The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

10 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Haha thanks, I am enjoying the fitness levels slowly but surely coming up. I should really be adding strength training to my regimen but damn I'm whooped after working and the endurance training. 

Take it easy on that shoulder man! 

I'd say to try lifting beforehand so that there is glycogen in your system allowing you to push harder during your cardio. But you're not exactly doing regular old run of the mill cardio. Maybe an early glucose spike is good, maybe it's bad. I don't know, you're the doctor! ?

20 minutes ago, ubkev said:

I'd say to try lifting beforehand so that there is glycogen in your system allowing you to push harder during your cardio. But you're not exactly doing regular old run of the mill cardio. Maybe an early glucose spike is good, maybe it's bad. I don't know, you're the doctor! ?

Dude, I'm living on GUs, Chews, etc for glycogen storage at this point lol. I've squeak in some pull ups/push ups, but I think it's a one or the other thing for me right now. My body still is in shock from the training, since at 35 years old I decided out of the blue to do one of the hardest events out there. That's ADHD for ya ???

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I rode 18 miles today over some pretty good hills. It was my third attempt. Last two times I turned back at like 12 miles with sore back and next time sore knee.. I stretched and warmed up real good this time and did it pretty easily. I feel good. Not sure how I’ll feel at 7 am though. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I rode 18 miles today over some pretty good hills. It was my third attempt. Last two times I turned back at like 12 miles with sore back and next time sore knee.. I stretched and warmed up real good this time and did it pretty easily. I feel good. Not sure how I’ll feel at 7 am though. 

Lower back tip that I'm finding works. Remind yourself periodically to keep your shoulders relaxed. Roll em back. Head up spine straight and most importantly engage your abs. Lightly flex your belly button to your spine. It takes some practice but it seems to be pretty helpful.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Lower back tip that I'm finding works. Remind yourself periodically to keep your shoulders relaxed. Roll em back. Head up spine straight and most importantly engage your abs. Lightly flex your belly button to your spine. It takes some practice but it seems to be pretty helpful.

Also, ice down your spine. I have made this a rule to do after any physical activity of any sort.

31 minutes ago, ubkev said:

That's interesting. I did some planking earlier this summer and had to flex stomach muscles for that, so I'll try riding, too

7 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Also, ice down your spine. I have made this a rule to do after any physical activity of any sort.

So, what I do, which works, is a heating pad. Love it. Could be both heat and ice increase blood flow 

19 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

That's interesting. I did some planking earlier this summer and had to flex stomach muscles for that, so I'll try riding, too

So, what I do, which works, is a heating pad. Love it. Could be both heat and ice increase blood flow 

Heating pad is great for before activity to loosen up the muscle (I never do that). Then ice after to keep the swelling down after you’ve done all the damage to the disks. At least, that’s my method. Seems to work. 

4 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Soon you'll be at 30 no problem.... Another small tip, pedal like you're feet are in a shoebox, you'll engage the hamstrings more (if you're in clip in pedals) and take some of the brunt off the quads ?

I mowed the lawns* this evening.  Yes, by the time I finished it was fully dark outside (I have lights in the backyard).  I wanted to finish tonight so I worked as quickly as I could.  It was 100 today, and even at dusk it was still solidly in the 90s.  I definitely broke a sweat.  Then after a brief rest I walked the dogs two miles.

*Lawns:  My neighbor is pushing 80 and has some health issues, so I've been mowing his front lawn along with my own.  So the two front lawns and my back lawn... probably about a quarter acre.  Did the edging and the mowing and the blowing in under two hours.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I'll have to look into the clips thing. 

I used to have pedals that were barely bigger than clip on the shoe and you could clip in on either side. The problem was, you had to wear the shoes to ride the bike. I switched to a one sided pedal so if I don’t feel like gearing up, I can just wear regular sneakers.

Strapless toe clips are great for the money.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

I used to have pedals that were barely bigger than clip on the shoe and you could clip in on either side. The problem was, you had to wear the shoes to ride the bike. I switched to a one sided pedal so if I don’t feel like gearing up, I can just wear regular sneakers.

Strapless toe clips are great for the money.

For road bikes it's toe clips all the way! "Clipless" are great and all, but I'm not buying magic shoes to ride my bike. For MTB I still rock flat pedals with metal traction pins. When you take one of those to the shin, you definitely don't forget it.

They make the dual sided pedals now, and speed plays, clipping in is a skill all in itself and you need to be initiated by falling at a stop light at least once ??, if you're just out for fun, clip in aren't necessary, but to push the pace at all, those are a solid purchase. 

On a side note, my triathlon coach is letting me trial an aero bike he had laying around, a Specialized Shiv, it's carbon which is super nice and the position the aero bike puts you in, it's just magic. If I like it, he'll give it to me for next to nothing and just let me pay in small increments over the next 2 years. I just took it out on my normal 30 mile route and I was flying! I was averaging 18mph on a course that I usually am around 15.5-16mph. The temptation is too great lol 

20200731_162023.jpg

• Like (+1) 3

On 7/30/2020 at 6:22 AM, JujuFish said:

Every time I try to do military presses, I feel 10 times weaker than I already am. Why do they have to be so hard? Haha.

It’s a great exercise when done properly. 
Stay seated(eliminates all possible cheats), use a light weight, the shoulder is a collection of smaller muscles, and don’t ever let the angle between the shoulder and elbow drop below 90 degrees! Military press isn’t about how much you do, it’s how strictly you do it.

Start with an empty bar and as many reps as you can do just to get the range of motion right. Get those smaller muscles on board first.  The weight on the bar will come.

I'm not in the clipless club.  I have platform pedals on a couple bikes, the half toe clips on the rest, including my road bike and fixed gear.  I do too much riding in the city and don't like the thought of my street being restricted when I'm maneuvering around traffic.

I ride for pleasure and exercise, not for speed.

Today's ride:  26.7 miles on this bike:

9PG1IOMuW9KOaXVXn1LnjLJomPIMGuZbSGF3l7kI

It's an old 1983 Raleigh Marathon frame, with a two-speed kickback hub, an old Brooks leather saddle and big ol' cruiser bars.  It's basically a racing frame built out as a cruiser.  When I first got the Marathon it was still in its original 12-speed drop bar configuration.  It.... evolved. 

Edited by Doohickie

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I'm not in the clipless club.  I have platform pedals on a couple bikes, the half toe clips on the rest, including my road bike and fixed gear.  I do too much riding in the city and don't like the thought of my street being restricted when I'm maneuvering around traffic.

I ride for pleasure and exercise, not for speed.

Today's ride:  26.7 miles on this bike:

9PG1IOMuW9KOaXVXn1LnjLJomPIMGuZbSGF3l7kI

It's an old 1983 Raleigh Marathon frame, with a two-speed kickback hub, an old Brooks leather saddle and big ol' cruiser bars.  It's basically a racing frame built out as a cruiser.  When I first got the Marathon it was still in its original 12-speed drop bar configuration.  It.... evolved. 

I don’t ride for speed either. I just like cruising and day dreaming. If (when) I play hockey again I’ll do more short sprints for speed, but until then it’s cruising and doing big hills. I’ll have to try out different handle bars, right now I have a big straight bar on a mountain bike. 

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I don’t ride for speed either. I just like cruising and day dreaming. If (when) I play hockey again I’ll do more short sprints for speed, but until then it’s cruising and doing big hills. I’ll have to try out different handle bars, right now I have a big straight bar on a mountain bike. 

Race Face handlebars. Check em out. They make very good MTB parts and they don't cost an absolute fortune. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Cycling is great, I look forward to the days where I don't have a heavy training load, cycling for pleasure or just sightseeing is great too. 

But also ripping down a hill at 50mph is also a Blast!!! Until I realize I have to go back up it. 

50 mph is too fast for me on a bike.  I've gotten up to 40 and even that's a bit dicey.  When I was riding to work there was another guy in the same building (but different company) who rode.  One morning as I came down the last hill to the office, there was a fire truck and an ambulance and they were with the other guy.  I saw him a week or two later and asked what happened.  He said his front brake cable snapped and his rear brake wasn't enough to slow him down to sop at the red light, so he intentionally took the bike into the back of a car, figuring his injuries would be less than if he got t-boned going through the intersection.  I've also seen people just lose it going down a fast hill and wipe out.  It doesn't take much.

That same hill, by the way, was the start of my ride home.  There was a Hooters at the top so I called it Hooters Hill.  It was pretty steep and in the beginning I could barely make it up.  After doing it a while, though, it got easier.  I recall one time when I came out of the office with my commuter bike, loaded down with my change of clothes and stuff, got to the light at the bottom of the hill and it was red, so I had to stop.  As the light turned green a dude in lycra on a carbon fiber bike came past me and hammered up the hill.  About halfway up I could see he was slowing.  I passed him with my 30 pound bike loaded with 15 pounds of extra crap, about 3/4 up the hill.  That was satisfying  ?

When I say "I don't ride for speed," don't mistake me for a lazy cyclist.  My bikes don't produce the fastest times, but it doesn't keep me from pushing myself hard.  I just don't care if the time isn't a world record.  I do it for me, not to compare with other riders (previous anecdote notwithstanding).

3 hours ago, ubkev said:

Just move. You live down there now. 

My old house was at the top of a hill.  The end of every ride was a climb.  So we moved.  To another house at the top of a hill.  To be honest, it makes me a stronger rider, having to climb the hill when I'm already tired.

I just finished my first ever Triathalon yesterday, it was a sprint Triathalon, so pretty short overall. What a unique experience, very intimidating also. I finished in 1:17 so fairly middle of the pack which is fine with me, I did beat my buddy by 13 minutes, so he owes me a calzone and a beer ??

On 8/2/2020 at 2:39 PM, Doohickie said:

50 mph is too fast for me on a bike.  I've gotten up to 40 and even that's a bit dicey.  When I was riding to work there was another guy in the same building (but different company) who rode.  One morning as I came down the last hill to the office, there was a fire truck and an ambulance and they were with the other guy.  I saw him a week or two later and asked what happened.  He said his front brake cable snapped and his rear brake wasn't enough to slow him down to sop at the red light, so he intentionally took the bike into the back of a car, figuring his injuries would be less than if he got t-boned going through the intersection.  I've also seen people just lose it going down a fast hill and wipe out.  It doesn't take much.

That same hill, by the way, was the start of my ride home.  There was a Hooters at the top so I called it Hooters Hill.  It was pretty steep and in the beginning I could barely make it up.  After doing it a while, though, it got easier.  I recall one time when I came out of the office with my commuter bike, loaded down with my change of clothes and stuff, got to the light at the bottom of the hill and it was red, so I had to stop.  As the light turned green a dude in lycra on a carbon fiber bike came past me and hammered up the hill.  About halfway up I could see he was slowing.  I passed him with my 30 pound bike loaded with 15 pounds of extra crap, about 3/4 up the hill.  That was satisfying  ?

When I say "I don't ride for speed," don't mistake me for a lazy cyclist.  My bikes don't produce the fastest times, but it doesn't keep me from pushing myself hard.  I just don't care if the time isn't a world record.  I do it for me, not to compare with other riders (previous anecdote notwithstanding).

My old house was at the top of a hill.  The end of every ride was a climb.  So we moved.  To another house at the top of a hill.  To be honest, it makes me a stronger rider, having to climb the hill when I'm already tired.

It's funny, yesterday there were so many people in 10k dollar bikes that I passed and at the end a guy on a 300$ diamondback passed me lol. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I just finished my first ever Triathalon yesterday, it was a sprint Triathalon, so pretty short overall. What a unique experience, very intimidating also. I finished in 1:17 so fairly middle of the pack which is fine with me, I did beat my buddy by 13 minutes, so he owes me a calzone and a beer ??

It's funny, yesterday there were so many people in 10k dollar bikes that I passed and at the end a guy on a 300$ diamondback passed me lol. 

I've been doing this sprint 4 mile ride, just to do a hard ride. Takes me 17 minutes, but Ive been cutting time off. 

Thought about it, that's more than a four minute mile. So those running a four minute mile could pass me! That's crazy, as I feel I'm flying, can't imagine someone running past me at that time. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.