• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

I push for more, but if it is the best offer on the table, I take Briere for Stafford, straight across.

Briere still has more goal-scoring ability than all but a couple Sabres, he's a great guy in the room to show the kids the way and he is a UFA next year who we might get something for at the deadline.

Stafford might rebound in Montreal, but his time here is way past due.

What he brings on the ice can be filled by any number of Matt D'Agostinis.

I would take Briere for Stafford in a heartbeat. And I think a guy like Briere (i.e. someone else's bad contract) is the only thing the Sabres could realistically get for Stafford.

They are only slightly better than us. We were going to make him the highest paid player and he wouldnt agree. He isnt going to sign anywhere until free agency and I bet you a much better team will offer as much money as the islanders.

Yeah but the money is the problem. Montreal would want us to keep some of it and we want to get out from under that landslide

I agree 100% on Vanek -- I'll be very surprised if he doesn't go to UFA.

As for Stafford, he and Briere make about the same cash, and Briere's deal looks as bad as Stafford's does -- so it's likely that the Sabres wouldn't need to keep salary in that scenario.

At this point in the season, being this close to UFA status I think it would be difficult for any player to not just ride it out at this point. The risk to them is only major injury. Why not play the market and re-sign with the same team if there's nothing better out there.

I am fairly certain the Sabres can't retain any salary until the Vanek and Pommers salary retention stuff ends after this season.

"A club cannot absorb more than 50 percent of the players’ annual cap hit/salary in any trade. Any NHL club can only have up to three contracts on their payroll in which the contract was traded away under the retaining salary proviso.

Also, only up to 15 percent of your upper limit cap amount can be used up by the money you have retained in trades." - Pierre LeBrun as quoted in this article.

I'm not doing the math on the cap percentages, but they can retain salary in one more trade this season so long as they don't eclipse "15% of [the] upper limit cap amount." Just posting for clarification since nobody seemed quite sure.

Edited by thesportsbuff

Sabres have the ability to retain salary on one more deal - something I'm sure they are saving for MIller.

Stafford and Briere have identical cap hits - $4 million each, this year and next.

Edited by dudacek

Sabres have the ability to retain salary on one more deal - something I'm sure they are saving for MIller.

Stafford and Briere have identical cap hits - $4 million each, this year and next.

I take Briere and I buy out Leino. Boom, instant money for Miller.

"A club cannot absorb more than 50 percent of the players’ annual cap hit/salary in any trade. Any NHL club can only have up to three contracts on their payroll in which the contract was traded away under the retaining salary proviso.

Also, only up to 15 percent of your upper limit cap amount can be used up by the money you have retained in trades." - Pierre LeBrun as quoted in this article.

I'm not doing the math on the cap percentages, but they can retain salary in one more trade this season so long as they don't eclipse "15% of [the] upper limit cap amount." Just posting for clarification since nobody seemed quite sure.

Ahh excellent and great find.

Any idea if the retained salary from these trades (Vanek and Pommers) would count towards the salary floor? If they are going to be fielding a relatively young roster next year for the McDavid tank, it may be beneficial to retain salary from these trades to maintain roster and cap flexibility going into our "competitive" years in 15'/16'.

I take Briere and I buy out Leino. Boom, instant money for Miller.

Money for Miller is not and will not be an issue. It's a matter of him wanting to be here or the front office wanting him here. He gets a blank check if both sides want him around.

Any idea if the retained salary from these trades (Vanek and Pommers) would count towards the salary floor? If they are going to be fielding a relatively young roster next year for the McDavid tank, it may be beneficial to retain salary from these trades to maintain roster and cap flexibility going into our "competitive" years in 15'/16'.

Yes, they do count towards the cap floor.

EDIT: didn't read your whole post, Chz did. They would help for next year if they didn't expire.

Edited by Tankalicious

Not that I don't find all the speculation entertaining, but with 30 teams and 30+ players per team (including spares and prospects), the number of possibilities is way too much for me. I won't make any predictions or offer any input. I'm just going to enjoy the ride....

Don't think a rental and Adam will get you Forsberg. Miller I could see as a possibility. Stafford might get you a 2nd but not with a prospect. If you want a prospect probably wouldn't get much more than a 4th included with it. Either of those scenarios doesn't include Briere. I sign Ott as well.

Lets not forget forsberg was traded for MARTIN ERAT

Those contracts end this season, so no.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/15/nhl-exec-moulson-trade-would-cost-first-round-pick-prospect/

One of the big names expected to be discussed as the trade deadline draws near is Buffalo forward Matt Moulson. According to the Ottawa Sun, the price to land the three-time 30-goal scorer is quite high:

“Lots,” another NHL exec figured when asked what it would cost a team to get Moulson, a 30-year old who has 14 goals and 17 assists in 42 games split between Long Island and Buffalo this season. “A minimum of a first (round pick) and a top young player.

“And I’m not even sure they even want a first in this draft.”

Also Pierre Lebrun noted that:

...perhaps GM George McPhee could have gotten more had he waited until the summer to shop Forsberg fully to the league. You see, I believe the Caps were going to trade Forsberg at some point no matter what, internally souring on the prospect, a player they no longer viewed as a top center in the making. Scouts I’ve spoken with have mixed opinions. Some still view him as a top center in the making, at least a No. 2, but others are concerned by his foot speed. The latter is what concerned Washington. We shall see who has the last word here. Forsberg may make the Caps rue the day they dealt him to Nashville. For that, we’ll have to circle back here in three to four years to rekindle this conversation.

Those contracts end this season, so no.

As mentioned earlier, yes trades that involve retained salary count towards your salary cap, and therefore salary floor. Once the contract of the player who was traded is over, we no longer retain any salary.

As for retained salary helping us once we are competitive again, the answer would be no. Once we are a competitive team, we will want all the cap space we can handle so we can sign free agents or pick up rental players at the deadline. Also we will have some RFA's who hopefully earned some big raises that we will have to re-sign

And Michael Latta which I think is something ppl skip over.

True, so basically a rental plus prospect. Which is the point I was trying to make. Exception being erat wasn't set to be a UFA, though I still consider him a rental

Edited by Naulter8

True, so basically a rental plus prospect. Which is the point I was trying to make. Exception being erat wasn't set to be a UFA, though I still consider him a rental

He had two years remaining plus the rest of a third season, that's not a rental.

As mentioned earlier, yes trades that involve retained salary count towards your salary cap, and therefore salary floor. Once the contract of the player who was traded is over, we no longer retain any salary.

As for retained salary helping us once we are competitive again, the answer would be no. Once we are a competitive team, we will want all the cap space we can handle so we can sign free agents or pick up rental players at the deadline. Also we will have some RFA's who hopefully earned some big raises that we will have to re-sign

The retention of salary on all three (Vanek, Pommers and potentially Miller) would all end after this season based on comments upthread. given that Pegula has stated that cash shouldn't be an issue, it would make sense to me to maximize the salary retention on a potential Miller trade (either the 15% to cap or the 50% of total contract amount, IIRC) in order to maximize the return. Our cap number this year isn't an issue and all of the salary retention will end this offseason with all three contracts coming off the books.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/28795/rumblings-market-for-goalies-countdown-to-ryan-oreilly-decision

Market for Miller

It’s whole-heartedly expected that Ryan Miller will be dealt before the March 5 trade deadline, but as of this week, sources close to the situation said there wasn’t a whole lot going on.

Let’s give new Sabres GM Tim Murray some time to get his feet wet and figure out the market place for Miller, who is an unrestricted free agent July 1.

One also suspects that at some point Murray will speak with Miller’s camp led by agent Mike Liut, and that had not happened as of Wednesday evening.

Also, the market needs to better define itself for Miller, who is having an outstanding year, as there’s no real obvious landing spot for him right now.

Before the March 5, either an injury needs to happen to a starter on a contender or a contender has to realize that adding Miller is the kind of upgrade to what they have that could make the difference in winning a championship.

The St. Louis Blues seem quite content with their current goaltending, and why not given how Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott have played this season. Both have been rock solid. But don’t you look at the Blues and say to yourself: "Oh my, if they add Ryan Miller that might just be the final piece."

I know I do. But maybe I’m alone in that thought.

Is this going to be a real trade deadline thread (in which case, consider shutting it down until after Sochi), or a trade speculation thread?

While I don't really understand the poll much, it's supposed to work as both I guess. But we could have a pre and post Sochi thread since many reporters see there being two technical deadlines this seasons.

While I don't really understand the poll much, it's supposed to work as both I guess. But we could have a pre and post Sochi thread since many reporters see there being two technical deadlines this seasons.

That doesn't address the question. For as long as I can remember, we've had a trade deadline thread that announces and discusses actual trades. You were a member last year at the trade deadline; you may recall this.

That doesn't address the question. For as long as I can remember, we've had a trade deadline thread that announces and discusses actual trades. You were a member last year at the trade deadline; you may recall this.

I do. I enjoyed that thread and hope it pops again sometime closer to the deadline.

I think this thread is just a product of people, like myself, not wanting to discuss speculation in three different threads (such as Around, the Vanek thread and the place your bets thread).