OT: East coast Road Trip

Trettioåtta

Sport and history are good topics. Kinda cultural stuff. We are going for a month. At the moment a bare plan is forming of going Boston to NYC to Philly to Washington to Virigina to North Carolina (out banks area?) to Savannah (my order might be wrong here, my geography breaks down around the south) maybe charleston eventually to Orlando then probably onto the I98 for a speedy return to the airport.

Is anything in Buffalo? Obviously Niagara is near but as the Sabres won't be playing and it isn't football season either (right? - July) is it worth a visit? I have been the before, but that was basically just for a Sabres game

You can't go wrong traveling along the South Carolina low country from Charleston and down into Savannah Georgia. St. Augustine Florida isn't too far away from Savannah and that's a jewel too.

Lots of history and beautiful scenery.

The ladies in Charleston are an extra added bonus.

Just don't forget to stop in Columbia SC to see the World's Biggest Kid.

If you like painting, the Metropolitan Museum in New York is my favorite, Guggenheim has novelty because of the building, but is tiny

Air and Space in DC is good

If you like baseball, I would see it in Boston

Niagara Falls is great

If you like auto racing, I would see the Daytona Nascar race or the Talledaga race, maybe Richmond

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge, from Brooklyn into the city,

Walk from the North end of Central Park to Wall Street

If you are allowed to climb the statue of liberty, you must be on the first boat of the day.

If there is a cuisine you can't get at home, you can find it in NY

In my neighborhood, Monticello is good. Yorktown gives you a good feeling of space, as does Appomattox, because these three are relatively the same as they were 200 years ago. Avoid Williamsburg

Beware the South during the summer

If you like painting, the Metropolitan Museum in New York is my favorite, Guggenheim has novelty because of the building, but is tiny

Air and Space in DC is good

If you like baseball, I would see it in Boston

Niagara Falls is great

If you like auto racing, I would see the Daytona Nascar race or the Talledaga race, maybe Richmond

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge, from Brooklyn into the city,

Walk from the North end of Central Park to Wall Street

If you are allowed to climb the statue of liberty, you must be on the first boat of the day.

If there is a cuisine you can't get at home, you can find it in NY

In my neighborhood, Monticello is good. Yorktown gives you a good feeling of space, as does Appomattox, because these three are relatively the same as they were 200 years ago. Avoid Williamsburg

Beware the South during the summer

Because of the heat?

Although this probably needs to be cut down because of timing - this is what I have made so far:

Boston/Massachusetts

Cape Cod

Harvard

Freedom Trail

Duck Tour

Fenway park - baseball game?

Museum of African American

Museum of Science

New England Aquarium

Rhode Island

Newport

New York

Broadway show

Ground Zero

Ellis Island

Statue of Liberty

Central Park

Un Building

Empite State Building

Sleepy Hollow

American Museum of Natural History

Philadelphia/Pennsylvania

Liberty Bell

Independence Hall

Franklin Court

American Philosophical Society Museum

Declaration House

Gettysburg

Eastern Pennsylvania State Pen

Cherry Springs State Park

Washington DC

The White House

Capitol Building

US Supreme Court

Arlington National Cemetery

Monuments/Memorials (African American Civil War Memorial/Museum, DC War Memorial, Eisenhower Memorial, FDR Memorial, Washington Monument, George Mason Memorial, Iwo Jima Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, Korean War Veterans Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Lyndon Johnson Memorial Grove, MLK National Memorial, National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial, pentagon Memorial, Teddy Roosevelt Island, US Air Force Memorial, US Holocaust Memorial Museum, US Navy Memorial Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Women in Vietnam Memorial, WWII Memorial)

Smithsonian Institute

Georgetown

Great Falls Park

Old Town Alexandria

Virginia

Jamestown

Monticello

Virginia Beach

Richmond

North Carolina

The Outer Banks - Wright Brothers

Beaufort

Asheville - Biltmore Estate

Roanoke Colony

Great Smoky Mountains National Park

South Carolina

Charleston - Boone Plantation Hall

Beaufort

Georgia

Savannah

Tybee Island

Florida

St Augustine

Daytona Beach

Jacksonville

Kennedy Space Centre

Sounds like fun.

Maybe as you get closer, people can give you some restaurant tips.

A couple additions....if you are walking NY, you might as well head into Chinatown/Little Italy. Grab some Peking Duck, and Uncle Vito has a few friends on Mulberry St who can point out a nice gravy and some cannoli and lemon ice.

In Boston, a cool place is the Isabella Gardener Museum. If anyone is Catholic, it's a must see as it has probably billions in art, sculptures, etc. Amazing. Cool nonetheless.

You might as well spend an afternoon in Baltimore. Try to get to Camden Yards which was the start of the stadium revolution here....I'd be happy standing in right field and drinking beer for $8. Then you can go to the inner harbor and get some crabs and such. I agree that Boston would be the #1 locale to see a game though.

If you make it all the way down the Florida coast, there are a few nice places and clusters in Miami/Lauderdale. If you like fishing, I would suggest going halfway down the Keyes to Islamarada. Great deep sea fishing and laid back, but much cheaper than Key West.

This is a great idea. I regret not spending a month or so in Europe yet while I am still young.

Oh...and a couple more...

If you can time July 4th in either Boston or Washington, that would be sweet. The entire city of Boston turns into a giant party for the weekend, and if you go down to the water the Boston Pops plays at the Esplanade with a giant fireworks show. DC....one of the coolest moments of my life was sitting on the Capitol steps for a Memorial Day concert. It was pre-9/11 so I don't know how strict it is now, but to wander the Capitol before and sit right under the Marine playing Taps...and all the majestic music and military there....it was something. I'm sure you guys would appreciate it if there.

And make sure you give yourselves a whole afternoon just for the Smithsonian. The Air+Space is awesome, and I always go there when in town. Another neat thing is to wait until night to visit some of the monuments. They are lit up, and not many people are around. Another special moment was being the only people at Iwo Jima at like 10PM after having a few beers. There was a crisp breeze and to just be there alone to take it in and reflect was special.

IMHO, the best place for him to stop and get a drink... or ten... is Dewey Beach, DE, which is between OC and Cape May. Full on debauchery all summer long.

I must have been there on a slow day a few weeks ago, not much debauchery. :-(

Phildelphia has several good places to find beer, if that's of interest. Also, Norfolk/Portsmouth, VA has a bunch of history (Navy, mostly), and a fantastic German place (The Bier Garden) within walking distance of a few hotels. If you're going to the outer banks, it's "on the way".

You can't go wrong traveling along the South Carolina low country from Charleston and down into Savannah Georgia. St. Augustine Florida isn't too far away from Savannah and that's a jewel too.

Lots of history and beautiful scenery.

The ladies in Charleston are an extra added bonus.

Savannah is great and I recommend spending at least a couple days here (no open container laws).

If you do want Beer, swing over to Asheville NC, not sure how out of your way it would be but great beer town and I am planning a trip there soon.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I am aiming to be in Boston over 4th because it makes sense to be where it all kicked off (i'm also very tempted to buy a red coat to show who i support :P)!

I'm also trying to drive as many scenic roads as possible (the list of national byway things). However this makes North Carolina a bitch as atm i am driving from Vriginia to Richmond to virginia beach/Outer Banks to Richmond to the start of the skyline drive (or whatever it is called)

The only thing i know about Baltimore is what the wire taught me, which is why i originally avoided it :D - i'll add it back in. Im gonna try and hit the NJ/DE bars section as well.

Keep the tips coming guys :)

Edited by ThirtyEight

Thanks for all the tips guys! I am aiming to be in Boston over 4th because it makes sense to be where it all kicked off (i'm also very tempted to buy a red coat to show who i support :P)!

I'm also trying to drive as many scenic roads as possible (the list of national byway things). However this makes North Carolina a bitch as atm i am driving from Vriginia to Richmond to virginia beach/Outer Banks to Richmond to the start of the skyline drive (or whatever it is called)

The only thing i know about Baltimore is what the wire taught me, which is why i originally avoided it :D - i'll add it back in. Im gonna try and hit the NJ/DE bars section as well.

Keep the tips coming guys :)

The killiing fields of Baltimore is worth a stop, The Inner Harbor is safe and compact. You can see what every tourist sees in 1/2 day. I would then use the balance of the day to stop in Annapolis and see that (as recommended above). Annapolis is an afternoon and then off to DC for a night tour of the monuments. DC at night, under the lights, without the throngs is worth doing. Then come back in the day and do what ever monuments/musuems you want to. DC is an all day or two.

If you do want Beer, swing over to Asheville NC, not sure how out of your way it would be but great beer town and I am planning a trip there soon.

Red coat would be awesome, BTW. :)

I'm a little confused as to your route there, but I think I have the gist. What might be fun is if you're going to Boston for the "Start", Yorktown, VA is between VA beach and Richmond, and where it effectively "ended". Jamestown VA is nearby, and that's the first permanent settlement in the US, another start (if I remember right).

Interesting that you're hitting Skyline drive (if we're talking about the same one, between Wanyeboro, VA at the South end and North end at Front Royal, VA). I've never done Skyline, but it turns into the Blue Ridge Parkway at the south end. I've done the BRP end to end (but not all at once), and it's a nice drive (similar to Skyline, from what I hear). I'd be really tempted to run from VA Beach to Asheville NC (1 day drive, stop in Greensboro NC for lunch). Then, Asheville to Skyline via the BRP (another day or so). Skyline can take awhile, since the speed limit is 35 and the rangers are strict. BRP is 35 and 45, but a little less strict. I love Asheville NC as well. I spent a couple days there last summer, and I'm heading down this February.

Oh, and if you do go VA Beach to Skyline directly, US17 and VA3 are nicer roads than the interstates (M-roads). They're generally 4 lanes (Dual Carriageway?), but hilly and a little windy and run thru towns. You can still make time on them, but they're more interesting. There's some great twisty backroads around there too, if you like that sort of thing I'll recommend a few.

Edited by MattPie

The killiing fields of Baltimore is worth a stop, The Inner Harbor is safe and compact. You can see what every tourist sees in 1/2 day. I would then use the balance of the day to stop in Annapolis and see that (as recommended above). Annapolis is an afternoon and then off to DC for a night tour of the monuments. DC at night, under the lights, without the throngs is worth doing. Then come back in the day and do what ever monuments/musuems you want to. DC is an all day or two.

In NYC, I'd disagree with GoDD on Chinatown and Little Italy. Chinatown is gross, especially in the summer, and there is plenty of good Italian food (and Chinese, for that matter) all over. For food, I would highly recommend Katz's deli (the famous fake ###### scene in "When Harry Met Sally" was filmed there) for pastrami and sour pickles, and John's pizza on Bleeker street (which you can combine with a stroll through the West Village, including NYU, Washington Square Park and the playground legend west 4th St. "cage" basketball courts).

I'd also recommend a walk up the High Line (an elevated garden overlooking the Hudson River) and the combo theater district double-decker bus/water taxi tour (although it's a touristy thing, it's still pretty fun -- I've taken visitors on it and everyone likes it -- the water taxi will take you to ground zero and a few other good spots). Also, since you've got museums on your itinerary generally, you should go to the Met and the Guggenheim, which are within a few blocks of each other on 5th Ave. (which is the eastern border of central park, where the truly stinking rich people in NYC live), and the MOMA, which is close to the southern border of central park. These are quite literally 3 of the best museums in the world.

Definitely get a cheese steak at Pat's or Geno's (or both, if you're man enough) in Philly.

I'd skip Baltimore unless you have a thing for aquariums or the Orioles. Camden Yards is nice but at this point the retro baseball stadiums are a dime a dozen. I'd go to Annapolis over Baltimore.

I agree with the DC monuments at night -- they are beautiful and it's much less hot and crowded. The other museums in DC are also really good and are mostly free. However, the weather in DC in the summer is putrid, plus it's crowded and the food stinks so I would pack as much in to a short period as possible and GTFO of town.

In NC, they aren't on the coast, but Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill are only 15 minutes from each other and are both beautiful campuses.

One more thing: for travel between Boston and DC, try to travel either late at night or early in the AM. The traffic is heavy and constant.

Have a great time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.