Sunshine and Kittens

SwampD

As someone usually in the press box for Team Stormcloud, let's hear what you think are positives for this team. Think only happy thoughts in this thread. It's a rebuild. We know there will be bad. Let's talk about the good.

Opening at Detroit, then Otwa's first game, then at the Pens after playing a tough game the night before,… not making excuses but that's a tough start for a young team.

I saw Grigorenko set up three shots on goal in the first period alone against the Pens.

Girgensons is going to be a stud. He is physical, uses his body very well to protect the puck and create.

I don't know in which order, but I could see these two being our 1/2 centers in the future.

While Stafford isn't lighting it up offensively, he is a really solid player at times. If he can turn it up just a little bit he will be really good.

There is more but I'll let others take over. I should also say that I haven't seen this floating that others have seen. Not everyone should be on top of the puck. This isn't broom ball where everyone on the ice is clumped together hacking at it. You need someone "just standing" there to outlet pass to or watch the other opposing players, who are also waiting for a pass.

Remember, only happy thoughts.

Goaltending has been stellar.

Very strong effort from the second half of the Redwings game to the beginning of the Pens game. I mention this because youngsters often have a tendency to hang their heads when things aren't going well and that can really compound the problem. But I saw good compete and I think that's something to build on in the absence of other tangible things.

GO SABRES!!!

I've said in the recent past, and I'll repeat it, this season is about watching the young players in our organization develop.

I am excited to see how Girgenson, Pysyk, Risto and Larsson develop this year. I am cautiously optimistic that a high risk, high reward pick, Grigorenko, will continue to improve. I am beginning to think, no, believe, that Enroth is becoming a bonafide NHL starter. I expect that Hodgson will prove he is a reliable top 2 line center. I am anxious to see how Foligno progresses.

Tons of young players. Enroth and Hackett in net. Weber, Myers, Pysyk, Risto on D. Larsson, Girgs, Grigs, Foligno among our forwards. That is a huge amount of young players on the team. And more than half are the kind of players we have begged for in the past.

This team might suck on the scoresheet this year but there is lots to occupy my attention in a positive way. Its weird, I've been called a member of TSC in the past but I feel downright bullish on the group of kids I listed above. If most develop as hoped I think there will be a solid group to build around.

I've said in the recent past, and I'll repeat it, this season is about watching the young players in our organization develop.

I am excited to see how Girgenson, Pysyk, Risto and Larsson develop this year. I am cautiously optimistic that a high risk, high reward pick, Grigorenko, will continue to improve. I am beginning to think, no, believe, that Enroth is becoming a bonafide NHL starter. I expect that Hodgson will prove he is a reliable top 2 line center. I am anxious to see how Foligno progresses.

Tons of young players. Enroth and Hackett in net. Weber, Myers, Pysyk, Risto on D. Larsson, Girgs, Grigs, Foligno among our forwards. That is a huge amount of young players on the team. And more than half are the kind of players we have begged for in the past.

This team might suck on the scoresheet this year but there is lots to occupy my attention in a positive way. Its weird, I've been called a member of TSC in the past but I feel downright bullish on the group of kids I listed above. If most develop as hoped I think there will be a solid group to build around.

Pretty much all this stuff. And if we're expanding "Sunshine and Kittens" beyond the actual Sabres roster, I like following the prospects: all the guys we drafted this year and Catenacci in Rochester.

The team sucks, but the future doesn't have to. I'd still feel better if we had one legit blue chip prospect up front in the organization because I'm not super bullish on Grigorenko. If we'd have been lucky enough to grab Lindholm at the draft in June, I'd say we have all the pieces already.

I was going to post but then you said it all. :thumbsup:

All of the above players mentioned are reason for sunshine. Add to that list the 3-4 additional high draft picks the Sabres will obtain for Miller and Vanek, and we will soon be rooting for a team similar to the Penguins. A great deal of quality talent all developing at the same time. The future is bright, but this season is going to be painful.

I just hope they can get the top pick instead of 8 - 15 like they usually do. They need a true superstar from the TOP of the draft.

Certainly the young prospects on our team are enough to keep me watching the Sabres; however, I have to say Professor Rolston is growing on me.

He may turn out to be exactly what this team needs.

The professor has 82 games to teach this team what it is to "play the right way", and I am looking forward to seeing how that turns out.

Let's Go Buffalo!

As most posters can agree, Zemgus appears to be a stud, with the very real possibility to be the captain of this team when the rebuild begins to come full circle.

I'm also very happy with the stable off d prospects that Darcy has built up the last few years. Defensemen take longer than forwards to develop, so ideally Ristolinen, Zadarov, McCabe and Pysyk will all get their feet wet now. As they go through their growing pains, the team will end up with top 3-5 picks the next couple years, and that's where the first line forward talent well come from.

If first line forward talent can be acquired in the next 2 drafts, all the other forwards on this team can be slotted where they can thrive.

The Minnesota Wild and Los Angles Kings are off to slow starts this season. If they tank this year it raises the value of the 2nd round picks we got from them.

LOL! I gotta give you major style points, DeLuca. I know it wasn't easy coming up with anything for this thread, but that's a major league effort. And I hope it pans out that way.

GO SABRES!!!

Good post.

Pretty much all this stuff. And if we're expanding "Sunshine and Kittens" beyond the actual Sabres roster, I like following the prospects: all the guys we drafted this year and Catenacci in Rochester.

The team sucks, but the future doesn't have to. I'd still feel better if we had one legit blue chip prospect up front in the organization because I'm not super bullish on Grigorenko. If we'd have been lucky enough to grab Lindholm at the draft in June, I'd say we have all the pieces already.

The 2 skilled forward prospects they have -- Griggy and Armia -- haven't shown much yet. It would be nice if there were 3-4 other similar possibilities in the pipeline so we could feel optimistic about this year's scoring constipation not being a chronic condition.

It will be interesting to see how Nichushkin develops in Dallas and to compare him with Risto over the years.

One word can describe my happy thoughts on this team and it is Zemgus

Boom!

LOL! I gotta give you major style points, DeLuca. I know it wasn't easy coming up with anything for this thread, but that's a major league effort. And I hope it pans out that way.

GO SABRES!!!

It's easier than you would think.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned that the Sabres are one of only seven teams yet to give up a power play goal. They have killed off 14:38 in penalties against what should be three of the more talented power play units they will see this season.

Also,

The Sabres have drawn the third most penalties (13) in the league thus far spending a total of 21:53 on the power play which includes an NHL best three 5 on 3 opportunities totaling 2:45.

They have killed off 14:38 in penalties against what should be three of the more talented power play units they will see this season.

Also,

The Sabres have drawn the third most penalties (13) in the league thus far spending a total of 21:53 on the power play which includes an NHL best three 5 on 3 opportunities totaling 2:45.

Also, they've killed off 21:53 of power play time without giving up a shorthanded goal!

Archived