The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

13 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I broke 200 lbs this week.

Not a sweat per se, until I walked up a flight of stairs 😂😂

I need to get my ***** figured out so I can do more active things that will inevitably lead to injuring myself again 😜

I would love to break 200 lb. but I think we're talking about opposite directions.

I'm 6'-2", currently about 235, I really do feel better at 200.  I need ride my bike more, but the groups I ride with are a Saturday breakfast ride, a Sunday pub crawl, Taco Tuesday ride.... I mean at least I'm "earning" those treats but I'd be better off if I just rode and didn't get the extra stuff.  From last night's 27 miles in a 20 mph wind:

mG3FJZgMbacQY8nsXMVyk3Uu-LmoQHZEGO9Fbw7I  74WYgJt-AwNCOuOmnsD-EjGdH3YxfMGHVhmoXp1F  RH_D8myr8ovzZ3wyt9ymHnGOEKeTSwoBBhK58qSr

By the way, the arena in the last picture is where our NLL team plays- the Panther City Lacrosse Club (Panther City is a nickname for Fort Worth in much the same way Nickel City is for Buffalo).

Edited by Doohickie

10 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

You gotta find some elevation in Texas and hit those hill repeats 😉

Plenty of elevation to come by here in Ithaca, lol. It's not majestic alpine passes or anything, but there are just endless segments like this around.

https://www.strava.com/segments/723649

When you start getting 100 degree days, you learn to mow the lawn starting at dusk.  I just edged, mowed and blowed the front lawn, walked the dogs, then mowed the back lawn (we have good flood lighting back there).  I ran my Strava the whole time; it said it was 98 when I started and I walked over 5 miles.  That was a good sweat, and now my lawn is done for the week. 🙂

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Does anyone do (sorry, practice) yoga? If so, what programs or YouTube folk do you use.

Trying to get back into it. Looking for someone I don’t want to strangle.

Ugh! I can't ***** do it! 

Once upon a time I did a few P90x circuits. There's a 2 hour yoga workout on there that I never made it more than 55 minutes into. Very difficult. Fantastic workout. I was always dripping sweat afterwards, but it never soothes my mind or whatever people claim to get out of it. Yoga and ASMR, 2 things that people claim to be soothing, just make me want to hit stuff. Mostly it's the voices, and the dumb ass words used.

I was taking my dogs for their afternoon walk and they got about 3 blocks from the house and said "***** this!" They're both laid out in front of the a/c vent and I don't forsee them moving until the sun goes down. It must suck not being able to sweat.

On 6/29/2022 at 9:44 AM, SwampD said:

Does anyone do (sorry, practice) yoga? If so, what programs or YouTube folk do you use.

My town has a recreational center.  They offer all sorts of classes.  My wife is currently taking yoga every Wednesday.  Maybe your town, or a nearby one, has something similar.

On 6/29/2022 at 9:44 AM, SwampD said:

On 6/29/2022 at 11:23 AM, ubkev said:

Ugh! I can't ***** do it! 

Once upon a time I did a few P90x circuits. There's a 2 hour yoga workout on there that I never made it more than 55 minutes into. Very difficult. Fantastic workout. I was always dripping sweat afterwards, but it never soothes my mind or whatever people claim to get out of it. Yoga and ASMR, 2 things that people claim to be soothing, just make me want to hit stuff. Mostly it's the voices, and the dumb ass words used.

I do it from time to time, trying to make it a daily 15 minute thing. Did today outside, that was nice.

This sounds like a ridiculous recommendation, but Cosmic Kids Yoga on Youtube. There's no woo-woo yoga stuff, and almost all the sessions are 30-60 minutes and a parody of some pop-culture story (Star Wars, Frozen, whatever). I do it with my daughter (7) but if I were going to pick a random youtube thing to use, I'd consider it because it's not annoying.

I've done Peleton's yoga sessions a few times, and they're a bit intense for me. I think the app is like $7 or $11 a month, and if you're interested in their other stuff (the spin class stuff of course but also various cardio and strength workouts too) it might be worth it. It's not woo-woo, but it's kinda high-energy (if that applies to yoga at all) with music and the instructor being kinda shouty. Free trial for I think 2 months. The content available at one time is kinda limited, but I think there are occasional live sessions and new stuff rotating through.

I have a subscription to Wahoo's Systm for my bike smart trainer, and they also have yoga and workouts too. I probably wouldn't recommend it if you're not going to use the bike stuff, really, but the strength workouts and yoga are zero-nonsense which I kinda dig. It's literally a person standing on a mat with a concrete wall and floor, like a factory building, doing the workouts with a fairly monotone voice narrator describing what you should be doing. The killer feature for me is you can just set up a plan (Yoga 7-days a week and Level 1 strength 3-days a week, I think I'm doing) and it just puts them on a calendar. This isn't unique by any means, but oh do I love just doing whatever it says and not thinking about it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rode a measly 12 miles on this morning's breakfast ride.  Basically rode to the start, shortest possible route to breakfast (5 miles), then straight home.  It was in the 80s when we started, 90s when we finished and up to 103 currently.  Original forecast was for a high of 113 but they've backed that off a bit.  Still.... HOT, which is why we rode one of our shortest breakfast rides ever.

--qILgKCI3lA2K88fuzaBhBcqYtuM8tfFNx6FAed

RekGQjS6T_lQYqEKD88P6loZhX_kBBWHpCVK6AJM

• 4 weeks later...

The wife bought a peloton bike. Got it yesterday.  I was really prepared to hate it, but there is so much to choose from on there. I opted for a 30min cycle on Iceland today. Now am a sweaty mess. Fitness has dropped dramatically over the last 2 years. No more!!

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Road my bicycle 30 miles Saturday morning.  It was great until the last two or so, when my body decided it was overheating.  I got home but was verging on heat exhaustion. 

30 miles in the August Texas heat and humidity is not a good idea.

On 8/7/2022 at 1:15 AM, ubkev said:

I'm in Florida....in *****in August. I'm sweating! 

I was there two week agos (not by choice). It wasn't much fun outside until like 10PM, and then it was too late.

I was up in Buffalo over the weekend, and tried out the Clarence/Newstead/Akron rail trail network. Nice enough trails, although there were only a few "interesting" parts. Most of it an 8 ft paved lane with the trees cut back fairly far so limited shade. The part between Wherle and Clarence Park on the West Shore Line was probably the nicest, although I didn't do the Western-most part of the Peanut Line from Transit to Goodrich Rd. If you're looking for a nice, flat, paved place to ride a bike, this is your jam.

https://www2.erie.gov/clarence/sites/www2.erie.gov.clarence/files/uploads/pdfs/BikePathBrochure.pdf

https://www2.erie.gov/newstead/sites/www2.erie.gov.newstead/files/uploads/SKMBT_C28420071511470.pdf

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.