The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

31 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The swim is the hardest part, I was training well up until Covid hit and then the Ymca's all closed, I was able to do 1.2 miles in like 50 minutes, that's still super slow, but now, it's very tough getting back into swim shape. My last real long swim before this week was March 6th ?

I have a sprint Tri on August 5th,a half marathon August 16th and then a Half Iron man September 5th. Assuming I don't die, the real. Training starts mid September for Ironman Lake Placid in July. I've already hired a coach and he's brutal lol. 

Care to join? 

The most I'd ever do is a sprint. I'm afraid of being in the water for longer than that. Open water swimming is so freaking hard! Oh, and I don't run farther than 5k either ?

On 4/20/2020 at 7:16 PM, ubkev said:

My new pedals for my mountain bike came in the mail today! Yes!

*****! I don't have a pedal wrench! Ok, bike store opens at 10 tomorrow. Get pedal wrench! 

Also, my storage hooks came in the mail today too. So now my bikes are all hanging up in my garage. Looks not half bad.

Have you ever gotten a soar back from riding? I did my longest ride yet, over 20 miles, and it was easy on my legs, but back is soar a few days later. Not sure if its the ride or this new chair I got ??? 

3 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Have you ever gotten a soar back from riding? I did my longest ride yet, over 20 miles, and it was easy on my legs, but back is soar a few days later. Not sure if its the ride or this new chair I got ??? 

Upper or lower back? If it's upper you might be collapsing your shoulders forward and in. Keep them loose and pushed back to open your chest. If it's lower back I have no solution for you. My lower back has been in some form of mild to excruciating pain since I was 12.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ubkev said:

Upper or lower back? If it's upper you might be collapsing your shoulders forward and in. Keep them loose and pushed back to open your chest. If it's lower back I have no solution for you. My lower back has been in some form of mild to excruciating pain since I was 12.

Lower, Hope it’s just temporary. 

2 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Lower, Hope it’s just temporary. 

Make sure your bike fit is alright, a seat too low will hurt the knees and lower back, and too high, will rotate the pelvis and cause a strain as well. Make sure the seat is forward enough so you're not reaching and I like to keep mine tilted down a hair as I use aero bars when I can ?

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is the straight flat sprint that ends my hour long trail/street ride.

I cracked the top 10 worldwide on this segment a while back. Then it got beat 1 day later. Well, today I cracked the top 9 by 7 seconds. Someone's gonna have to put in the sweat to beat that one.

Screenshot_20200721-120306_Strava.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

So, @ubkev, I find it absolutely hilarious that you do that sprint on W River Street to Marlboro Ave.

Maybe it's just me.

In a previous life I would be chearing you on at that very corner while smokin' a Marlboro Red.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
my typing is still no goodly ...
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, New Scotland (NS) said:

So, @ubkev, I find it absolutely hilarious that you do that sprint on W River Street to Marlboro Ave.

Maybe it's just me.

In a previous life I would be chearing you on at that very corner while smokin' a Marlboro Red.

How do you think I celebrate the ride? Cross the line then fire up a dart!

• Like (+1) 2

@ubkevawesome sprint! 

I was frolicking around last week as I always do, This is ride was insane, I think the elevation was around 4800ft for the ride. It was absolutley beautiful though. 

Also I did a 1.3 mile swim in Echo Lake in Acadia In about 55 minutes, certainly not earth shattering, but for open water, ill take it. 

Screenshot_20200723-083246_COROS.jpg

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

@ubkevawesome sprint! 

I was frolicking around last week as I always do, This is ride was insane, I think the elevation was around 4800ft for the ride. It was absolutley beautiful though. 

Also I did a 1.3 mile swim in Echo Lake in Acadia In about 55 minutes, certainly not earth shattering, but for open water, ill take it. 

Thanks. That's on a mountain bike. And not a fancy pants carbon frame(I wish!)

How nice was that hill that you hit 40mph on the way down?! 

And a 1.3 mile swim in open water would take me infinity, because I'd drown. I found my triathlon results from when I was 19. The swim took me 19:50 and it was half a mile. I would have a drop-off of about half if the length was doubled. So even if I could manage the distance I'd easily be 10 minutes behind you. You're killing it.

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

@ubkevawesome sprint! 

I haven’t burned that many calories this month.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ubkev said:

Thanks. That's on a mountain bike. And not a fancy pants carbon frame(I wish!)

How nice was that hill that you hit 40mph on the way down?! 

And a 1.3 mile swim in open water would take me infinity, because I'd drown. I found my triathlon results from when I was 19. The swim took me 19:50 and it was half a mile. I would have a drop-off of about half if the length was doubled. So even if I could manage the distance I'd easily be 10 minutes behind you. You're killing it.

I rode up Cadillac Mountain, it was intense, if it wasn't for the wind I would've probably gone 50+ but every time I picked up speed it blew me into the other lane, so I had to keep feathering the brakes. I think the fastest I've hit on the road bike is 58mph and that was not something I wanna do again. 

The open water swim is def helped with a triathlon wetsuit, helps with buyoncy a bunch. I'm still amazed at the people who fly by me like the rookie I am, especially when the 70 year old Grey haired guy on a bike gives me a helmet tip with no effort as I'm dying up a hill ??

17 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Meh.

Sex life? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I was pumped after this swim, considering in January I could barely swim 400 yards in a pool, it coulda been faster but my achilles is really sore. Hoping that doesn't become anything too much worse! 

Screenshot_20200729-133308_COROS.jpg

How'd you measure out the mile so precisely? Don't tell me you eyeballed that.

Oh and awesome job!

Edited by ubkev

24 minutes ago, ubkev said:

How'd you measure out the mile so precisely? Don't tell me you eyeballed that.

Oh and awesome job!

I use my coros watch, each lap around the buoys was about 500 yards, my sight swimming isn't so good so 3 laps ended me right where I needed to be ?

And thanks! 

6 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Hoping that doesn't become anything too much worse! 

Me too. I pushed a sore tendon in the left shoulder doing heavy military presses. Everything was holding its own until I fell and caught myself and ended up with a full thickness tear. 

Fitness is a drug and should be treated as such IMO. 

Also, they would be fishing my lifeless body from the water had I attempted that. 
 Very impressive.

40 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Me too. I pushed a sore tendon in the left shoulder doing heavy military presses. Everything was holding its own until I fell and caught myself and ended up with a full thickness tear. 

Fitness is a drug and should be treated as such IMO. 

Also, they would be fishing my lifeless body from the water had I attempted that. 
 Very impressive.

Haha thanks, I am enjoying the fitness levels slowly but surely coming up. I should really be adding strength training to my regimen but damn I'm whooped after working and the endurance training. 

Take it easy on that shoulder man! 

16 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Take it easy on that shoulder man! 

Just starting some very light weight training. It’s weird because I’m still muscular so people are looking at me at PT like I’m some weirdo in there with my 5 lbs weight and rubber friggin bands! 
 They don’t know I’m squatting 300 lbs down in my basement?.

13 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Just starting some very light weight training. It’s weird because I’m still muscular so people are looking at me at PT like I’m some weirdo in there with my 5 lbs weight and rubber friggin bands! 
 They don’t know I’m squatting 300 lbs down in my basement?.

I'm not the biggest guy, so I fear when I kick this Ironman training up another notch, I'm gonna start looking like a chemo patient lol. Damn you guys and your bigger builds ??

10 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Damn you guys and your bigger builds ??

It ain’t natural. I’ve been weight lifting and Ironworking for almost 30 years. Six weeks in a sling doesn’t erase 30 years in the gym. 
 Ironically though, the 30 years of intense activity is directly responsible for the injury. 

Which is my original point. Work hard, enjoy yourself, but listen to your body and don’t let it consume you. 

And it is sooooo ***** addicting!

Edited by Ogre

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.