The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

I haven't done any sport in over 5 yrs, used to be rather fit, but since i started working shifts in my airport job , missed to many practices and games.

So kinda quit, gotten fatter ever since seeing my beer consumption went up along with it. :blink:

been drinking less lately though, and lost around 6 kgm, would love to lose 15 more :D

Fell off the workout wagon when I lost my job in January. Cancelled the gym membership when we got the announcement. Although I managed to avoid unemployment I haven't re-upped with the gym yet. I still feel like my work situation is temporary. Unfortunately I've gained back nearly all the weight I lost during that year spent at the gym.

Is that you Lance Armstrong?

This thread is about as dedicated Sabres hockey as the who cares what you eating or drinking one. But hey its summer.

No need to douche this thread up. Off topic conversations are what make this forum the tight community that it is.

I envy this mentality, I do it well for a few months then as soon as I make progress, boom I stop. I think its because I find lifting weights to be stressfu/added stress, and not a stress relief like a sport, but good for you for keeping a tight schedule.

Finding a workout you enjoy doing is really the key. Have you tried anything like p90x or insanity? I know at least a few people who found stuff like that to be a decent midpoint between sports and traditional weights.

I play ultimate frisbee twice a week, lift twice a week, play hockey once a week, and sprinkle in some tennis here and there (but tennis is not a real workout if you're playing a match).

We're getting ready for the Wildwood frisbee tournament in a couple weeks. A weekend of playing frisbee on a beach and never being sober :wub:

My family is mostly responsible for my being in shape right now, as I lift with my oldest brother, play hockey with my younger older brother, and play frisbee with both brothers and my sister. My sister is a tennis nut and I'll hit with her sometimes, but I got sick of the sport after playing it in high school.

Alright beer league hockey players, be honest now. Who drinks while on the bench?

I drink on the bench for drop in, and in the locker room after league games. I can't freakin' breathe when I skate hard while drunk.

Living with d4rksabre since he decided to become an active cyclist has made me get back into the workout game... I do a kickboxing dvd (used to be a blackbelt/teach, so it's good to go through the motions again) and on Saturdays volunteer at a barn where I throw bales of hay around and push wheelbarrows loaded with manure through mud in 90 degree heat. Sweats it all out.

Did crossfit bootcamp for awhile but it was just wayyy too expensive. A couple freeweights and a loop around the complex and I can do pretty much everything I learned there.

Cut the beers to weekends only and i try to make sure to keep tasty treats at a minimum around the house. Grazing man, packs it on. Dress size 6 (weight has never been a good measure for me), just toning it up/staying healthy. Can't run well, much to d4rk's dismay haha

More or less enjoyable than watching the average Sabres game?

Well, it takes grueling persistence, ability to put up with the bad smell, some heart warming loyalty, and a few tear jerking moments.... and then I go to the barn to recover.

I have had weight issues for quite awhile...was on a roll last summer finally hit my groove and then I tore my quad tendon in a freak accident going down the steps on my WAY to the gym. Since then I have done OK i suppose, but during my rehab I couldn't even bend my leg for over 6 weeks, and then it has been the long road to recovery. But I am finally to the point where walking is just fine so I'm taking it literally one step at a time. That is what my recovery taught me the most. It took years for me to pack on this weight that I embarrassingly have. But I cannot take it off in 1 month. So one step at a time.

What I am finding though is never slack on the eating part. It is a daily challenge, and I am finally starting to conquer that but it is slow process. Balance is key. More natural foods definitely help. Balance the carbs and eat good protein, not a bunch of processed meats. Consistency is my biggest problem, it is not that I am not a total failure, it is just that I don't make progress.

I am the Darcy Regier of weight loss: Status Quo.

After the leg started to feel better, then the back was an issue. In short, do not ever tear your quad tendon, it is a rough road back.

Edited by (E5)

Man, you folks are a healthy/active bunch! I'm more sedentary than I would like, and I miss being in better shape. I was never athletic in high school, but during my first 2 years in college I made a friend at the office where I worked during the week, and she and I joined a gym together. That was great, because we got out of work at the same time and took turns convincing each other to go exercise when motivation was low. We went 5 days a week for a solid year, but when I moved away to finish school I fell out of that routine and never got it back. Unfortunately our work schedules are now completely different (and my hours aren't always predictable) so we can't go together anymore.

Every now and again I try to start up an exercise routine, but I haven't been very successful at making the habit stick more than 2-3 weeks. I'd much rather find an activity I enjoy that burns calories, and I love snowboarding but once a week during the winter months is hardly sufficient, lol. I do take the stairs as much as possible at work (5th floor), and get some exercise doing yardwork in the warmer months. I really need to find a way to build regular workouts into my schedule, though.

Finding a workout you enjoy doing is really the key. Have you tried anything like p90x or insanity? I know at least a few people who found stuff like that to be a decent midpoint between sports and traditional weights.

I tried this aerobic program called pliometrics before and it had some cool variations of step up push ups and stuff, almost sprung for the p90x but my biggest downfall is always consistency. Being on call a lot really doesn't help my already inbuilt procrastinating and inconsistent nature lol

Man, you folks are a healthy/active bunch! I'm more sedentary than I would like, and I miss being in better shape. I was never athletic in high school, but during my first 2 years in college I made a friend at the office where I worked during the week, and she and I joined a gym together. That was great, because we got out of work at the same time and took turns convincing each other to go exercise when motivation was low. We went 5 days a week for a solid year, but when I moved away to finish school I fell out of that routine and never got it back. Unfortunately our work schedules are now completely different (and my hours aren't always predictable) so we can't go together anymore.

Every now and again I try to start up an exercise routine, but I haven't been very successful at making the habit stick more than 2-3 weeks. I'd much rather find an activity I enjoy that burns calories, and I love snowboarding but once a week during the winter months is hardly sufficient, lol. I do take the stairs as much as possible at work (5th floor), and get some exercise doing yardwork in the warmer months. I really need to find a way to build regular workouts into my schedule, though.

Habit is such a big part of the picture and starting a routine is always the hardest part. I sorta lucked out that the way my job is right now I come home from work a sweaty mess and figure I might as well go run or bike before I shower. I have a routine. But when I switch to second shift in August it's going to suck motivating myself to get up in the morning and get the same kind of exercise. I'll probably slip for a while until I get into the habit of playing pickup hockey at noon at the rink near work every other day during the winter.

Where do you think you could fit some small amount, even just 30 minutes, into your schedule a couple days per week?

Habit is such a big part of the picture and starting a routine is always the hardest part. I sorta lucked out that the way my job is right now I come home from work a sweaty mess and figure I might as well go run or bike before I shower. I have a routine. But when I switch to second shift in August it's going to suck motivating myself to get up in the morning and get the same kind of exercise. I'll probably slip for a while until I get into the habit of playing pickup hockey at noon at the rink near work every other day during the winter.

Where do you think you could fit some small amount, even just 30 minutes, into your schedule a couple days per week?

That last sentence gets at the biggest roadblock for me: motivation. On the nights I do get motivated and force myself to work out for 30-45 minutes (I have a couple of cardio kickboxing dvds that I like), I not only feel better about myself afterwards, I'm also surprised how much time I still have left in the evening to do other stuff around the house. It's much easier if I plan ahead and have a snack late in the day at work so I'm not hungry when I get home, but I also struggle with the perceived hassle and waste of needing to get a shower after working out and again the next morning. I really wish I could be a morning person and exercise before going in to work so it'd be harder to skip, but I'm a chronically under-rested night owl who hates the alarm clock. :(

That last sentence gets at the biggest roadblock for me: motivation. On the nights I do get motivated and force myself to work out for 30-45 minutes (I have a couple of cardio kickboxing dvds that I like), I not only feel better about myself afterwards, I'm also surprised how much time I still have left in the evening to do other stuff around the house. It's much easier if I plan ahead and have a snack late in the day at work so I'm not hungry when I get home, but I also struggle with the perceived hassle and waste of needing to get a shower after working out and again the next morning. I really wish I could be a morning person and exercise before going in to work so it'd be harder to skip, but I'm a chronically under-rested night owl who hates the alarm clock. :(

I feel your pain. I hate getting up in the morning to exercise. I'll tell you what I'm going to try when I switch to second shift and maybe it'll work for you.

I swear by these Gatorade energy chews. It's just B vitamins. When I get home from work I'm usually physically exhausted so I eat a pack and have a cup of coffee followed by a 15-20 minute nap. It gives the chews and a cup of coffee time to digest. With any luck I get fidgety and have to get off the couch to go run or bike or something. So what you might be able to do is keep a pack next to your bed, ready to go for the morning. When your alarm clock goes off, eat em, and then hit the snooze button. You'll doze for a bit but suddenly your body will want to get up and move and you'll have no choice but to go do something physical.

Just a theory from another night owl. :angel:

I feel your pain. I hate getting up in the morning to exercise. I'll tell you what I'm going to try when I switch to second shift and maybe it'll work for you.

I swear by these Gatorade energy chews. It's just B vitamins. When I get home from work I'm usually physically exhausted so I eat a pack and have a cup of coffee followed by a 15-20 minute nap. It gives the chews and a cup of coffee time to digest. With any luck I get fidgety and have to get off the couch to go run or bike or something. So what you might be able to do is keep a pack next to your bed, ready to go for the morning. When your alarm clock goes off, eat em, and then hit the snooze button. You'll doze for a bit but suddenly your body will want to get up and move and you'll have no choice but to go do something physical.

Just a theory from another night owl. :angel:

Lol love it. I've heard of the pre-nap caffeine trick before but never tried it. I also read a trick someone used for getting out of bed was to start looking at a news feed since curiosity will get your brain going, but I think I'd probably get distracted and start checking my email, haha.

I watched the documentary "Fat Sick, and Nearly Dead" back in January. It inspired me to give juicing a try and to start working out again. I signed up for Planet Fitness and began working out in February. I usually go to the gym everyday to complete an hour and a half work out (16 minute cardio warm-up, lifting, and then a 16 minute cardio cool-down) and, if I cannot make the gym, I do something physically active in its place. Juicing has given me a lot of energy and I feel so much lighter, as the micronutrients have helped "cleanse" my body. I have also significantly cut back my drinking (it is helpful that it is the off-season as well, as watching the Sabres play usually makes me want to have copious drinks). I fell off the work-out wagon in mid May (I got a really bad cold coupled with bronchitis), but have maintained my weight since then (which is a huge accomplishment for me). I have dropped 60 pounds so far and look forward to dropping some more. I am resuming my gym routine once I get back from my current trip to the Keys.

Kudos to all of you for being physically active in some way, shape, or form. As we get older, making time for exercise gets harder and harder because responsibilities mount. Keep on keepin' on friends! :flirt:

Thanks Bio....I have a looooooooooooonnnngggg way to go, but I feel I am off to a good start. If only I had never started dating beer and vodka....

Physics, word! Poor timing by my immune system, but I have enjoyed my time now that I am healthier. Vacation suits me better than the gym...and bronchitis! ;)

I tried this aerobic program called pliometrics before and it had some cool variations of step up push ups and stuff, almost sprung for the p90x but my biggest downfall is always consistency. Being on call a lot really doesn't help my already inbuilt procrastinating and inconsistent nature lol

Yea I'd imagine the on call thing really hinders making any kind of a routine :lol:

I wish I had better advice than "find something you enjoy"...but I really don't. Only other thing I can suggest is to try to get somebody to work out with you so you can motivate one another, but I'd imagine your schedule would hinder that as well :(

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.