The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

I didn't ride since Friday, partly because a little home project I did this weekend and partly because we had a solid day of rain that ended Wednesday afternoon.  Finally got on the bike Wednesday night.  Rode 17 quick miles.  At this point I can get to downtown from my house, 7 miles, in about a half hour.  There are several stretches on my ride where I'm either in bike lanes or on streets where I literally won't encounter a car for miles.  Fort Worth has a pretty good system of neighborhood feeder streets that don't have much traffic but go on uninterrupted for a mile or two or three at a time.  Not fast enough for cars but they're like superhighways for bicycles.

omSc67eqvyw0km-O44FKRsBnqUEnryVxyvrqzCzBDHA-2048x1151.jpg

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

Maybe you're getting bored with my bicycle posts, but this is kind of a big one.  For the first time this year, I rode 50 miles.

I helped pay for this tower when my son attended Wesleyan from '09 to '13.  (I can only assume that some of those tuition dollars found their way into the building fund.)

mJL82c-3joJeThSEs4Vqcm_fOaXXqUTdpJAkL7Vvi8A-1152x2048.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Maybe you're getting bored with my bicycle posts, but this is kind of a big one.  For the first time this year, I rode 50 miles.

I helped pay for this tower when my son attended Wesleyan from '09 to '13.  (I can only assume that some of those tuition dollars found their way into the building fund.)

mJL82c-3joJeThSEs4Vqcm_fOaXXqUTdpJAkL7Vvi8A-1152x2048.jpg

50 miles! Wow 

• 2 weeks later...

60 for the first time this year

Airfield Falls... from above the falls.

21fvMl0GZnKRegBcWo2CMX6cL40HQTg7gv-8ZShxyto-2048x1152.jpg

A rest break in Quanah Parker Park.  This was the point where I paused to decide if I was going to just take the shortest root home or go for my age (57).  As it turned out the route I picked took me all the way to 60 miles.

550PRudatrsi46vkAxrrUcXEmUE2SjgUdv4yNBwti6E-2048x1152.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've been riding the bike a lot and it's helping with the weight loss.

My 58th birthday was yesterday (yay me) so I set out to ride my age this morning. For an extra level of difficulty I rode it on a single speed fixed gear bike. I was great through 50+ miles but the last 10 I was dragging. I rode my age and them some, ended up just shy of 65 miles.

People get ready, there's a train a-comin'
N2r5ZzN-n2TvMesHm04AyIIncicxhFfRILMDwBwC

Coffee stop
IMfE7MOgOZAGVuhqqV7hBm-RQAq-VMpEkOEYkz5Bproxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fdgtzuqphqg

WqUAc6c-pDgtvbXKZ1CiLL1whr0Jsvk80km-VVXt

Airfield Falls (I've posted pictures of this before)
pKaAO8EI0KqbltC0_9tVxEdB3NHStR91UkYZiJvu

This is where I was when I reached my age... and had another 7 miles to go.
Cyih3J3SJMkIa1z3MLcValTiGninmC1T4ShaEUax
Edited by Doohickie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After the injury in August I did 4+ months of PT, rest, no training, etc.... I got back into it 2 weeks ago, indoor cycle and swim felt good, went on a single 1 mile run, at a very jog-like pace and could barely walk that night. Had an MRI this morning, tore my deep calf muscle. So now I'm back at square 1 with another long injury, stupid body. 

• Sad 2

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not a good week for miles this week.  Weather and other things disrupted by ride time.  I did put in 50 miles today for the Fourth of the July though.

RWIzTn7F-J5PgOwR8jXytvgBlGlbt0IpteliZGk6
Patriotic display in Burnett Park in Downtown Fort Worth

9ZyQJ8OXckr8r0Tf6iUMltrIL-jR377npNzEg0bY
Airfield Falls

dQBNpWT7XhwX_nn1Qvz0w7hVqXadTS-QW4mvvskS
Downtown Fort Worth from the trail across from Rockwood Park.  The floodgate on the left is painted with a mural of birds.  There are dozens of floodgates along the trail levies and during the pandemic many (perhaps all) had murals painted on them.

Ever since my injury last year that was a presumed achilles issue, my symptoms have lingered almost 10 months, it went from common injury diagnoses to rare ones. 

I was initially diagnosed with achilles tendonitis, then a soleus tear, then Chronic exertional compartment syndrome. I went through several tests that were not so pleasant and ended up at a vascular surgeon, after the ortho decided against trying elective fasciotomies. 

Last month we did dopplers and as soon as I flexed my feet, I lost pulses in both feet. So now we're chasing an even more rare condition called Popliteal artery entrapment syndrome. My MRA was inconclusive, so I'm set to get an invasive angiogram and venogram in the next couple of weeks; I'm sad that I've lost all of my progress from my training and on top of that, I can barely make it a whole shift without my lower leg swelling up 2x the size on the right causing numbness and tingling and pain. 

Moral of the story, don't train hard over 35 years old 😂 

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Ever since my injury last year that was a presumed achilles issue, my symptoms have lingered almost 10 months, it went from common injury diagnoses to rare ones. 

I was initially diagnosed with achilles tendonitis, then a soleus tear, then Chronic exertional compartment syndrome. I went through several tests that were not so pleasant and ended up at a vascular surgeon, after the ortho decided against trying elective fasciotomies. 

Last month we did dopplers and as soon as I flexed my feet, I lost pulses in both feet. So now we're chasing an even more rare condition called Popliteal artery entrapment syndrome. My MRA was inconclusive, so I'm set to get an invasive angiogram and venogram in the next couple of weeks; I'm sad that I've lost all of my progress from my training and on top of that, I can barely make it a whole shift without my lower leg swelling up 2x the size on the right causing numbness and tingling and pain. 

Or just listen to me when I told you to knock it off 2 weeks before you injured it! 😛

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Sorry Woody. Must be so frustrating for you.  Rest up and get well soon!

• Thanks (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

No bueno my friend.  Hoping things are discovered and you can get to recovering.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ubkev said:

Well, I just called the wind a....a bad word. Hows your day going? Seriously, how did I have a 14 mph wind in my face on the ride out AND on the way back? What the *****!?

Um, were you riding at 14 miles per hour?

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

Well, I just called the wind a....a bad word. Hows your day going? Seriously, how did I have a 14 mph wind in my face on the ride out AND on the way back? What the *****!?

You obviously started out riding in the wrong direction.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

If I‘m doing nothing,... just sitting,... I should not be sweating.

I’m tired of sweating.

This summer sucks. 

Side note. I found a jar of peanuts that my wife bought because my mom was in town. Last night, I remembered why I used to be 40 lbs heavier.

Had to dump the rest in the back yard.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.