Winter Olympics general discussion

darksabre

Regarding terrorism... I think we should have traded Miller before the Olympic break just in case something happens over there. :P

We have a presidential politics thread which is currently debating religion and science, yet the most offensive Posta of the day have been about the Olympics and an NHL player's medical condition. I love this place :lol:

Alright, my two cents. Watched the Opening Ceremony as it happened. Don't read if you want it all to be a surprise this evening, but the beer is flowing and I am babbling.

The music. I'm a classical nerd, so perhaps I'm biased, but I really loved the sequences using Tchaikovsky and Sviridov.. I read where a Russian official said basically, well, we don't have pop stars, so instead of One Direction or the Spice Girls, we have Tchaikovsky. It worked. Only thing that could've made it better for me was some Rachmaninov.

I loved the Tolstoy ballet. I thought the use of the projections and rafters was very ingenious. Then there's some odd bits that are uber colorful and artsy, and there's giant animatronic mascots that I honestly thought were well done, but could be rather creepy to some.

I was so happy to see Tretiak. Putin's mistress/lady/thing is one of the final torchbearers as well, as is Sharapova. Lots of pretty Russian ladies.

I was impressed. I honestly hadn't given much thought to the fact that many of the literature/arts that I love are actually Russian, so that made it better for me. (except Dostoevsky, my god, i could never get through his work) Admittedly, the BBC feed had the announcers breaking in with updates on the hijacking issue out of Istanbul, which made it a bit darker, but overall, very beautifully done, with a classic Russian failure in the rings not fully opening and looking like Putin's puckered ######. I look forward to seeing it on a full TV without graininess and lags. The ceremony, not Putin's winking eye.

Alright, my two cents. Watched the Opening Ceremony as it happened. Don't read if you want it all to be a surprise this evening, but the beer is flowing and I am babbling.

The music. I'm a classical nerd, so perhaps I'm biased, but I really loved the sequences using Tchaikovsky and Sviridov.. I read where a Russian official said basically, well, we don't have pop stars, so instead of One Direction or the Spice Girls, we have Tchaikovsky. It worked. Only thing that could've made it better for me was some Rachmaninov.

I loved the Tolstoy ballet. I thought the use of the projections and rafters was very ingenious. Then there's some odd bits that are uber colorful and artsy, and there's giant animatronic mascots that I honestly thought were well done, but could be rather creepy to some.

I was so happy to see Tretiak. Putin's mistress/lady/thing is one of the final torchbearers as well, as is Sharapova. Lots of pretty Russian ladies.

I was impressed. I honestly hadn't given much thought to the fact that many of the literature/arts that I love are actually Russian, so that made it better for me. (except Dostoevsky, my god, i could never get through his work) Admittedly, the BBC feed had the announcers breaking in with updates on the hijacking issue out of Istanbul, which made it a bit darker, but overall, very beautifully done, with a classic Russian failure in the rings not fully opening and looking like Putin's puckered ######. I look forward to seeing it on a full TV without graininess and lags. The ceremony, not Putin's winking eye.

I'm reading the Brothers karamazov. Its really good but my fave is Gogol mostly for his humour. Dead souls was great.

I really liked the classical bits as well. Swan Lake was nice, although I found myself thinking of the Black Swan movie, lol. The projections on the floor were extremely well done and impressive from a technical standpoint.

Anybody know the TV schedule for mens hockey?

http://www.sbnation....dule-2014-sochi

We can talk about terrorism and stray dogs here and save the other thread for hockey talk!

Anybody see that someone tried to hijack a plane from Ukraine and fly it to Sochi before it was intercepted by Turkish F-16's? http://www.nytimes.c...rref=world&_r=0

Anyhow, the guy who attempted to hijack the plane was wearing a Montreal Canadians #11 Koivu jersey. lol

post-210-0-81546200-1391834779_thumb.jpg

post-210-0-59737700-1391834786_thumb.jpg

Edited by Loyalty

The ballet was killer. Also really liked the segment representing the conflict and revolution. The gears, music and all the red were pretty intense. Swan Lake was cool and I always love the Firebird Suite (ever since the album Yessongs).

The figures, though,… that was tough. It was like watching one of those Christmas light shows set to music in someone's front yard.

On the whole it was pretty amazing.

I'm reading the Brothers karamazov. Its really good but my fave is Gogol mostly for his humour. Dead souls was great.

Dead Souls. Spectacular. Anna Karenina exposed me to Russian literature (must read), and brought me to Gogol. There is a fine arts majesty about Russia. The program was thrilling. Interesting to me is how a country tells its own story in the opening. "This is how we see ourselves". Rite of Spring, another highlight.

Edited by Neo

Thanks, check out this pretty cool pic she sent to us hanging on the rings.

http://sophiecaldwell.blogspot.com/

It's pretty cool to have an emotional attachment to the games. How are her chances? I know nothing about her competition other than I presume it is world class. Is there the equivalent of a Michael Phelps in there or is she the equivalent in her competition?

Niiice. My favorite is Solzhenitsyn. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich is great. The Gulag Archipelago is a wonderful read, too.

Also, yay US Women! Heard the Norwegians are already cleaning up in speed skating.

Thanks, check out this pretty cool pic she sent to us hanging on the rings.

http://sophiecaldwell.blogspot.com/

This is so awesome! I can't wait to follow her journey over there. Best of luck to her!

It's pretty cool to have an emotional attachment to the games. How are her chances? I know nothing about her competition other than I presume it is world class. Is there the equivalent of a Michael Phelps in there or is she the equivalent in her competition?

I don't believe she is favored to medal but you never know. ..

I posted this in the Things That Are Awesome thread, but maybe it belongs here:

Canada Fires Back At Russia’s Ban On Gay Propaganda With Hilarious Homoerotic Commercial

http://nextimpulsesports.com/2014/02/05/canada-fires-back-russias-ban-gay-propaganda-hilarious-homoerotic-commercial/#_

I posted this in the Things That Are Awesome thread, but maybe it belongs here:

Canada Fires Back At Russia’s Ban On Gay Propaganda With Hilarious Homoerotic Commercial

http://nextimpulsesp...c-commercial/#_

Saw that this morning on the facebooks, I laughed out loud for sure. Ohh yeeahhhh back and forth...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.