Remaining available players

Barnabov

I am somewhat disappointed by the lack of FA signings by Darcy but not surprised. Seems like they feel Vanek is going to plug in for loss of Satan and Teppo for Zhitnik. Besides placing a lot of pressure on Vanek and setting Teppo up to be a disappointment if he can't perform, this still ignores the fact that we weren't competitive enough to make the playoffs with the current lineup in the past couple of years.

So, not that I'm expecting anything to get done, but just for fun, what are the Board's thoughts on the remaining slim pickings...

I'd like to see some depth on defense even in the 5th & 6th spots instead of going with Campbell and Tallinder and Fitzpatrick and a proven goal scorer (a la Bondra or even a Scott Young at the right price) as opposed to hoping everyone else has career years.

Forwards:

? Jozef Stumpel

? Peter Bondra

? Yanic Perreault

? Scott Young

Defensemen

? Scott Lachance

? Marcus Ragnarsson

? Murray Baron

? Bryan Marchment

Guest Guest_Eric

Stumpel signed with Florida, Bondra would be nice but he's not coming here, Ragnarsson is staying in Sweden next season, Perrault's a decent player but not a significant upgrade from anybody we already have at center. I like Scott Young, but he needs an elite playmaking center to be productive- we don't have one.

LaChance, Marchment, and Baron are all terrible and would be downgrades from our already shaky defense corps.

Guest Kristian

I'm getting so desperate, I actually looked a Bryan Marchment's name for more than two seconds.

The premise of a small weak Buffalo team getting bossed around yet another season, does weaird things to the mind, I suppose.

LaChance, Marchment, and Baron are all terrible and would be downgrades from our already shaky defense corps.

I agree. I would not want these guys. WGR has an audio link to Eklund from this morning. He was saying that there was talk about the Sabres looking at a Calgary defenseman since they are well off at that position. If this is true, it would be nice to get a guy like Jordan Leopold, or get Rhett back here. I don't think a Toni Lydman or Robyn Reghehr would be good enough. There was some talk by Eklund about a 3 way trade, but when asked if Aaron Miller for Biron was a possibility, he said definitely. They have similar salaries, and LA needs a #1 goalie. LA has Miller as their top paid defenseman so it might be tough to replace him if they aren't strong there.

I'd definately welcome Leopold but the problem is he's been in the league for only two seasons but already 25 years old which means he could become an UFA in two seasons if don't sign him to a long term deal.

I like Rhett as much as any Sabres fan but there are questions about his durability as he's only played over 70 games in 3 of his 9 seasons in the league. Of course with quotes like this he was re-signed two weeks ago, "an identity player on our team. He's a winner and a leader in our locker-room. It's that simple.", it's unlikely they'd be willing to part with him anyway.

Archived