Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Over a year in the making...is everyone happy? I think I am pretty pleased overall.

I didn't pay much attention to prospects who were projected to be drafted beyond around pick 20, so I don't have much of an opinion on them. I wanted Reinhart and we got him, so that's what really matters. I also like how Murray said they were aiming for guys with a top-6 ceiling later in the draft, even if they carried more risk. Might as well swing for the fences when many are unlikely to see the NHL anyway.

Next year is going to be even better. How many first round picks do you think we can acquire between now and then?

Maybe 1 or 2 late picks. If Stafford and Stewart go are traded at the deadline with both having solid seasons and to teams almost assured to do well just wanting some additional scoring.

Our highest pick since Vanek. Pleased is an understatement. High end talent. Keep collecting it.

Actually it was our highest pick since Turgeon! Pretty crazy that the team has never picked 2nd, 3rd or 4th until this year.

I didn't pay much attention to prospects who were projected to be drafted beyond around pick 20, so I don't have much of an opinion on them.

That's me, pretty much as well. I liked Reinhart and had Lemieux in my top 30. These two plus Johansson make it an A-rating draft for me.

I wanted Reinhart and we got him, so that's what really matters. I also like how Murray said they were aiming for guys with a top-6 ceiling later in the draft, even if they carried more risk. Might as well swing for the fences when many are unlikely to see the NHL anyway.

Absolutely, which pushes this draft into A+ territory as far as I'm concerned. Instead of going for the safe picks; players who stand a good chance of becoming third/fourth liners, Murray took the gamble at higher-ceiling/higher-risk prospects and I think that's a great strategy. If I'm not mistaken, that's one way Detroit built up their dynasty.

Restocking the Cupboard: Tim Murray’s First Draft With the Buffalo Sabres

General Manager Tim Murray put his stamp on the Buffalo Sabres rebuild with a plethora of picks in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. The Sabres have stockpiled picks in this year’s and next year’s draft to add to the club’s arsenal of young talent. After a trade with the Washington Capitals in the second round, the Sabres amassed a total of six picks in the first three rounds of this year’s draft putting the club in a great spot to build towards the future.

This year’s draft was held in Philadelphia and there was no love lost between Flyers’ fans and Sabres’ fans at the top of the draft. After the City of Brotherly Love serenaded NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman with a chorus of boos, Sabres GM Tim Murray wasted no time in announcing the Sabres’ first round draft pick, which was the second overall in the draft. Many took to twitter to praise Murray’s no nonsense approach to the draft and this would set the tone for the club’s upcoming picks.

While the Sabres’ picks will likely spend the better part of next season developing, the players that GM Tim Murray brought into the system have a lot of promise. Fans may find themselves growing frustrated with the team’s performance this coming season. Be that as it may, with the club’s stockpile of talent makes the future appear to be very bright.

In addition, with three picks in the first round of the 2015 NHL Entry Draft the Sabres will continue to add to the talent pool next summer. If the cupboard of talent comes to fruition, the Sabres are poised to be perennial contenders in the NHL in the not-so-distant future. Here is a look at the players that the Sabres have added to the organizational depth charts during the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.

The biggest winners of NHL draft weekend

3. Buffalo Sabres: The Sabres drafted center Sam Reinhart No. 2 and he could end up playing among the team's top six forwards next season.

Plus, second-round picks Brendan Lemieux, son of Claude Lemieux, and Eric Cornel were rated as first-round picks on some lists. It's like they landed three first-round picks.

Lemieux had added value because he is a disruptive presence on the ice, just as his father was. He will be excruciatingly painful to play against.

The Sabres are putting together a strong collection of young talented players. They are going to be struggling Sabres for another season and a half and then they are going to be like the Chicago Blackhawks.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

ESPN Draft Grade on Sabres-A

Buffalo Sabres | GRADE: A

2014 draft class

Round Overall Player Position PDR* 1 2 Sam Reinhart C 4 2 31 Brendan Lemieux LW 53 2 44 Eric Cornel C 39 2 49 Vaclav Karabacek RW 50 3 61 Jonas Johansson G 7G** 3 74 Brycen Martin D 54 5 121 Maxwell Willman C 168 6 151 Christopher Brown C 196 7 181 Victor Olofsson RW NR *PDR: Corey Pronman's pre-draft ranking. ** Goalies ranked separately.

buf.gif

Top Pick: Sam Reinhart is the best pure passer in the draft class. His ability to dictate tempo elevates his game to a distinct level. Reinhart can make all kinds of plays with the puck, and his elite hockey sense stands out regularly. He has average size but will work hard in battles for the puck. Some of the skills that distinguish Reinhart are his smart play in the defensive zone and his ability to shut down opposing top players, and he is an asset on the penalty kill.

Day 2 picks: Lemieux is a very strong winger who is physical and intense every shift. He is an above-average skater, though I've gotten mixed reviews from scouts on that area of his game. He isn't an overly skilled player, but he's decent offensively, with good instincts. Lemieux needs to work on reigning in his emotions and not taking bad penalties, which he does often. ... Cornel is a skilled puck-possession forward with top-six upside at the NHL level. As with many skilled prospects, he can try to do too much on the ice, turning the puck over. He works hard, but his off-puck reads and value are underwhelming. Cornel needs to bulk up, and isn't the best in the physical game. ... Karabacek controls the puck with some flashy skills, and good overall instincts and decision making. His shot has developed well, as he gets the puck off his stick quickly and with accuracy. His size (5-foot-11, 185 lbs) is a limitation, but not to the same degree as some of the other skilled forwards on this list. ... Johansson is the kind of goalie who doesn't move very much in the net, but takes away shooting space with his angles. He can be effective taking away second chances. Scouts are split on his athletic skills, with some saying he's good in that area and others saying he doesn't wow them as much when he has to move a lot. His reads and reactions are solid to above average. ... Martin's first-pass and transition game get praise from NHL sources. Martin is a clear above-average skater with solid to above-average puck skills. He's a physical player who leans on his checks and battles well. Martin can be fine in his own end, and while he'll still make the odd mistake typical of players his age, he understands the game defensively. He doesn't really stand out in any area. ... Max Willman is a bit of a late bloomer, but he's certainly toolsy. Willman can skate, and has above-average puck possession tools. The Brown commit is a bit of a project, but he's an intriguing upside pick. ... Chris Brown has intrigued some scouts with his above-average skating and puck skills. He plays in Michigan high school though, which is a pretty low level of play though and has made it tough to evaluate him.

Summary: With Reinhart the Sabres' depth down the middle in young players is elite currently. They added a bunch of talent after Reinhart, adding several top forward prospects and a former top prospect in Brycen Martin who has been up and down in the WHL. There were no pluggers, and even though Lemieux is a physical player, he has offense to his game too. They have an elite farm system, and after today, you need a really convincing argument to say they don't have the best pipeline in the NHL.--Pronman

Organizational assessment: The Sabres used this draft to continue their trawl of the hockey talent ocean, adding the highly-talented center Sam Reinhart in the first round to go along with five other picks in the subsequent two rounds. With probably the best prospect pipeline in the NHL and oodles of cap space, the Sabres are poised to rapidly scale the NHL standings ladder in the near future. Grade: A+--Provenzano

Linden Vey for a 2nd round pick? Would he not have been a better addition than Cornel or Karabacek?

I don't understand taking a 4th liner in Lemiuex, instead of the #1 goalie?

Or taking Karabacek and Cornel, when McKeown was still on the board? Or taking the goalie while Anton Karlsson was still there?

(Those are my only gripes about this entire draft...let's get Donald Audette's boy in here now!)

All of your takes are based on supposition and opinion. If your opinion is _______, fine but should you really be discrediting an organization because their opinions didn't align with your?

All of your takes are based on supposition and opinion. If your opinion is _______, fine but should you really be discrediting an organization because their opinions didn't align with your?

This.

Nothing against Malooga and a host of other amateur scouts on this board but I'll put my chips on the pro scouts and G.M. that work for the Sabres.

I was a little underwhelmed by this draft. I like Reinhardt and Lemieux. The goalie seems like he was taken a little early and missing out on Barbashev and Karlsson seems like a mistake. That being said, we all know and it was said after the first 20 or so this draft is a crap shoot, so who knows.

I like the idea of taking a couple high schoolers late, especially the kid with those serious numbers (Christopher Brown: sixth round (No. 151) who scored 84 points, including 58 assists, in just 28 games.) Granted none of the previous HSers have really panned out, so who knows.

This draft was hard to gauge and still appears to be. Was curious so little movement, maybe because this draft was average and from a Sabre standpoint, there was too much hype. GMs may have been gun shy about giving Sabres too much especially with 3 no 1s next year. Oh well get ready to suffer for another year... This sucks.... best we can do is enjoy the pain.

Edited by Icehole

I was happy that a person named Darcy Regier was not there calling the shots. I'll admit, I know next to nothing about the OHL or WHL or whereever they come from. I have complete confidence that Tim Murray is a smart guy who does the best with what he has and will pick his kind of players and not the kind of players we've been getting for the last 17 years.

I was a little underwhelmed by this draft. I like Reinhardt and Lemieux. The goalie seems like he was taken a little early and missing out on Barbashev and Karlsson seems like a mistake. That being said, we all know and it was said after the first 20 or so this draft is a crap shoot, so who knows.

I like the idea of taking a couple high schoolers late, especially the kid with those serious numbers (Christopher Brown: sixth round (No. 151) who scored 84 points, including 58 assists, in just 28 games.) Granted none of the previous HSers have really panned out, so who knows.

This draft was hard to gauge and still appears to be. Was curious so little movement, maybe because this draft was average and from a Sabre standpoint, there was too much hype. GMs may have been gun shy about giving Sabres too much especially with 3 no 1s next year. Oh well get ready to suffer for another year... This sucks.... best we can do is enjoy the pain.

Hey Phil Housley did o.k. for a highschooler.

"Discrediting?" If that is what you want to call it, seems that's about all that goes on here...but, I call it asking questions to gauge opinions of others.

I came to a Buffalo Sabres hockey message board, to talk Buffalo Sabres hockey and ask questions...didn't realize that was not allowed, my bad.

I was a little underwhelmed by this draft. I like Reinhardt and Lemieux. The goalie seems like he was taken a little early and missing out on Barbashev and Karlsson seems like a mistake.

Dude, don't "discredit" the team here! Lol. :P

Edited by Bob Malooga

• 6 months later...

The WJC provides a first indicator on how teams drafted. Now this indicator isn't perfect, since a team could choose 7 German's, have 7 players in the WJC without any prospects, additionally, the WJC teams have a high rate of 5'9" forwards, and some players aren't available, like Bennett and Draisaitl, but many of the good teams top this list, so I give it some value.

Red Wings 15 Larkin

106 Ehn

166 Vahatalov

196 Holmstrom

Blues 21 Fabbri

33 Barbashev

94 Husso

Lightning 19 DeAngelo

35 Masin

79 Point

Predators 11 Fiala

42 Kamenev

132 Lyytinen

Sharks 27 Goldobin

46 Bergman

53 Rod

Canucks 6 Virtanen

36 Demko

126 Forsling

Rangers 59 Halverson

118 Shestyorkin

Sabres 2 Reinhart

181 Olofsson

Ducks 10 Richie

205 Kase

Wild 18 Tuch

109 Kahkonen

Hurricanes 37 Nedeljkovic

97 Wallmark

Kings 29 Kempe

60 Lintuniemi

Blue Jackets 16 Milano

47 Collins

Jets 9 Ehlers

99 De Leo

Capitals 13 Vrana

39 Vanecek

Islanders 78 Sorokin

95 Soderstrom

Leafs 8 Nylander

68 Valiyev

Stars 14 Honka

Penguins 22 Kapanen

Canadiens 55 Lehkonen

Blackhawks 20 Smaltz

Bruins 25 Pastrnak

Senators 40 Englund

Oilers 91 Lagesson

Coyotes 87 Karlsson

Flyers 138 Lindblom

How would my draft board have compared?

Let's say the Buffalo Sabres had used my draft board in 2014, it's at http://www.limedata.us/blog/b40.php

Conclusion

Buffalo's board at 2: Reinhart or Bennett

Second round: Holmstrom, Glover, Engvall, Sanheim, Kempe, Point

Third round: Kirkland, Iverson, Mayo, Amadio, Bristedt, Kontos, Tkachev, Gunnarsson, Wood

At 2 they would have picked Reinhart(USA) or Bennett

At 31 they would have picked the only player (of 17) not expected to be available at 31, Barbashev(Russia)

At 44 Holmstrom (SWE)

49 Glover

61 Engvall

Sanheim and Kempe drafted in first round

74 Point (Canada)

Kirklank drafted at 62

Iverson drafted at 85

121 Mayo

Amadio drafted at 90

151 Bristedt (SWE)

181 Kontos

That's 5 of 9, but mapping them against many teams would leave 3 of say 7, because I only get Point if the team had 6 picks before Tampa at pick 79, and not everyone had a shot at Barbashev

Edited by rakish

Interesting read rakish. I think you and I both agree that the principle you use for drafting is very sound.

Still mad we don't have two of Kempe, Barbashev, Kirkland

Thanks liger

Part 2 of this series will be how each team drafted using my system did. What jumps out at me so far is that Nashville and surprisingly Winnipeg know what they are doing, but that will be a week or so

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.