GDT Canada vs Sweden

Derrico

Ah good one woody. Canada has a proud history of wartime contributions that won't be diminished by your lack of knowledge in that regard. In fact during both WW1 and WW2 thousands of your countrymen joined the Canadian forces for a chance to go into battle long before the Americans officially declared war.

But I've gone off topic. ;)

I'll be getting up at 4am. Its going to be epic. Go Canada

Lol I have knowledge, but that was all I had to go with, I'm a veteran of this country and I respect all armed forces from all countries..... I'm just a sore loser lol ;)

Congrats to Canada for winning AGAIN.... Now it's time. For some trades

Here are Carey Price's stats for the tourney - since ESPN doesn't seem to list them other than wins

5-0 record

GAA - 0.6 !!!!!

SVG% - 97.2 !!!!!

106 shots faced, 103 saves

2 shutouts.

Price ought to get a medal for that performance..... oh wait.... :lol:

Credit to Canadian team management who selected this group of players. On a unfortunate note Backstrom was out of game because of testing positive for a banned substance. Again what this tournament shows is just how many people play the game excellently from all over the world and just how close the talent is at the top with so many nations able to assemble a team any of which could win a gold medal. Glad it is over for another four years, it concerns me at times with the national bias each of us would have it could cause bad feelings amongst us. I ponder at times just what these competitions are or what they have become, but the import does seem to be more than a game. Wish it were not so. Good for Canada to win, full credit, over all they were the best these two weeks, but it good to remember the best of players come from all over the world not just one nation.

Hockey is not for Cowards, (Russian Hockey Song)

The ears ring with the bold music of an attack...

Make an accurate pass, shoot hard!

And everything is right, if on the ice is

The Magnificent Five and a Goalkeeper!

Chorus:

The ice brotherhood combats hard

And we trust in courage of daring guys

Real men play hockey,

No coward plays hockey!

Let the place behind the rival's net to be more frequently

Illuminated by red lamp's victorious flash!

But if there's a need, defends brilliantly

Chorus

Many beautiful games would be seen

And we won't forget, we'll never forget as long ago

Gold and cups have been won at ice battles by

Chorus

Edited by millbank

Here are Carey Price's stats for the tourney - since ESPN doesn't seem to list them other than wins

5-0 record

GAA - 0.6 !!!!!

SVG% - 97.2 !!!!!

106 shots faced, 103 saves

2 shutouts.

Price ought to get a medal for that performance..... oh wait.... :lol:

Not to discount price, as I didn't see all of the games but, I believe their D should get more credit for those numbers than him.... I mean the US put 31 shots up but they were all pretty simple saves

Btw, who got the tourney MVP?

Teemu Selanne was named MVP

tournament All-Star team:

Goalkeeper: Henrik Lundqvist, Sweden

Defenseman: Erik Karlsson, Sweden

Defenseman: Drew Doughty, Canada

Forward: Teemu Selanne, Finland

Forward: Phil Kessel, USA

Forward: Mikael Granlund, Finland

Edited by millbank

Two words: hockey clinic.

Tip of the hat to Price, but even Miller and shorty Enroth could have pitched back to back SOs with that squad in front of him.

Just an awesome display of hockey by the Canadian team. Well done, Canada. Congratulations.

GO SABRES!!!

Teemu Selanne was named MVP

At 43 years of age. Amazing how he can still bring it.

GO SABRES!!!

So Sweden was told 20 minutes before the game that Backstrom was DQ'ed because of an illegal substance found in a test taken after the Slovenia game four days ago?

It was for an allergy medication that he's been prescribed for 7 years, a medication which has been openly communicated to the NHL, and one which the NHL has stated gives no performance enhancement whatsoever. He must have been on it during the last Olympics too, if the 7 year statement is correct.

Seems like pretty weak sauce, and a shame that Sweden was without one of their stars for the Gold Medal game.

The details can be read here;

http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2014/icehockey/story/_/id/10505967/2014-sochi-olympics-sweden-top-center-nicklas-backstrom-tests-positive-banned-substance

It was for an allergy medication that he's been prescribed for 7 years, a medication which has been openly communicated to the NHL, and one which the NHL has stated gives no performance enhancement whatsoever. He must have been on it during the last Olympics too, if the 7 year statement is correct.

Seems like pretty weak sauce, and a shame that Sweden was without one of their stars for the Gold Medal game.

The details can be read here;

http://espn.go.com/o...anned-substance

Thanks. They mention what baffled me as well, the timing. The team wasn't notified until 20 minuted before the game? That had to have had a significant impact on the game plan. A player of his caliber to be unexpectedly removed from the game at the last minute................ Sounds fishy to me.

Lol I have knowledge, but that was all I had to go with, I'm a veteran of this country and I respect all armed forces from all countries..... I'm just a sore loser lol ;)

Congrats to Canada for winning AGAIN.... Now it's time. For some trades

I salute you for your service, much respect.

Thanks. They mention what baffled me as well, the timing. The team wasn't notified until 20 minuted before the game? That had to have had a significant impact on the game plan. A player of his caliber to be unexpectedly removed from the game at the last minute................ Sounds fishy to me.

He and the team were notified 2 hours prior to game time just to clarify.

Here is my conspiracy theory take on the matter: I read an article about Backstroms grandmother saying he was going to embarrass himself in this tourney. After hearing he was dq'd because of a banned substance gears started turning in my head. Now I'm well aware what we are told is he tested positive from a allergy medication( just taking it will not get you dq'd, but it had to be a certain amount in the urine so a minor amount wouldn't have tested positive). So I'm wondering if it was actually an illegal drug but because the nhl doesn't want eyebrows raised towards their drug testing they called it "allergy medication"

Please note this is just my conspiracy theory and I'm not saying Backstrom is a coke head or anything of that nature. Just seems a little bit fishy

He and the team were notified 2 hours prior to game time just to clarify.

Here is my conspiracy theory take on the matter: I read an article about Backstroms grandmother saying he was going to embarrass himself in this tourney. After hearing he was dq'd because of a banned substance gears started turning in my head. Now I'm well aware what we are told is he tested positive from a allergy medication( just taking it will not get you dq'd, but it had to be a certain amount in the urine so a minor amount wouldn't have tested positive). So I'm wondering if it was actually an illegal drug but because the nhl doesn't want eyebrows raised towards their drug testing they called it "allergy medication"

Please note this is just my conspiracy theory and I'm not saying Backstrom is a coke head or anything of that nature. Just seems a little bit fishy

I'm pretty sure the NHL in general does not adhere to the IOC list of banned substances, but I could be wrong?

I dsitincly remember several NHL'ers missing time up to the Salt Lake City games in 2002 (Max included), due to stuff like cold's, ordinary flu etc.

As far as I recall, the IOC list of banned substances included several cold and flu meds allowed by the NHL, and players were afraid they might test positive unless they steered clear of them, well in advance.

This sounds rather similar, although foolish by Backstrom.

Reminds me when Ulf Samuelsson was disqualified in Nagano for entering the country on an American passport, rather than his Swedish passport - Stupid move, but hardly any ill-will behind it.

I'm pretty sure the NHL in general does not adhere to the IOC list of banned substances, but I could be wrong?

I dsitincly remember several NHL'ers missing time up to the Salt Lake City games in 2002 (Max included), due to stuff like cold's, ordinary flu etc.

As far as I recall, the IOC list of banned substances included several cold and flu meds allowed by the NHL, and players were afraid they might test positive unless they steered clear of them, well in advance.

This sounds rather similar, although foolish by Backstrom.

Reminds me when Ulf Samuelsson was disqualified in Nagano for entering the country on an American passport, rather than his Swedish passport - Stupid move, but hardly any ill-will behind it.

levels of 150 or less allowed, he had 190, and this amount very much so is a stimulant ....

Edited by millbank

Pseudoephedrine - A cold med, which is what I expected.

I'm no expert, but my guess is the NHL allowed level is higher than 150, that is if they ever test for it.

Like I said, in 2002, where the olympics were pretty much underway with the NHL still playing, you saw guys sit out games with colds and the flu, contrary to business as usual.

Players didn't want those meds in their bodies, as they knew they'd be tested at the games.

The substance is not banned by the nhl. Just thought I'd run my theory by you guys and see what you think. After all when was the last time we heard of PED's in hockey? Just think it's funny how we never hear anything about nhl drug tests. Maybe trying to avoid any A-Rod like, negative publicity

Edited by Naulter8

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.