Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I thought after reading this article about Sam Reinhart and links to lists of other prospects it is not to early to start speculating.

Given the likely condition of the Buffalo Sabres next year to start following these guys and getting a sense of what might fit next year's draft.

Lets hope the Sabres qualify for a high draft pick or picks depending on Miller and Vanek's situations.

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=677279

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=677281

Edited by North Buffalo

So, we've already written off the 2013-2014 season and have gone straight to next years draft. Sounds about right. (Less suffering that way...)

:lol:

The Sabres have successfully set my expectations. I'm tried of seeing teams that are OK and never get top-5 draft picks. I'm fully on-board with a horrible season and some high picks.

I thought after reading this article about Sam Reinhart and links to lists of other prospects it is not to early to start speculating.

It is early and some things may change, but i have a hard time believing this stance will change for the Sabres: Sam Reinhart or Leon Draisaitl or bust.

Draisaitl

Edited by Vanek-Man

Trying to stay positive. P.S. Sneaky Pete's son Dominic is eligible and so is Daniel Audette, Donald Audette's son.

Donald Audette's SON???

My gosh, I must be old. I remember getting Audette's autograph when I was a kid and he was a prospect with Rochester.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well if the start is any indication we could draft fairly high... of course we have been known to go on late season runs to nowhere. Anyways, Reinhart and Bennett I find very interesting and Bennett is growing on me. He plays in the OHL, his b-day is june 06 versus Reinharts Nov 05. He could stand to add some weight but again he is 17 so that will come. He has a good size for an NHL center at 6ft... we shall wait and watch with this guy.

Next player I am interested in is Jake Virtanen... Virtanen is a "physically punishing forward who skates really well," reports Placzek (Scout). "He goes to the net with abandon, and scores a lot inside the circles." This kid is 6'1" 191lbs and currently project to be around in the 2nd round... but when you could add a center in the 2nd who could be Foligno like... well then that might be worth doing.

Finally Leon Draisaitl

Well if the start is any indication we could draft fairly high... of course we have been known to go on late season runs to nowhere. Anyways, Reinhart and Bennett I find very interesting and Bennett is growing on me. He plays in the OHL, his b-day is june 06 versus Reinharts Nov 05. He could stand to add some weight but again he is 17 so that will come. He has a good size for an NHL center at 6ft... we shall wait and watch with this guy.

Next player I am interested in is Jake Virtanen... Virtanen is a "physically punishing forward who skates really well," reports Placzek (Scout). "He goes to the net with abandon, and scores a lot inside the circles." This kid is 6'1" 191lbs and currently project to be around in the 2nd round... but when you could add a center in the 2nd who could be Foligno like... well then that might be worth doing.

Finally Leon Draisaitl

Is it All-Star weekend already? That was quick.

Is it All-Star weekend already? That was quick.

Lol, no All Star weekend this year but I am finally ready to start looking at prospects again. Reinhart is most likely going to be the #1 guy this year. It looks to be the year of Scoring Wingers and most of those guys have decent size. Should be interesting going forward but not much to get super excited about yet. Should really start getting interesting in January when midterm rankings come out. Those are usually 1-2 spots away from final rankings and should give us a good idea of where these guys stack up.

Also keep and eye on Jared McCann... his compete is something I love and scouts say he is much better than his last season stat line suggests.

O and 1 more note about this draft, several of the top guys are young (late 96 b-days) and that means that they may turn into better players than we could imagine considering their youth.

Example from last draft: Risto Oct 94 v. Zadorov April 95. My guess is that if Zadorov had 6 more months of play he could have possibly been drafted higher than Risto and may actually turn into the better player.

Edited by LGR4GM

No doubt he has a lot to offer. I just want my Perreault, Gretzky, Lemieux, or Crosby.

Is that asking too much?

GO SABRES!!!

Which is precisely why I wanted the Sabres to tank this past season. It was a short season, we knew we sucked, the draft was fantastic, and it had generational talent available as late as 3-4th pick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.