McNabb, Two 2nds for Hudson Fasching & Nicolas Deslauriers

LGR4GM

I like this story...

Deslauriers came out of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League as a defenseman, and played on the blue line his first two seasons in Manchester. But he fits the blueprint for a power forward and projects to be a third-line winger in the NHL. He's very strong on the puck and is a good puck-possession/forechecking winger.

"Coming out of camp Jack Ferreira (special assistant to Kings GM Dean Lombardi) said, 'You ought to think about moving that Deslauriers kid to the wing,' " Morris said.

"At the time we were short in training camp on power fowards. I asked him if he minded playing forward for the weekend and he scored four goals in his first exhibition game against Portland."

At that point, it was no longer an experiment.

"I'm kind of torn," Morris said of the trade, "because I've seen him really develop."

Highlights from Minnesota's game vs PSU last Friday .. #24 Fasching scored the second Gopher goal and assisted on the third:

http://youtu.be/yAmdvggZfss

Every hockey highlight vid has to be set to crappy speed alt rock, just like every football highlight vid has to be set to crappy hip hop. That's my takeaway from this year's trade deadline.

I've confessed before. I'm no scout.

I saw much (all?) of the USA WJC tournament. I absolutely loved Fasching. He became my favorite non-Sabre to watch. Big body, great hands, head and heart. Seemed pretty quick, especially for a big man. He skates. I'd say he was a man among boys, but at the WJC, that description isn't as powerful as it would be if he appeared that way in the NHL.

Steep price. I suspect he's been on TM's radar for some time. As others have said, I appreciate Murray's strength of conviction. He must have been aware of the risks - inconsistency - and moved anyway.

He's a great kid. Fast but not much laterally. Reminds me of Blake Wheeler or Nick Bjudstag.

I'm pumped we got him, but the price seems a little on the high side.

BTW - he's going to appreciate what he gets, his brother (and sister?) have something like Jim Kelly's kid has but I don't think it is Krebbs.

It seems that the Tim Murray's model is the 2007 Ducks

Gezlaf, Perry, Parros, May, Moen, Penner.....

He likes the bigger bodies.

Like the move, even though the price was on the high side.

Murray's collecting bodies that fit his model....I'm starting to think he keeps Stewart.

I mentioned his interesting life story, and I think Murray respectfully nodded to it as well as why he may have had a poor season then went gangbusters. The kid and the family sound like troopers. How can you not love that?

Not "loving" today, but Murray did VERY well by being early on Ott and Miller. Ott today goes for a 2nd and an eh prospect. Miller gets you a first, prospect and Halak. He pretty much gained Stewart and the 2015 1st as a premium. That makes this trade with LA less of a risk net-net....

I'm not sure how the moves all pan out but it's good to have fresh blood in here...the old blood is stale. I'd like to see TM build a team full of big, skilled ruffians with non-stop motors. I'd like to see that kind of ruthless model and I hope that's what's happening. Bravo to TM for all the moves and a belated kudos -- to DR for the final Vanek move which is turning out to be a master stroke with Snow's helpless blundering.

Highlights from Minnesota's game vs PSU last Friday .. #24 Fasching scored the second Gopher goal and assisted on the third:

http://youtu.be/yAmdvggZfss

Why did you have to do this???? Now I have visions of Pegula demanding we get the guy, because anyone that can beat Penn St. needs to be taken away....

Delete! Delete! Delete!

No offense to McNabb but the first time I saw him live was at a prospects game at FNC. He led the group out from the dressing room and caused a pile up behind him because he as first man on the ice fell flat on his face with the first step. It was hilarious to me and seemed like somewhat of an omen to me.

To anyone on GMTM's back about this give it up. With our bounty of picks we can afford to give a little to get what our GM thinks is what we need. I trust him as no doubt he's seen all the people in play.

Agree, People are down the deal because of McNabb and the 2 2nd rounders. McNabb couldn't even make the worst team in the NHL twice with two different coaches. He had chances to shine under Rolston and Nolan and couldn't nail down a spot. Not worried about McNabb making much of an impact. His skating isn't the greatest anyway.

That's not really true. McNabb was in Rochester this year because they wanted him and Pysyk to lead a team. He'll be a very good for LA and good for him. I think the players that the Sabres got back offer promise of talent up front. McNabb gave the Kings a big body and a good defender to replace Regehr in the end. The Sabres have Ehrhoff (for now), Myers, Pysyk, Ristolainen, Zadarov. I'm guessing that Murray isn't thinking that McNabb is expendable because of the last two.

I liked McNabb but he was a player who could flip D potential for F potential and he brought back two potential F's in the process.

Why did you have to do this???? Now I have visions of Pegula demanding we get the guy, because anyone that can beat Penn St. needs to be taken away....

Delete! Delete! Delete!

"Taken away" indeed...

It's impressive foresight from Murray, locking down step 2 early.

1. Sign 6'5 240 lb Penn State forward Zach Saar when he becomes free agent,

2. Acquire some rival schools' stars,

3. Command Saar to destroy those punks on the first day of prospect camp.

Just going to put this here:

William Carrier (C/LW): 6'2" 198lbs, 19yrs old, 57th overall pick

Nicolas Deslauriers (LW/D): 6'0" 198lbs, 23yrs old, 84th overall pick

Hudson Fasching (RW): 6'3" 214lbs, 18yrs old, 118th overall pick

Out of the 3 prospects we added to the team, none are under 6' and none are less than 198lbs. 2 of them are not even 20 yet and all of them are wingers which pre deadline was the Sabres biggest weakness going forward. Not sure if they will pan out but if 2 of the 3 become NHL players, this was well done. Size and depth added to the wing is a good thing.

I've seen Deslauriers listed at 6'0, 230

HockeyDB has that listing. The Kings have him listed at 6'1" 209lbs. The Rochester Americans have him listed also at 6'1" 230lbs

I used Elite Prospects for this... either way big kid.

Edited by LGR4GM

I've seen Deslauriers listed at 6'0, 230

HockeyDB has that listing. The Kings have him listed at 6'1" 209lbs. The Rochester Americans have him listed also at 6'1" 230lbs

I used Elite Prospects for this... either way big kid.

He's 23 and has never played an NHL game. We're really stretching the definitions of "kid" and "prospect" for Deslauriers.

This trade will be made or broken based on how Fasching turns out.

I know I'm late to the party on this point but I'm very happy the 2 2nd were LA's originals. The 2014 will be a late pick in a somewhat weak draft and I'm assuming the 2015 will be a later pick as well.

Definitely.

Deslauriers’ athleticism, strength ease transition

There was a moment before the 2013-14 season when Jack Ferreira, the Los Angeles Kings’ Special Assistant to the General Manager, spoke with Manchester Monarchs Head Coach Mark Morris about changing the usage of a player that was going to begin his third year in the American Hockey League.

He wanted Nic Deslauriers, a mobile, offensive-minded defenseman selected in the third round of the 2009 draft, to play left wing.

Morris smiled when recalling his response to Ferreira. “We can do that?” he said, conveying his excitement.

The move hasn’t been as much of an experiment as it has been a thoroughly successful transition that “reinvigorated [Deslauriers'] whole career,” according to Morris. Deslauriers scored four goals in the team’s first preseason game, and at the AHL All-Star break ranks second on the club in goals with 15.

He's 23 and has never played an NHL game. We're really stretching the definitions of "kid" and "prospect" for Deslauriers.

This trade will be made or broken based on how Fasching turns out.

You're probably right, but I can't shake the suspicion that he's better than just about every winger on the Sabres' current roster.

If nothing else I hope we get a look at him for a few games.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.