• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

With the deadline only a two months away, and rumors already heating up, I figured it was time we created a separate thread for all trades leading up to the deadline so we don't clutter up others. Plus, wanted to have one place to discuss all rumors instead of two different threads.

Enjoy the poll, and the thread. I'm taking the last few relevant posts from other threads and putting them in here, just give me a second.

David Pagnotta@TheFourthPeriod

The Oilers have been working the lines pretty heavily lately, I suspect we'll see at least one more move fairly shortly.

Seems that Edmonton is trying to make additional moves as their last trade doesn't really address their primary need of legit goaltending. However if I had to think in terms of Buffalo, I would think Jhonas Enroth with another year on his deal would be more of a target for them than Ryan Miller. Speculation on my part of course.

http://www.thehockey...-become-buyers/

WHO WILL THE NEW SABRES GM TRADE?

The Buffalo Sabres recent hiring of former Senators assistant GM Tim Murray as their new GM has some observers pondering the moves he could have in store for his new club.

CBC’s Elliotte Friedman reports Murray, in the press conference announcing his hiring, indicated there were no untouchables on his new team. However, teams with interest in young Sabres like Zemgus Girgensons, Tyler Myers or Rasmus Ristolainen should expect to pay a high price to acquire them. That should discourage any rival GM hoping to fleece Murray, who has years of front office experience with several NHL clubs.

Murray’s biggest challenge will be determining the fate of pending free agents like Moulson, Ott and goaltender Ryan Miller. Murray is expected to speak with Miller before the March trade deadline about re-signing with the Sabres. If the netminder intends to test this summer’s free agent market, Murray could shop him for the best possible return.

COULD THE PANTHERS LAND MILLER?

Harvey Fialkov of sun-sentinel.com notes Miller has family living in Florida, suggesting the Panthers could consider pursuing the 33-year-old goalie via free agency in July.

Vinnie Viola, the Panthers new owner, has given GM Dale Tallon permission to spend up to the cap ceiling this summer, which is projected to be $71.1 million for 2014-15. The Panthers currently have$40.4 million invested in 12 players, leaving them more than $35 million to pursue free agent talent like Miller in July.

It remains to be seen, of course, if the Panthers succeed in landing Miller or any of this summer’s top free agents. While they will bid competitively, that might not be enough to attract a veteran like Miller, who would likely prefer signing with a Stanley Cup contender. Indeed, Tallon should avoid pursuing veterans more interested in a big payday than in building a winner.

At the very least, the Panthers willingness to spend puts an end to speculation they’ll engage in a roster fire sale by the deadline.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441247

Volatile Venture

With the post-season now a realistic possibility for the surging Ottawa Senators, general manager Bryan Murray seems ready to make a deal.

"We are available to make a deal," he said in a conference call Tuesday.

However, Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun writes that one of the prized names on the market, Buffalo Sabres forward Matt Moulson, may be a little too pricey for the nation's capital.

Brennan says one NHL executive believes a deal between the Senators and Sabres "makes sense", but another executive said the Sabres would likely ask for too much in the form of "a minimum of a first (round pick) and a top young player. And I'm not even sure they even want a first in this draft."

Moulson is making $3.13 million this year and is said to be looking for a long-term deal and double his current wage. The Senators likely won't be willing to give up the pieces or dollars for a deal going forward.

Edited by WildCard

My question would be... If the Oilers offered you their Conditional 1st rounder in 2015 for Enroth, the condition being he signs an extension next season, would you do it? You either get a 2015 1st rounder or you get a 2015 2nd rounder if he doesn't resign. What is your play?

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger

Sounds like Craig MacTavish is hard at work today. Dubnyk trade to Preds and perhaps, more action on the goalie front. Stay tuned.

I went with Blues, Senators, Kings on question 1 and Blues for question 2. I think we trade Ott to the Kings, Miller to the Blues, and Moulson to Ottawa. Blues make the biggest splash with Miller and I'm guessing another trade with another team. We'll see how it plays out though.

My question would be... If the Oilers offered you their Conditional 1st rounder in 2015 for Enroth, the condition being he signs an extension next season, would you do it? You either get a 2015 1st rounder or you get a 2015 2nd rounder if he doesn't resign. What is your play?

Sounds like Craig MacTavish is hard at work today. Dubnyk trade to Preds and perhaps, more action on the goalie front. Stay tuned.

I don't trade Enroth unless Miller signs an extension first. If he does, I'd make the deal though.

Kings clear a bit more cap space by moving Scrivens to EDM (did so earlier by moving Carcillo to NYR). They're looking hard for scoring LWer

Paging Matt Moulson... Matt Moulson to Tim Murray's office, thank you.

for what in return? a low 1st round pick?

Edmonton finalizing 1 more trade today. We shall see.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

Sounds like Ben Scrivens has been traded from LA to EDM, 3rd round pick headed back to LA.

Well there you go the market for a decent backup/possible starter GT is a 3rd round pick roughly.

Gah! I was just about to post about there being NFW anyone would give up a #1 for Enroth.

Even though it's a rumor thread -- I implore you to keep your pants on.

Gah! I was just about to post about there being NFW anyone would give up a #1 for Enroth.

Even though it's a rumor thread -- I implore you to keep your pants on.

I said no rumor I asked a question. The value for a backup keeper is a high 3rd round late 2nd rounder. Is Enroth a backup? That is question to ask yourself now. The other question is what is Miller worth.

Cam Ward trade is possible, but Carolina requires great return to consider in-season. He should return to action next week.

Okay what the ###### is going on? There has been very limited trade talk up until now. Now we have Cam Ward's name out there from a reliable source. This could be highly entertaining.

I don't think trading Enroth is worth it given the returns noted above for Dubnyk/Scrivens. We wouldn't be expecting anything more than a 2nd rounder. Why not keep him as a 'Goalie Purgatory' stop-gap until we are finally good. Trading Enroth assumes keeping Miller which throws a wrench into the tank in 2015 strategy. To me it's trade Miller or keep all goalies...

for what in return? a low 1st round pick?

Kings clear a bit more cap space by moving Scrivens to EDM (did so earlier by moving Carcillo to NYR). They're looking hard for scoring LWer

Paging Matt Moulson... Matt Moulson to Tim Murray's office, thank you.

Sign me up for Martin Jones and a pick :beer:

Edmonton never had a chance to get Miller anyways, so it doesn't change anything for us.

Figured for Enroth really, but that would only be if Miller resigned or we got a goalie to replace them both

Edited by WildCard

My semi-bold prediction: Matt Moulson plays in an outdoor game this season. For the Kings, Rangers or Senators. Would mean he would be moved soon.

And if Scrivens, an upcoming UFA with mediocre talent, can get moved for a third round pick then expect at least a first for Miller. If the market follows Edmonton, that is.

Edited by Tankalicious

Toffoli was making some noise as a young forward toward the end of last year but I haven't heard anything buzzworthy from him this season. It's possible I don't follow LA/west coast hockey as closely but is he having a good year?

17pts in 33gp for LA. I wouldn't mind seeing him in our system.

Plus he fits the young NHL player mold that I would be looking for to accelerate the rebuilding process a bit. Even with McDavid/Reinhart we aren't going to be playoff competitors if all of our players are less than 25yrs old.

Yep I'd make that move if available. You can only have so many draft picks and this year seems like a weaker class. I also don't think too many teams are going to offer up their 2015 1st so let's see if we can turn Moulson into a young player with upside.

As far as Toffoli for a rental forward in Matt Moulson: LA fans would riot. He's still a very highly regarded prospect who hasn't broken through just yet. We'd be more likely to target the next crop of forwards they have behind Pearson and Toffoli. If we could get Linden Vey that would be awesome.

As far as Toffoli for a rental forward in Matt Moulson: LA fans would riot. He's still a very highly regarded prospect who hasn't broken through just yet. We'd be more likely to target the next crop of forwards they have behind Pearson and Toffoli. If we could get Linden Vey that would be awesome.

Isn't that exactly the type of player that TM should be targeting? The ones that are on the precipice of NHL top-6 level but have yet to show it. That's what we brought TM and his player evaluation skills in to do.

If Toffoli is not available, Zykov would be my next target with Vey a close 2nd to him. We will have to see what Murray will do.

If Toffoli is not available, Zykov would be my next target with Vey a close 2nd to him. We will have to see what Murray will do.

I'd put Vykov right there with Toffoli and Pearson as not available in a trade for a rental. I know that with Pearson and Toffoli multiple reporters have said there's no way they move them for anything less than a big package. I'd think that Vykov is there, as well.

Edited by Tankalicious