Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Just a thought here, but is there any chance that the NHL expands to 32 teams in 2015, and if they did, how does that work for the draft?

Main concern would be that it would be the most Buffalo thing in the world to be the worst team in the league next year by a wide margin, but then miss out on BOTH mcdavid and eichel because the league added two new teams and they get the #1 and #2 picks...

Not sure if that's even possible, but man that would really grind my gears. And the nhl would love it as it sets up the 2 new franchises with definite franchise players to build around and would generate excitement

Edited by sabre snipe

Just a thought here, but is there any chance that the NHL expands to 32 teams in 2015, and if they did, how does that work for the draft?

Main concern would be that it would be the most Buffalo thing in the world to be the worst team in the league next year by a wide margin, but then miss out on BOTH mcdavid and eichel because the league added two new teams and they get the #1 and #2 picks...

Not sure if that's even possible, but man that would really grind my gears. And the nhl would love it as it sets up the 2 new franchises with definite franchise players to build around and would generate excitement

It would take longer than one year to get expansion teams unless they already have an arena ready.

Well we're 9 back of Calgary with a game in hand after our 1 point effort and a Flames win last night. I'm still gunning for 1st overall pick but if not I need to be in the top 3. For that to happen we can only end up in 2nd last. Let's start (keep?) cheering for Calgary wins. Which Sam will it be fellas?

As an aside, I have been to several Gens games this year and love Dal Colle, but from what I've read and highlights I've seen, it's one of the two Sam's that this team needs. After a season like this that we've (dare I say) suffered through, only one of the Sam's will be satisfactory.

Well we're 9 back of Calgary with a game in hand after our 1 point effort and a Flames win last night. I'm still gunning for 1st overall pick but if not I need to be in the top 3. For that to happen we can only end up in 2nd last. Let's start (keep?) cheering for Calgary wins. Which Sam will it be fellas?

As an aside, I have been to several Gens games this year and love Dal Colle, but from what I've read and highlights I've seen, it's one of the two Sam's that this team needs. After a season like this that we've (dare I say) suffered through, only one of the Sam's will be satisfactory.

Then it's settled; we shall draft 4th overall. Or maybe 6th. :sick:

Will Sam Bennett most likely be a winger or center at the NHL level?

It is still to early to tell but Bennett from what I have read should be a 2nd maybe 1st line NHL center when all is said and done. It really depends on what he looks like on NHL nice.

It would take more than one year to get that worked out and how those new teams draft would be determined by the owners and league when expansion was agreed to. Most likely scenario would be they would get lottery balls, but how many or how the odds would work, is something that would be agreed to in the expansion deal.

There will not be expansion by 2015. Earliest expansion date if they started talks now would be maybe 2016 but most likely 2017.

Assuming we lose Miller, and Scrivens provides a solid goal-minder for the Oiler's, are people here confident that we can secure a top 2 pick in the 2015 draft? If the Isle's lose Vanek, I think them, the Panthers, Devils, and the Flames might be the only people we have to contend with.

I'd be shocked if the Oiler's didn't get Ekbland this draft, and with Scrivens and a possible trade deadline/offseason move to acquire a d-man I think they'll be much better next year.

The Devils could lose Jagr, who's by far their best offensive producer this season (probably their best player truly), as well as Brodeur, so I think a top 3 pick in the 2015 draft will be coming their way. I know they have Schneider, and his stats are better, but I can't believe losing such a presence in Marty will be helpful.

Who's that dear in your avatar?

Megan Fox.

Not eligible until 2015 as we all know, but I'll put this here:

WGR: 1/30 Sherry Bassin, Erie Otters GM, talks McDavid <15:14>

Very insightful discussion on McDavid, who the Sabres will hopefully be fortunate enough to get and make all of this we are enduring misery worthwhile.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Not eligible until 2015 as we all know, but I'll put this here:

WGR: 1/30 Sherry Bassin, Erie Otters GM, talks McDavid <15:14>

Very insightful discussion on MCDavid, who the Sabres will hopefully be fortunate enough to get and make all of this we are enduring misery worthwhile.

Photo mentioned:

2013-02-17-connor-mcdavid2-4_3.jpg

winger

Might be. Hard to tell. It is one of the reasons Reinhart is more appealing in certain regards. (Yes I have advocated for Bennett over Reinhart etc... but if scouts decide Bennett is a LW not a NHL C, we need to go Center no doubt.)

Here is some more on Reinhart

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2014/1/17/5318718/2014-nhl-draft-sam-reinhart-profile

Might be. Hard to tell. It is one of the reasons Reinhart is more appealing in certain regards. (Yes I have advocated for Bennett over Reinhart etc... but if scouts decide Bennett is a LW not a NHL C, we need to go Center no doubt.)

Here is some more on Reinhart

http://www.onthefore...einhart-profile

why? how many centers do we need? why not just take BFA best forward available.....

Name them. Name the 3-4 centers in the Buffalo Sabres system who have a great shot at being 1 or 2.

1. Mikhail Grigorenko Pro 7.5 B 2. Zemgus Girgensons Pro 6.5 B 3. Johan Larsson Pro 6.5 B 4. JT Compher NCAA 6.5

C

Hodgson

also while grabbing that our number one strength on hockeys future is DEPTH AT CENTER

Edited by FolignosJock

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.