Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Article on Sam Reinhart: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=685953

It sounds as if Sam is a very mature player with good 2way instincts and a high hockey sense. Sounds like the blue chip guy we all want to be honest. He won't dazzle you but he will work hard every shift and get things done. Last season he had 35g and 50a in the WHL. Currently this season he has 5g 11a and is tied for 2nd in points in the league. He has a Nov 95 birthday so he will be one of the older players at this draft.

I should add that Reinhart has 7g 14a for 21points in 10 games... the article is a few days old.

Article on Sam Reinhart: http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=685953

It sounds as if Sam is a very mature player with good 2way instincts and a high hockey sense. Sounds like the blue chip guy we all want to be honest. He won't dazzle you but he will work hard every shift and get things done. Last season he had 35g and 50a in the WHL. Currently this season he has 5g 11a and is tied for 2nd in points in the league. He has a Nov 95 birthday so he will be one of the older players at this draft.

I should add that Reinhart has 7g 14a for 21points in 10 games... the article is a few days old.

Great idea. Let's all fall in love with Sam Reinhart. That should really pay off when we draft about 5-6 spots after he's gone. :(

I wish this wasn't seen as one of the weakest drafts for the past 2 decades. Typical Sabres, completely sucking the year nothing but scraps is available, allowing us to become just good enough to miss out on Connor McDavid

Hold up a second. This years draft is not as deep as last years but there are a lot of good solid guys available. Guys that will be top line players.

Oscar Lindblom for instance

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=86181

Great idea. Let's all fall in love with Sam Reinhart. That should really pay off when we draft about 5-6 spots after he's gone. :(

Wouldn't that be the Sabres luck to :)

Come in dead last lose the lottery, pick 4th over all

Come in dead last next season, lose the lottery pick 7th overall

Come in dead last the following season, lose the lottery pick 3rd overall (hey, were getting closer)

:w00t:

Come in dead last the following season, lose the lottery pick 3rd overall (hey, were getting closer)

If the Sabres come in dead last, the worst they can do is 2nd overall.

Although I see MattPie beat me to it... :doh:

I wish this wasn't seen as one of the weakest drafts for the past 2 decades. Typical Sabres, completely sucking the year nothing but scraps is available, allowing us to become just good enough to miss out on Connor McDavid

They said that a couple years ago too. Would anyone here be upset with Alex Galchenyuk on the team as our 1C of the future?

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Reinhart, Virtanen and Dal Colle really interest me.

Dal Colle

http://www.elitepros...p?player=152047

http://www.hockeyfig...com/news/189337

I've been to quite a few Generals games over the past couple of seasons and Dal Colle looks like a good prospect. He finds a way to score timely goals. He's got something like 16 points in 10 games so far this year.

So... I don't think it's too soon for this. Figured we could start soon, so more posters will know about the future picks of the Sabres.

Also, if you have a twitter, follow Kris Baker (https://twitter.com/SabresProspects). Always tweets stuff on the draft such as:

Kris Baker@SabresProspects9m

Draft stuff: Reinhart no goals last five (13gp 7-16-23), Perlini pts in 11/12 (12gp 12-14-26), Dal Colle 8-game pt streak (12gp 8-11-19)

Right now the first pick of the draft would likely be Sam Reinhart if we had it (youngest brother of Max/Griffin). A few good reads on him:

http://fansided.com/...t-kootenay-ice/

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=685953

Other possibilities: William Nylander (son of Michael), Aaron Ekblad (d-man so unlikely at the top for us).

Edited by DStebb

Ah shoot. Hiding on the second page. Assuming a merge is on its way. I hope some other fans can get a bit more excited and into the discussion. Sabres haven't had a top 5 pick since '03 (Vanek) or a top 3 since '87 (Turgeon). The only silver lining I can find is these facts.

I love draft talk but how freaking depressing is it that we need to start this discussion in October?

However I have complete confidence that the idiotic Sabres will win 13 of their last 20 games and end up with the 7th pick in the draft. Because we all know that's what Buffalo does.

I love draft talk but how freaking depressing is it that we need to start this discussion in October?

However I have complete confidence that the idiotic Sabres will win 13 of their last 20 games and end up with the 7th pick in the draft. Because we all know that's what Buffalo does.

It would be a lot more interesting if the reward for our tanking was a little more substantial. I am not going to pretend to be a draft expert but it looks like the prize will be a solid player but no sure fire star.

Kris Baker@SabresProspects9m

Draft stuff: Reinhart no goals last five (13gp 7-16-23), Perlini pts in 11/12 (12gp 12-14-26), Dal Colle 8-game pt streak (12gp 8-11-19)

This is the first I'm seeing Perlini mentioned alongside guys like Reinhart and Dal Colle. I guess he's earned it with his ridiculous start.

Let the merge commence!

Shhh don't tell anyone this but the Sabres aren't drafting 1st overall unless they win the lottery. I can easily see this team drafting 5-7th... they are very quietly becoming a real team... mums the word.

I don't know LGR. I admit that I only watched about half of the Colorado game as it was the first Saturday Sabres game night in awhile that I didn't feel the need to tune into from start to finish. Having said that, I thought they were thoroughly outplayed, again. I do like some of the young pieces coming along and think Girgs and our D have a very bright future but we're getting outplayed badly in most games. In past years when the Sabres made those late runs there were signs earlier in the season that the team was atleast competitive. I don't see that with this team and if/when Miller and Vanek go, we're really going to be in trouble. I honestly believe we're finishing in the bottom 3 which means the worst we could pick is 4th. Time will tell.

Shhh don't tell anyone this but the Sabres aren't drafting 1st overall unless they win the lottery. I can easily see this team drafting 5-7th... they are very quietly becoming a real team... mums the word.

They looked foolish against Vancouver, and had one solid period against the Avs. I wouldn't say they're looking like a "real team" by any means. Then you factor in the fact that talent will be moving out near the deadline.

I like talking about it even if we're playing well. The conversation is just a little different. More about guys in the middle/end of the first than the guys at the top. I just enjoy the draft and the process of it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.