The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

Guest Sloth

I enjoy running. Try to run 6 days a week, but rarely fall below 5. I coach cross country. So after the teams finish their workout, I'll put in an easy 5 mile run. After the run, do a little work on the abs and throw in some pushups. One of the things I enjoy is the "runners high" you can experience. While you run, endorphins are released in your brain and when you finish you can feel very relaxed, have a clear head and feel sort of stress free. And being a Sabres fan, gotta love to run! Will probably run a bit more this hockey season...

i keep it simple, i walk 10 miles a day 6 days a week, eat healthy and it works. In the last 18 months i have dropped 120 pounds

Congrats on that! Keep it up!

i keep it simple, i walk 10 miles a day 6 days a week, eat healthy and it works. In the last 18 months i have dropped 120 pounds

2.5 hours almost every day? I hope you're a park ranger...

Dude... congrats! Probably a good way to zen out or listen to a lot of books on tape, too.

When I rowed I was fit. Then I quit but continued to eat as much as I did. Now I need to lose some of the weight. The finals hit and so I haven't had time. My aim is to get fit this summer.

I plan on doing Hight Intensty Interval Trainging as it is a lot quicker than normal running and probably more fun!

Otherwise I normally play rugby and ultimate frisbee. I also love croquet, but that doesn't exactl push yoj arobically!

I also quite like to swim because I'm so bad at it it means I get a lot of exercise in a short amount of time.

One of my friends runs 20km a day on average, it would be nice if I ha that drive. She also came too in her year. Life is unfair

2.5 hours almost every day? I hope you're a park ranger...

Nope, I am a Funeral Director. Own and run 4 funeral homes with my brothers. My homes are staffed with great folks which in turn allows me many hours of free time.

Dude... congrats! Probably a good way to zen out or listen to a lot of books on tape, too.

Thanks , sometimes my walks are silent but mainly music to keep my pace up. i statrted walking to release some of the stresses from my job, it is afterall an emotional challenge on a daily basis dealing with grief stricken families and trying to maintain an even keel and composure.

A few years back, I was about as active as I had ever been since my youth. I was playing beer league hockey year round and going to the gym religiously (sometimes even 6 days a week). Then two years ago this month, a random beer league jackass left me with a sprained knee and torn meniscus. I've never really been able to get back to that high level since then, thanks to many reasons.

With my wedding coming up, I took some time off from the beer league. With the idiots out here, I wanted to make sure I'd be able to walk that day. The little extra savings doesn't hurt either. I also switched to a different cheaper gym (essentially free), but have never really been able to get back into my old rhythm. I think it is mostly due to this place being about 20 degrees warmer than the previous one. I've actually been able to drop a couple pounds over that time, thanks the the fiancee introducing me to these crazy things called vegetables.

Yesterday was a bit of a new start for me. I decided that it's finally time to fight through the conditions in that gym and get back to a much more serious routine. It isn't very structured, but typically it is warmup run, lift, then a short run again to end the day. I'm also going back to the beer league come September. If I couple that with my new found relatively healthy diet, I'm guessing I'll be very happy with where I am physically. I feel like I need to get that activity level back up to a constant level now before age makes me even more lazy.

Nope, I am a Funeral Director. Own and run 4 funeral homes with my brothers. My homes are staffed with great folks which in turn allows me many hours of free time.

Thanks , sometimes my walks are silent but mainly music to keep my pace up. i statrted walking to release some of the stresses from my job, it is afterall an emotional challenge on a daily basis dealing with grief stricken families and trying to maintain an even keel and composure.

Have you watched six feet under? If so, does it portrait the job accurately? Sorry to momentarily derail the thread

Did that all the time when I was in Madison. Every full moon, year round. Kicked ass. Summers had hundreds of people bike with us go to the parks and skinny dip; winters had the few and the hardcore bike out on the lake ice and drink beers.

Our groups are smaller, a few dozen, but we ride twice a week. The Sunday night pub crawl is such an awesome way to end the weekend. Wednesdays are more of a "fitness ride" format, but not excessively so.

Guest Sloth

When I rowed I was fit. Then I quit but continued to eat as much as I did. Now I need to lose some of the weight. The finals hit and so I haven't had time. My aim is to get fit this summer.

I plan on doing Hight Intensty Interval Trainging as it is a lot quicker than normal running and probably more fun!

Otherwise I normally play rugby and ultimate frisbee. I also love croquet, but that doesn't exactl push yoj arobically!

I also quite like to swim because I'm so bad at it it means I get a lot of exercise in a short amount of time.

One of my friends runs 20km a day on average, it would be nice if I ha that drive. She also came too in her year. Life is unfair

Intervals are very important if you're trying to get in race shape. Depends on what type you do. Be sure to mix it up. Don't do the same distance/intensity every time. Have to mix it up. Very difficult, but very beneficial. You'll have a strong sense of satisfaction at end of an interval workout if you hit the times you planned on. So yes, it can be fun.

Intervals are very important if you're trying to get in race shape. Depends on what type you do. Be sure to mix it up. Don't do the same distance/intensity every time. Have to mix it up. Very difficult, but very beneficial. You'll have a strong sense of satisfaction at end of an interval workout if you hit the times you planned on. So yes, it can be fun.

Intervals are killer. I normally recover from workouts quite well and have decent energy the rest of the day/evening....but intervals, they frickin' wipe me out. Totally draining.

Guest Sloth

Intervals are killer. I normally recover from workouts quite well and have decent energy the rest of the day/evening....but intervals, they frickin' wipe me out. Totally draining.

Totally draining, but if done right, intervals can get in you in great shape. Always make sure the day after you do intervals you do an easy paced run to "recover" from the interval workout. Easy runs are just as important as hard runs. Oh, and sip water throughout the day. Keeps you hydrated and you'll feel better when you run. Also, stay away from soda. That stuff will dehydrate ya.

• 3 weeks later...

So I switched to second shift at work this week and I'm trying to adjust my schedule. Unfortunately this means I have to get my exercise in the morning when I get up. Exercising after work was nice because my body was warmed up and I had eaten something, but now I don't get either of those benefits and I feel like I don't perform as well. Anyone here a morning workout person?

So I switched to second shift at work this week and I'm trying to adjust my schedule. Unfortunately this means I have to get my exercise in the morning when I get up. Exercising after work was nice because my body was warmed up and I had eaten something, but now I don't get either of those benefits and I feel like I don't perform as well. Anyone here a morning workout person?

Me. I always have a cup of coffee first. I workout about 20 minutes after I wake up.

When I changed jobs in January I had to support a 2nd shift. That is when I stopped going to the gym. Prior to that I had a routine, 3 days a week I picked up the wife and we headed to the gym right after work. I couldn't get the motivation to go in the AM while she is at work so I went back to my lazy ways.

And with my current job situation I am in a position to go to the gym with my wife but we now can't afford the memberships. Hopefully that changes soon.

When I changed jobs in January I had to support a 2nd shift. That is when I stopped going to the gym. Prior to that I had a routine, 3 days a week I picked up the wife and we headed to the gym right after work. I couldn't get the motivation to go in the AM while she is at work so I went back to my lazy ways.

And with my current job situation I am in a position to go to the gym with my wife but we now can't afford the memberships. Hopefully that changes soon.

Routine is so important. I'm really pushing myself right now to try and get into one before it's too late. Fortunately I think the secret is getting up and doing something so that I am back in time to see the girlfriend off to work around 10. If I don't get up at 7:00-8:00 then lose a substantial part of my day.

• 10 months later...

So the lack of pullup from Sam Bennett has prompted a number of us to discuss physical fitness and such. As it is now summer and many of us will be active what do you do to workout or stay in shape?

At the start of the new year I was at my highest weight in my life. 195-200lbs depending on the day. At 6'1" that isn't bad by any means but I wasn't happy so starting in February I did the Insanity workout for a month. In March when the light finally allowed for it I started running and playing pick up basketball with some guys. In April I added to this with free weight and plank training.

Currently I am at 175-180lbs and I am in the best cardio shape of my life. I run 3miles on days we don't play basketball and I went from 20lbs curls 10X3 to 30lb curls 10X3 plus some other random feats. My goal by August is to be up to 40lb curls which would be a lot for me.

So what do we do to stay in shape? It can be now or in the past. Hell it could be what your plan is for the future.

.... I went from 20lbs curls 10X3 to 30lb curls 10X3 plus some other random feats. My goal by August is to be up to 40lb curls which would be a lot for me.

I started off curling detergent bottles (the ones with the handles) filled with water early in 2013. Couldn't have weighed more than five pounds. It was so pathetic — I could do maybe five reps. Now I'm up to a real 30-pound weight. I do three sets — something like 12 reps, then 10 reps, then 8 reps with my right arm. My left arm is a little weaker. I feel like I've hit a wall. I no longer see any gains and wonder if I should drop back to 25 pounds. My biceps are about 13 inches, which is probably only average, but coming from the actual non-existence of said muscle at the beginning, I am happy.

At the end of last winter I was at an all time high of 210. I weighed 175 this morning despite having a very bad weekend of eating. I think my metabolism is all fired up now, but I have to be careful not to yo yo back in the other direction. That's my M.O. I'm actually concentrating now on eating very healthy and exercising a lot and letting the weight fall where it may. I think if you get stuck on a number, when you get there, you quit. And then you're in trouble. And I'd love to gain back weight in the form of muscle, of course.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.