"We Always Loved the Sabres" World Premiere!

PASabreFan

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

What was that Billy Joel song.....Summer Falls (sadness or euphoria)?

it would be a hard one to cover though. :)

Summer Highland Falls. Actually saw him play that live. Friggin' awesome. (It was his 'we are not lip-syncing like MilliVanilli' song of that night. The next night it was a far more mainstream song ("Honesty"). Both excellent songs, but hearing the one most people hadn't heard of played live was cooler. Rootbeer Rag was the song he did like that the 1st time I saw him. 1st show back in NYS at the end of a long tour. He was on that night in the Aud.

I've never heard that. I think we could do Piano Man, Still Rock'n Roll, or Moving Out

They say that these are not the best of times, (but) they're the only times I've ever known.

our reason coexists with our insanity, though we choose between reality and madness, it's either sadness or euphoria.

Edited by Taro T

Summer Highland Falls. Actually saw him play that live. Friggin' awesome. (It was his 'we are not lip-syncing like MilliVanilli' song of that night. The next night it was a far more mainstream song ("Honesty"). Both excellent songs, but hearing the one most people hadn't heard of played live was cooler. Rootbeer Rag was the song he did like that the 1st time I saw him. 1st show back in NYS at the end of a long tour. He was on that night in the Aud.

They say that these are not the best of times, (but) they're the only times I've ever known.

our reason coexists with our insanity, though we choose between reality and madness, it's either sadness or euphoria.

Good stuff. Maybe we was envisioning SabreSpace. "So we'll argue and we'll compromise and realize that nothing's ever changed."

Billy has said the inspiration for that song was, of course, breaking up with someone, but also he had moved upstate a bit from the city and was going a little crazy in the quiet, wide open spaces with the sound of crickets in the air.

This really is quality stuff - the sound file/soundcloud post that started the thread. Kudos, again.

Swamp and I have discussed how clunky the ending is. (The final lyrics, not Ted and Rick.) Part of it is Grigorenko being there... yuck. I know what I was shooting for. A string of disturbing references... Jochen Hecht, hole in net, Hull, slug, Dudacek, followed by... HOPE! Everytime I think I'm  out, they suck me right back in. I wonder if there's a name we could replace Grigorenko with? Hmmm. Actually, not sure why I went with Hecht. Poor guy. There wasn't anything wrong with him. He just came to represent stuff. Ville Leino, for the love of God. Ville Leino. It works. The problem is Swamp is asking for 100 grand per change. It ain't happenin', friend.

Swamp and I have discussed how clunky the ending is. (The final lyrics, not Ted and Rick.) Part of it is Grigorenko being there... yuck. I know what I was shooting for. A string of disturbing references... Jochen Hecht, hole in net, Hull, slug, Dudacek, followed by... HOPE! Everytime I think I'm  out, they suck me right back in. I wonder if there's a name we could replace Grigorenko with? Hmmm. Actually, not sure why I went with Hecht. Poor guy. There wasn't anything wrong with him. He just came to represent stuff. Ville Leino, for the love of God. Ville Leino. It works. The problem is Swamp is asking for 100 grand per change. It ain't happenin', friend.

I was actually just thinking about making those changes you sent me

Goodbye seven, empty wing, hockey heaven, suffering

Ville Leino, hole in net, Hull, slug, Dudacek

LaFontaine back out the door, Sabres 3 Coyotes 4

Jack Eichel shoots he scores, I can't take it anymore

Gotta get rid of that Grigorenko line.

Oh, and thanks for picking the highest part of the song to redo. :lol:

Edited by SwampD

I was actually just thinking about making those changes you sent me

Goodbye seven, empty wing, hockey heaven, suffering

Ville Leino, hole in net, Hull, slug, Dudacek

LaFontaine back out the door, Sabres 3 Coyotes 4

Jack Eichel shoots he scores, I can't take it anymore

Gotta get rid of that Grigorenko line.

Oh, and thanks for picking the highest part of the song to redo. :lol:

I'm a writer. Copy and paste is easy!

The other things that bug me — and we're not changing these; diamonds have perfections — are putting blizzard before 12-6 (Blizzard of 77 followed that Soviet game in 76) and Boogie Man's big nose (Boughner didn't have a big nose, but I'm almost certain at some point someone broke it, and it was a thing). Another possible boo boo is putting Number Four's Helmet Kiss circa 98-99 when I'm pretty sure it was actually the 01 playoff run when Warrener kissed Hasek's helmet after every win. It was so hard to rhyme some of those lines, I think I deserve some slack/creative license!

• 6 years later...

Over eight years later, a new version. Sadly, other than adding Eichel and Dahlin at the end, Dahlin representing the new promising future, there wasn't anything of note to add in terms of franchise highlights.

The beginning is revamped, as well as the mid 70s stanza. The negative, snarky ending is gone with bits of streams of consciousness, mostly positive and nostalgic, added, while retaining some edge and sadness.

Notable additions are Norty Knox and Rene Robert, who were only subtly referenced in the original, Golisano, Ryan Miller, Eichel and Dahlin. Notable deletions include Hull, the captains and the very forgettable Grigorenko. Dudacek is gone, sorry @dudacek.

Overall, quite a bit has changed. Hopefully some of the rhymes are better. As much as I liked the original (and loved Swamp's vocals and arrangement), it didn't hold up well over time. I'm pretty sure this will only continue to exist as a poem and won't be turned into another song. I couldn't ask @SwampD to give me another gift of a lifetime (and that statement is not meant to entice him to do it). I suppose there are people I could hire, but @SDS's cautionary tale is top of mind. Certainly if anyone on this board has the musical chops to take it on, I'd love to hear from you. In my dreams it does exist as song with a cool YT video to boot.

This can continue to be edited/crowd-sourced, so if anyone has a suggestion, let me know.

We Always Loved the Sabres

Doctor Collins, Seymour Knox, Bob Swados, Norty Knox, Oakland Seals, Zeppelins, Sabres Buffalo

Clarence Campbell, Gil Perreault, Roger Crozier, Luc Nadeau, Punch and Dodo, Sundae Bafo, faceoff Beliveau

Gerry Meehan, Goyette, Ted Darling, Jeanneret, Christie, seats in the sky, and hip checks by Robitaille

French Connection, Aud streak, Buffalo's got a winning team, Thank you Sabres!, Thank you Sabres!, Tim Horton goodbye

We always loved the Sabres
When our hearts were churning
When our dreams were burning
No we didn't light it
And could never fight it

Tsujimoto, Danny Gare, Gary Bromley, fog, Robert, "We're gonna win that Stanley Cup", Bernie Parent

Floyd Smith, Soviets, Sabres play on Sliderex, "See ya Seymour!", Josh Guevremont

John Van Boxmeer, Schoeny shedding airport tears, Earl Howze, Foligno, Wowie Housley, Bobby O

Ellis, Colisee, Frankie Sauve, Chevrier, Bert retires, Bowman's fired, Sabres trade Barrasso

No we didn't light it
And could never fight it

Playoff drought, defector, Pizzutelli, jugular, May Day, We Want Ray, La La La La LaFontaine

Hannan from Jason Dawe, Jimmy Hoffa goal call, Aram Khachaturian, Farewell Auditorium

Randy Burridge, Barnaby, Jumbotron, Ojibwe, Boogie Man's big nose, melted cheese and nachos

Steve Shields, fans in love, Derek Plante off Tugnutt's glove, Dominator psycho, chaos in the Crossroads

No we didn't light it
And could never fight it

Lindy, Darcy, Fraser, Dom as Cosmo Kramer, Smehlik, Zhitnik, Klatt can't beat Dominik

Rolie's in and Rob Ray scores, Sabres win the Border War, Stu, Simonick, number 4's helmet kiss

Tool talk, Peca walks, Sabres owner shown on Fox, SHK, NRK, what else do I have to say?

No we didn't light it
And could never fight it

Larry Quinn, Bettman, blue and gold is back again, 7-6, Sausage, staphylococcus

Golisano, goalie brawl, Soupy, "Who Else?!", Goo Goo Dolls, Ryan Miller, Adam Mair, Sabres witness Colgan Air

Goodbye seven, empty wing, hockey heaven, suffering, Cookie Monster, sabrejak, King Kong, heart attack

Sabres win it fourteen-four, Eichel Tower, Montador, Rasmus Dahlin shoots he scores, I can't take it anymore

And when we are gone
They will skate on and on and on and on
And on and on and on and on…

No we didn't light it
And could never fight it

No we didn't light it
And could never fight it

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

11 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I'd appreciate it if no one mentioned that I revamped the song two and a half years ago and posted it in another thread and apparently forgot I did so.

It's my obsession. I'll be fine.

Early senility is something, though.

What are you talking about young man ??

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.