The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

8 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I partially tore my achilles,

Dude.

What did I tell you?

STFD!

Slow and steady beats balls to the wall. 

Good luck with that tendon tear. How did it look in the mri? Frayed like an old rope at sea? It will if you keep beating it up.

Look at it as an opportunity to hit some upper body stamina. Arm bike is fun. 

10 hours ago, Ogre said:

Dude.

What did I tell you?

STFD!

Slow and steady beats balls to the wall. 

Good luck with that tendon tear. How did it look in the mri? Frayed like an old rope at sea? It will if you keep beating it up.

Look at it as an opportunity to hit some upper body stamina. Arm bike is fun. 

The podiatrist did an ultrasound and she could even feel the tear on exam before she was able to look at it on imaging. I really only ran once with some pain, but man did it get bad quick. The tear is in the worst area of the tendon, it's the one place it doesn't get very good blood flow, so healing is loooong 

I can still swim, and cycle, but I lost a little motivation at the moment, also the walking boot is kinda cramping my style lol. 

On 8/14/2020 at 1:01 PM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

So in new events, I partially tore my achilles,

That Sucks Tom Hanks GIF by PBS SoCal

Trying to beat the heat.  I meant to get up early Friday, Saturday and Sunday and get rides in before the temperature got unbearable.  I had limited success.  On Friday I rolled out at 8:20, a little later than I wanted, and got a bit over 25 miles in. I had some other things to do so I didn't want to ride too long. The mural is  Vanessa Guillén, a 20-year-old U.S. Army soldier who was murdered in Fort Hood, Texas (RIP).

dw-Tq5wShadAMQnPnHADn6Hb6EWiCRqYnlbC6xfcSu0-2048x1152.jpg

Saturday I didn't roll out near early enough.  I didn't get going until 10:30.  I barely survived 23 miles; by the time I got home it was 97 degrees.  This was at the highest elevation of my ride (you can tell because they put the water towers at the high points).

txZ7nc6_QSLQisFrWc8NY-k6SFaPpH4Hm2t_I1Yv2KI-2048x1152.jpg

Today I got going by 8 am and cranked out 43 miles.  I thought about stretching it out to 50 but it was just getting too hot (98 when I got home).  I rode all that way to ride the 6 mile path around Marine Creek Lake on the NW side of Fort Worth.  It's a very nice (read:  shady) and popular area.

Q8eaScrIgNO4i98N0aQuvOB9QVTo9LiveiBjBD-fypg-2048x1152.jpg

All together, a pretty successful weekend on the bike.

• Like (+1) 1

Happened to me too..  simply reaching up in the cupboard for a wine glass. My whole foot went numb. 

boot for 6 weeks

I went to see my volleyball team play the playoffs. They were one guy short I took the boot off. We won the championship. There is light at the end of the tunnel. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, spndnchz said:

Happened to me too..  simply reaching up in the cupboard for a wine glass. My whole foot went numb. 

boot for 6 weeks

I went to see my volleyball team play the playoffs. They were one guy short I took the boot off. We won the championship. There is light at the end of the tunnel. 

Damn, these injuries don't have a cool story usually. I'd be less bummed if, say, a shark bit my achilles or, I jumped outta a plane and cause it ?

46 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Hit the pool today for the first swim with the injury, not too bad, was rough not being able to push off the walls at all. I've officially pulled out of my half iron and will be a race volunteer, so basically on Sept 5th, I'm gonna day drink and yell motivational mumbo jumbo ??

That's what I do every year at the Boilermaker. All my friends run the 15k and I wait at the FX Matt brewery for them to finish while double fisting Saranac all day long. It's a wonderful day!

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 8/22/2020 at 8:34 PM, PASabreFan said:

I walked 10.5 miles today. Then the police stopped me and my grandson Nebula picked me up.

Futurama Reaction GIF

I did 14 miles on the bike tonight after disappointing and pretty lazy weekend.

s69bscuHdZ95qbBNEP7jV4WdC2HNr_J7zjbCvM1N

The lights on the horizon above my bike are downtown Fort Worth from about 5 miles out.

Edited by Doohickie

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I was feeling pretty proud of myself.  In about a month I've lost 12 pounds.  Then I realized that I weigh as much as I did before I lost 68 pounds in 2005.

You're fine! Just keep at it if you want to.

30 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

REAL men self-propel.

But I'll admit you probably have more fun.

This is true, I took the bike out and rode 10 flat miles this week.... Sadly the achilles was throbbing after that short ride. So now no running, no cycling and the walking boot will stay on longer.... I can still swim, but this whole thing has knocked me out of any groove I've had. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/31/2020 at 11:40 AM, ubkev said:

I double shifted the entire 3rd period last night. My last shift was over 7 minutes. Do I have to workout today?

I did proceed to drink 9 Genny cream ales after though...

Nothing left to work out after 9 Cream Ales... all your insides will be out.

On 8/14/2020 at 2:01 PM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

So in new events, I partially tore my achilles, had the podiatrist look today and I now have to shut down most of my training and have to pull out of the 70.3 in 3 weeks, huge bummer! I'll be sporting a walking boot for 3 weeks and need a repeat ultrasound to see how it's repairing, I can still swim and bike but I'm not feeling enthusiastic at the moment. 

That’s terrible! I’ve been dealing with a sore heel the last month or so. Started icing it, which helped some, now I’m soaking it in hot water which seems to help more. It’s mostly cycling for me now. Hope you recover soon 

24 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

That’s terrible! I’ve been dealing with a sore heel the last month or so. Started icing it, which helped some, now I’m soaking it in hot water which seems to help more. It’s mostly cycling for me now. Hope you recover soon 

I've been trying to rest up as much as possible, still hurting, I think I'm gonna see a PT fairly soon and see what I can do. I'd like to start training again by October, although I know that may be optimistic 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.