The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

I typically consume anywhere between 2000-8000 calories a day and I run anywhere between 0-50 miles per week. The past 6-8 months I've had a pretty solid streak of 4000-5000 calorie days and zero running. My weight didn't move at all, and I just had my physical, LDL is half the recommended limit and HDL is double the recommended minimum.

It's possible that this is my super power.

You lucky sonuvabitch. HOW.

I'm watching all the girls my age start to morph into "mom body" and holy crap I'm trying to avoid it. Metabolism/the body thinking it needs to pack it on to support tiny lifeforms.... ugh. Please god no.

Seems if I eat "correctly", I get thunder thighs. If I work out, I get an ass. If I don't do anything, my shape is the body equivalent of taupe- boring. I'm overly critical of every inch of this shell I'm hauling around, and starving it doesn't seem to get the results I want either. TEACH ME YOUR WAYS.

I am 52 years old, 6'0 and about 185. It's great to see all this activity. It was really frustrating when I hit about 35 and couldn't get any of my college buddies to get off the couch to do anything more than golf, and even then they'd ride a cart. Now I'm dealing with one after another with heart disease and they have diabetes and no energy. After an odd conversation I was thinking "hey, maybe if you could see your package you wouldn't need a pill", but what do I know. On my golf league last night most of the young people rode a cart to play 9 holes and then they ask how I stay so thin. I went to Darien lake Saturday because my kids were in a chorus competition, and it was so sad to see how obese this area has become.

I work out 4-5 times a week and when I don't, I start feeling lethargic. That makes it easy to keep working out. Tis morning I ran 4 miles before my kids woke up and I feel great.

I plan on getting 300,000+ miles out of this vehicle!

it's everywhere. I see so many kids that my mom teaches, or around town here in the Finger Lakes area that are not small! being slightly obese was not the norm when I was in school, but it seems to be the norm now! I already told my girl that whenever we do decide to have kids, they will be active, and won't eat whatever they feel like.

it's everywhere. I see so many kids that my mom teaches, or around town here in the Finger Lakes area that are not small! being slightly obese was not the norm when I was in school, but it seems to be the norm now! I already told my girl that whenever we do decide to have kids, they will be active, and won't eat whatever they feel like.

I told my parents the other day that if I have kids, I'm going to buy a small house so they have no choice but to go play in the yard. :P

....why?

'

Because I have a crazy metabolism and I'm always hungry. When I'm running high mileage weeks, 6,000-8,000 cal/day is just about perfect for my distance. I thought I'd have a problem when my mileage dropped a lot and my intake only dropped a little. But I may have dodged a bullet.

'

Because I have a crazy metabolism and I'm always hungry. When I'm running high mileage weeks, 6,000-8,000 cal/day is just about perfect for my distance. I thought I'd have a problem when my mileage dropped a lot and my intake only dropped a little. But I may have dodged a bullet.

I think our metabolisms are probably similar. If I was running that kind of mileage I guess I would probably be eating that way as well.

You lucky sonuvabitch. HOW.

I'm watching all the girls my age start to morph into "mom body" and holy crap I'm trying to avoid it. Metabolism/the body thinking it needs to pack it on to support tiny lifeforms.... ugh. Please god no.

Seems if I eat "correctly", I get thunder thighs. If I work out, I get an ass. If I don't do anything, my shape is the body equivalent of taupe- boring. I'm overly critical of every inch of this shell I'm hauling around, and starving it doesn't seem to get the results I want either. TEACH ME YOUR WAYS.

First, become a man. It's totally not fair, but we just have it easier. Second, recode your DNA to be built like a pale Ethiopian Marathoner.

If that's not an option, smile more.

100% of body types look better when attached to a smile. It's a fact.

I think our metabolisms are probably similar. If I was running that kind of mileage I guess I would probably be eating that way as well.

I'm extra lucky that my usual weight (140) is light enough to be easy on my knees and feet.

on the other side of the coin. I am completely unsuited for hockey and football. Not that it's ever stopped me.

Yowza, that seems like a lot of protein! In your opinion, does protein source matter? I eat meat only a couple times a week, but I do track protein from time to time and find that I am getting enough (or thought I was before seeing your post). For example, for breakfast, I had a cup of OJ, a cup and a half of shredded wheat with a banana and some blueberries, and a half a cup of soy milk. About 15g of protein.

In my opinion protein is protein, i very recently got into using whey isolate (protein powder) about a month ago, and i find that its tremendously helpful when trying to hit your body weight equivalent in protein, one shake for me is about 2 cups of skim milk which ends up at about 12-16g in protein from the milk alone, then two scoops of protein isolate, that totals to about 76g of protein per shake. I'll have one a day usually to supplement my normal diet which is pretty reliant on eggs, chicken and red meat.

I should note that the whole body weight equivalent is what many weightlifting pros recommend for maximizing gains, and that you wouldn't necessarily need that much just to ensure your muscles heal properly. It'll just give you the most bang for your buck if you will. The way my friend put it, If you are going to spend an hour and a half in the gym everyday, you might as well make the most out of it. its far from necessary, but its certainly very beneficial.

I've been a runner / cardio freak most of my life, so i got into the habit of really eating whatever, because i would be able to burn it off in no time. Protein was never a "goal" in my diet per-say because i rarely lifted weights. But now that I'm into it more than i was its definitely helped me out in the gym. A great tool that can help you track your food intake can be found here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

There's a food log diary that has an unbelievably extensive database of foods and nutrition facts. I'm talking as specific as "Wegmans white american cheese slice". It's a great way to really get an idea of what you're eating. I use it to track protein intake more than anything, but it's a pretty solid tool for that and much more! So as a very extensive answer to your question, as long as your protein sources aren't consistently saturated with other things that could be perceived as "bad for you" then protein is protein!

If you lift weights and then don't get ANYTHING to replenish the muscles within a short time (you'll hear anything from 20min to 60min), it can actually be worse for you than if you didn't even work out at all. You're tearing those muscles apart bigtime, and they're desperate to re-absorb nutrients and heal. If they're not fed immediately, they cannot heal effectively.

This is absolutely true, I didn't mean for it to come off as it did. I suppose the better phrasing would have been that it's hard not to see gains as long as you are eating a "traditional" diet without focusing too much on specific intakes of nutrients. Gotta put in what you take out at a minimum!

Just saw the emphasis on the 20-60 minute window you mentioned and I'm curious, I've actually heard a lot of differing opinions on this subject and I'm not sure where i stand on the subject. I've heard similar things from many friends who have started working out in the last 3 years or so, and have heard that it's not necessarily true from friends who have been around it for periods of time longer than that. The main argument i hear against it is essentially that your body absorbs different types of proteins at different rates and as a result as long as you get it into your body and get a decent rest period before your next workout, you will be okay.

For example, i did legs today. Leg press, extensions, curls, calf raises and then finished with a hard 6 miles on a bike inside 20 minutes. i think i was done with the whole shebang by 11:54 then i had to run to Wegmans to snag some milk for my protein shake. I'm just drinking it now. That fits inside the hour, but do you think that would have been detrimental if i didn't have it until say around 2?

Edited by BuffaloSoldier2010

I was a serious weightlifter for 20+ years, but unfortunately (as anyone over 40 on this board can attest to) time eventually catches up with you. All of the heavy weights you lift in your 20's and 30's will almost invariably cause injuries later in life. I don't know any serious lifter that hasn't developed shoulder problems (rotator cuff most commonly) by age 40, and many have knee, ankle, and/or back problems. Nothing more frustrating than not being able to do what you could always do...

I still lift 4 times per week, but my weights are way down from what they used to be. And, entire exercises (e.g., incline bench and pull ups) are a thing of the past due to a partially torn rotator cuff.

Now when I go to the gym and see the young guys loading up the bar on, for example, flat or incline bench and using poor form, I cringe because I know they'll develop shoulder problems later in life. :(

I was a serious weightlifter for 20+ years, but unfortunately (as anyone over 40 on this board can attest to) time eventually catches up with you. All of the heavy weights you lift in your 20's and 30's will almost invariably cause injuries later in life. I don't know any serious lifter that hasn't developed shoulder problems (rotator cuff most commonly) by age 40, and many have knee, ankle, and/or back problems. Nothing more frustrating than not being able to do what you could always do...

I still lift 4 times per week, but my weights are way down from what they used to be. And, entire exercises (e.g., incline bench and pull ups) are a thing of the past due to a partially torn rotator cuff.

Now when I go to the gym and see the young guys loading up the bar on, for example, flat or incline bench and using poor form, I cringe because I know they'll develop shoulder problems later in life. :(

A few of my friends are serious weight lifters. All of them are younger than me, and all of them are always hurt somewhere. Back, shoulder, quad, groin, something. It's to the point where I just laugh at them now. "Great Dave, you can bench 435, awesome. How's your back again?"

I used to be in the gym 6 days a week. I did that for years but I never wanted to be big. My shoulders will blow up fast so I only do light weight and calisthenics (need to look good in a suit, not a small t shirt).

I hate running so ###### much! I flat out refuse to do it. My cardio pretty much only comes from hockey and softball. That, and teaching my son the finer points of route running, QB footwork and DB footwork. (That counts,right)

Played hockey my whole life, quit playing after 1 season of pro-hockey in Florida, moved to California and competed in triathlons for about 5 years. Finished up with an Ironman in 2005, had 2 young kids at the time, didn't have time to train, so got back into hockey playing advanced adult leagues. Now coach both of my boys teams here in soCal. Still workout everyday, gym, run, bike or hockey. I'm in the gym twice a week and do a little of every major muscle group each time I'm there. Spend most of my time on legs (squats, lunges and calf rasises), followed by a 15min stretch which works wonders.

Between adult league, and my boys, I'm on the ice literally 6 days a week. I work from home fulltime as a network engineer, so I find time to workout in the mornings or lunch time before heading off to a local rink in the evenings. It's an addiction. If I don't workout I feel achy and depressed. The hardest part is trying to eat right and get enough rest to recover for the next day.

Edited by pi2000

If you lift weights and then don't get ANYTHING to replenish the muscles within a short time (you'll hear anything from 20min to 60min), it can actually be worse for you than if you didn't even work out at all. You're tearing those muscles apart bigtime, and they're desperate to re-absorb nutrients and heal. If they're not fed immediately, they cannot heal effectively.

USA Hockey is a HUGE advocate for drinking chocolate milk after a workout. They claim it's the best way to complement a workout.

I think, just reading this thread gave me a hernia..... I think back to my few years in the service and how good of shape I was in, healthy, ate better, etc...... Now even though I have a small build/Frame I'm weighing it near 200 lbs. Granted I still look skinny (that will catch up to me) I don't have anywhere near the energy or stamina I used to.... I don't watch what I eat and play tennis as much as possible, but with a schedule that is never ever the same, I just have given up trying these days

Is there a good protein shake I can buy at Wegmans post work-out? I could do that tonight after I leave the gym - that's something I've never worried about, but it sounds as if it's very important within 30-60 minutes after exercise ends.

Is there a good protein shake I can buy at Wegmans post work-out? I could do that tonight after I leave the gym - that's something I've never worried about, but it sounds as if it's very important within 30-60 minutes after exercise ends.

you can't go wrong with the Naked juice drinks with the protein added. They're a little chalky but I love them. They have like 16g or something like that of Protein. Compile that with a Clif bar, and you should be good for post workout protein consumption.

you can't go wrong with the Naked juice drinks with the protein added. They're a little chalky but I love them. They have like 16g or something like that of Protein. Compile that with a Clif bar, and you should be good for post workout protein consumption.

Thanks, Dennis!

Anyone else taking ZMA? I just started a few weeks ago - when they mentioned vivid dreams in the reviews, they weren't kidding! LOL

Yowza, that seems like a lot of protein! In your opinion, does protein source matter? I eat meat only a couple times a week, but I do track protein from time to time and find that I am getting enough (or thought I was before seeing your post). For example, for breakfast, I had a cup of OJ, a cup and a half of shredded wheat with a banana and some blueberries, and a half a cup of soy milk. About 15g of protein.

Agreed -- I thought 40-70 g was the standard recommendation for daily protein intake? I struggle to hit 40 g on days I don't have meat, which is why I started trying to incorporate quinoa, lentils, etc into my diet.

I typically consume anywhere between 2000-8000 calories a day and I run anywhere between 0-50 miles per week. The past 6-8 months I've had a pretty solid streak of 4000-5000 calorie days and zero running. My weight didn't move at all, and I just had my physical, LDL is half the recommended limit and HDL is double the recommended minimum.

It's possible that this is my super power.

Still, even with my health apparently fine regardless of my best attempts at sabotage, I feel like I have more energy and better focus when my mileage is up.

Maybe tonight I just sleep in my run shorts as a reminder to put a few miles in in the morning.

Are you Michael Phelps? :unsure: lol man, you are a lucky son of a gun.

I think I said the first go-round in this thread that I used to work out regularly in college, but I lost my workout buddy and have struggled to get back into a routine ever since. I'm not completely sedentary since I walk/stand a fair amount at work, take the stairs (5 flights) every day, and snowboard in the winter, but I don't exercise regularly and I feel out of shape even though I'm not overweight. I'm a night owl, but evenings are tricky because I don't always leave work at the same time and I usually don't feel like working out by the time I get dinner and settle in at home. So mornings are the ticket, but I loathe getting up early. I found a website called Condition for Life that does free monthly workout challenges where they post a short workout video every day for the month and you follow along, so I signed up and started doing that a few days ago. They aren't overly intense (so far), but I'm mainly aiming to make the short morning workouts a habit so I can continue with longer workouts as part of my routine afterwards. It's only day 3 of 30, but so far, so good!

Ended up stopping at Wegmans after the gym. I saw the Naked juice drinks - boy, they are pretty pricey at $3.49 each. I ended up buying a bottle of Bolthouse Farms Chocolate protein shake, which was considerably less at $2.49. 30g of whey/soy protein per bottle, and it's absolutely delicious - like a chocolate milk shake. No suffering involved in drinking it down. :)

I wonder if 1/2 of the drink is sufficient protein - 15 grams?

Edited by Jsixspd

Ended up stopping at Wegmans after the gym. I saw the Naked juice drinks - boy, they are pretty pricey at $3.49 each. I ended up buying a bottle of Bolthouse Farms Chocolate protein shake, which was considerably less at $2.49. 30g of whey/soy protein per bottle, and it's absolutely delicious - like a chocolate milk shake. No suffering involved in drinking it down. :)

I wonder if 1/2 of the drink is sufficient protein - 15 grams?

They are pricey, but if you can find the larger bottles (not sure they make all flavors in the larger sizes), it should be more reasonable. I love the Green Machine flavor.

<snip>

I'm overly critical of every inch of this shell I'm hauling around, and starving it doesn't seem to get the results I want either.

We can be our own worst critics sometimes, and I share this sentiment. Most days I feel like my body is this separate thing with which I'm forced to do battle and/or tolerate vs a healthy part of me, but I'm working hard to change that mentality. Doing things like snowboarding and hiking helps tremendously.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.