. The outlook on him would be FAR different if he were selected where most projected him and where he should've been... The third round or later. Instead, many fans show blind faith in him because he was picked in the first round.

Sorry, I've just been extremely annoyed about everything Bills related today. The Graham signing is the only move the team has made so far that'll have an impact. It's just watching other teams actually know what they're doing, have eight home games every year, somehow make big additions after their roster is already stacked with elite talent WHILE locking up their own players and all that has just made me realize how bad this organization currently is.

In my opinion, good writers qualify their statements with in my opinion.

Secondly, the top teams tweak their roster and keep their own but build mainly through the draft. Denver is desperate and will end up a mess once Peyton turns human again. What other good teams are spending wildly?

Thirdly, it's extremely arrogant to believe that all Bills fans are showing "blind faith" just because he was drafted were you don't think he should have been drafted.